PDA

View Full Version : Fast bows

bozzdrywall
01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
I in the market for a bow this year. I have shot lots in the last few but a couple of years ago my bow was stolen out of my truck hard case and everything.
So my ? is. What are the fastest bows on the market today?
What do you guys think of the 82 airborn by bowtec? I think this would be my first choice for a bow just want to hear what you guys think. And see what else might be out there. thanks

Bowzone_Mikey
01-27-2010, 10:36 AM
the 82nd is a great bow ... I shoot the 101st (excact same bow with longer limbs) I like a longer ATA so thats why i went with the 101 ....
Other Speed bows ... Hoyt Afterburner, APA Black Mamba 6.5 or the King cobra, PSE X force something or other, Mathews Monster or Z7 ...

a few others that are considered Speed bows that are a little more Obscure (not many dealers) Strothers SR71 etc.....

358win
01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
The PSE Omen 366 fps is looking good.

Blk Arrow
01-29-2010, 12:52 AM
The PSE Omen 366 fps is looking good.

People I know that have tried the Omen say it it is hard to keep the arrow on the rest unless it is a whisker biscuit. There is a major "Hiccup" when you draw over the peak of the cams. I spoke with Jim Hatch, the PSE rep, about it and he said it isn't a bow for everybody. You can mitigate the harshness of the cams by shooting a lighter draw weight but keep in mind that you have a 33 5/8" axle to axle with a 5 1/2" brace height. Could be a bit twitchy.

triggr31
01-29-2010, 01:06 AM
the monster is fast even at 60 lb with a 6 inch brace height , the airborne is very comparable

hardnocks
01-29-2010, 08:58 AM
if you are hunting i would not use any of the bows mentioned .the 5 & 6 in brace heigths do not allow you enough room to wear heavy gloves a clothes in the cold .

this is just my opionon but i would buy a good reliable bow like a hoyt ,pse. mathews, or a apa with a 7in BH. and i wouldn`t touch a air born with a ten foot pole.

rocksteady
01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Hey Bozz...Just buy a crossbow, you can pick one up shoot it for an hour and you are ready to hunt, plus you can take much longer shots (100 yards plus), pack it preloaded on your quad, in your truck.......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::m rgreen:

Just kidding all.....

Kudu
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Soo speed is your thing - what do you want single cam double cam?

The Bowtech bows are great, as are the Mathews, Hoyt, APA and Elite bows.

If it is out and out speed you want - then PSE is the answer - nothing comes close - they all are pretenders for second place I'm afraid.

Again As I have said soooo many times, go to a pro shop and try them all, go in with an open mind, test the bows without looking at the price tag, then narrow down according to budget.

Ddog
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Actually, in my opinion, all the new speed demons on the market are fantastic, the only real question is what one feels best in your hands.
i have been shooting bows for the past 20 years or so and have been bowhunting for the last ,,i dunno 17 or something like that and have the bows ever come a huge way since!, My favorite bow to hunt with it my single cam hoyt magnatec, it is a relatively slow bow compared to what is out there today, i am shooting it at about 260 fps the last time it was chronographed. I have never had one deer jump the string with this bow just because it is so quite, 95% of my shots have been pass throughs with a couple of 3/4 through. Speed is a great thing , but i think accuracy is most important as well as distance. In the past hunting seasons i have learned to not shoot at the almost shots and have made strict guidelines for myself to follow. I will shoot up to 40 yards but out of 70 + big game animals with my bows i have not had to.
Back to your question now, the bows that have been mentioned are all great, but just because they are faster than the others dont let this make your decision for you. Try others as well. All new bows are pretty sweet if you ask me.
cheers Ryan........Ddog

Red arch
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
The PSE X-Force series has pretty good speed throughout the line. THe Dream Season however is a "hunter friendly" version of the omen with the same 33-5/8 axle-axle with the only difference being the 6-1/2" brace height and an IBO of 348-356 fps. And yes it has the same Uf cam of the Omen of which
There is a major "Hiccup" when you draw over the peak of the cams. . Personally I would recommend the AXE 6 or AXE 7. The cams are super smooth to draw and are cheaper then the Dream Season. The AXE series has a 32-1/2" axle-axle with the AXE 6 with a 6" brace height and the AXE 7 with a 7" brace height. The AXE 6 gets an IBO of 337-345 fps while the AXE 7 gets an IBO of 327-335 fps.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
if you are hunting i would not use any of the bows mentioned .the 5 & 6 in brace heigths do not allow you enough room to wear heavy gloves a clothes in the cold .

this is just my opionon but i would buy a good reliable bow like a hoyt ,pse. mathews, or a apa with a 7in BH. and i wouldn`t touch a air born with a ten foot pole.

My old Hoyt Super Tec had a 5 3/4" BH ... hunted and harvested alot with that bow .... fully dressed up for cold weather ... one must learn to shoot a bow properly ...ok not shoot but hold a bow properly when using these short BH bows ... I love my Airborne but I Havent hunted with it ... I hunt with a Diamond Black Ice. I gave up my speed bows because of the agresivness of the cams and my bad shoulder

Ruger4
02-03-2010, 04:15 PM
I in the market for a bow this year. I have shot lots in the last few but a couple of years ago my bow was stolen out of my truck hard case and everything.
So my ? is. What are the fastest bows on the market today?
What do you guys think of the 82 airborn by bowtec? I think this would be my first choice for a bow just want to hear what you guys think. And see what else might be out there. thanks

my 3D Airborne is whistling at 325-326 fps , 30 '' draw 58-60 lbs,
maxes out at 64 lbs,and thats with a 7.2 gpi arrow

my hunting Drenalin is 310 fps same draw , and 61 lbs , same arrow , for the chrony but use a heavier arrow for hunting.