PDA

View Full Version : gps brands

kishman
02-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a new gps this summer and I'm abit out of the loop on this technology:confused: . Which ones do you guys use/recomend?
I don't think price:eek: should be too much of an issue. Thanks again everyone for all your help...

BlacktailStalker
02-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I just got the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS last fall. It's awesome, has everything you can ask for. Top of the line. Great unit and no complaints.

Steeleco
02-21-2006, 12:19 AM
I've been looking for months now, I decided on the Garmin GPS 60C I don't think I need the altimeter but if the right deal come's my way!!!
The one thing I did find is the Garmin mapping software is far better than the Magellan, I've had maggeln gps for almost 10 years, it's was great but I want to advance and for the mapping reasons alone I picked Garmin!!

sealevel
02-21-2006, 06:57 AM
I have had both the germin is easyer to use and if you are only going to use it on the highway or on the water or the praire there great. A megellan works in the thick trees in bc i would get a megellan.

Ronforca
02-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I would go for the Garmin 60C or the Vista C.I have the Vista which is not in color but still has 24 Megs of memory.I find that mine picks up the satellite spretty good.I have had the Magellan Map,Lawerence and Cheap Garmin.They all work fine but you need as much memory as you can get for Maps.The color version is much easier to read.

hutch
02-21-2006, 08:05 AM
garmin gps map76

lapadat
02-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Another vote for the Vista. Easy to use, easy to upload maps and download track/route info to your computer.

lap

Onesock
02-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Saelevel-
You prrobably had old Garmin's. The new ones with 12 satelite receivers are not bothered by tree's.

johnes50
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
If you want a handheld, then the Garmin Legend Cx, Vista Cx, GPSMAP 60Cx, GPSMAP 76C are good choices. They are all autoroutable and you can upload any map you want into them. You can buy microSD memory cards for the Cx models. Expandable memory is a big plus.

Check these sites out to compare units.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/

http://www.gpscity.ca/

kishman
02-21-2006, 12:14 PM
thanks guys,:D 60cx and the new vista c models definitly have everything I need. Just have to make up my mind now....

Ozone
02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
If your going to run the mapping software Ozi Explorer alot of the Maggelens wont work. Ive got the Garmin 76map, easy to use.

CanAm500
02-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Garmin is pretty good. We have a garmin street pilot GPS. Bought it in the states real cheap.

dirtyharry
03-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Garmins are great I have an old Etrex that I have used across canada and in bosnia and afgahnistan. Much better than the issued plugger. However the one feature mine doesn't have which I wish I did is a button to scroll around the screen. With the basic model your current position is always the centre of the plot. You can only zoom in or out. That can be a pain in the ass if you are trying figure out where to go.
I don't miss the mapping software though cause I prefer a paper map. That way I Still have a backup with my compass if gps fails. Also I might be behind the times but canadian digital maps are lacking in quality for most of the country. Not that our fed toppo are much better but some.

Rob

Ronforca
03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
I have topo maps B.C. in my Garmin Etrex Vista and find it pretty good.

jakerazer
03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
GPS is awsome but I recommend getting a good book on GPS before you purchase. Mountain Equipment co-op has a good one at a good price.
I have a brand new Magelan GPS and I love it. But GPS has it's limitations
for example in canyons you can get a reaction called reflection where the the satellite signals reflect off the rock faces and the gps receives it's signals off time. This can cause huge discrepancies in your position indication.
Allway's have a compass for backup and if possible a topo map.