PDA

View Full Version : sight mounts

westhoyt
01-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi there, why do sights have more than 1 mounting position ? Mine has 3 different positions to mount it to bow. Thanks

Bowzone_Mikey
01-23-2010, 09:45 AM
personal preferance ... some like their sights far out .. some like them up close ....

depending upon what sized peep you use to center the sight housing in the peep instead of floating in the peep

Bow Walker
01-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Most guys that I know mount their sights so that the sight housing is just visible thru the peep, when at full-draw. This is another 'anchoring' mechanism for accurracy.

The idea is that the you can see the glo-ring on the sight housing (useful in low light situations) and then you move the whole site onto the target - select your pin - move the sight (as a whole) so that the pin is on the "spot" and Voila! 10X, or a dead animal....

westhoyt
01-23-2010, 08:52 PM
ok thanks.something else to observe.

westhoyt
02-01-2010, 06:19 AM
So, I have my sight in the farthest out position and I can not see the sight ring at full draw, should I have a bigger peep? I think my peep has a 1/8 size hole. I thought it would be more accurate than a 1/4 inch whole. Thanks

Bow Walker
02-01-2010, 10:08 AM
There are a number of shooters that don't have their sight mounted further out so that they can see the Glo-ring.

Personally, I use the visibility of the glo-ring as another anchoring aid. If I can't see a nice, even, complete ring I know that I'm not holding the bow correctly for my style of shooting - and thus my P.O.I. changes for the worse.

A larger peep aperture will likely allow you to see the complete sight housing and/or the glo-ring. IMHO, I think that this is important to do.

westhoyt
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
So moving the sight in will help me see the glow ring, I thought it was the other way around?

Bow Walker
02-01-2010, 04:02 PM
No, sorry for any mis-understanding. To see the complete sight housing and/or the glo-ring you have to move the sight out - or get a larger peep aperture.

I know a few shooters who don't bother with trying to see the complete sight housing and/or glo-ring. Don't understand why they do it this way but, hey, each to his/her own.

westhoyt
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks Bowalker for all the help, I am thinking I need a bigger peep., I have a Spot Hogg SDP Large guard sight, dont really need the extra pins but it was a great deal. Thanks again

Bow Walker
02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, the "large" sight guard/housing almost requires a "drive-thru" peep.

I've got a "Real Deal" with the large guard so I've also gone through the peep changing thing. Too bad they don't come with longer mounts on the large guard models.