PDA

View Full Version : FOB flecthing only better!

MikeH
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Has anybody tried these was wonder if they're any good?

Bowzone_Mikey
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
some swear they are the best thing since sliced bread ... but those are the people that are on FOBs prostaff ..... personally I dont like em

Bow Walker
01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
They are supposed to be really good - especially in the wind. Since they won't pass through my APA Safari Twister rest I haven't tried them, and I'm not about to.

Cedarstrip
01-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Better.... worse..... the same.......

they just don't look 'archery' if you know what I mean.

If I want to go high-tech, I'll take my .308 instead of my Hoyt.

MikeH
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I No what you mean use a whisker biscuit not about to change just curious.One of the things I like about archery is the arrows as weird as it sounds the whole shaft, fletch and knock.Love getting new colours of vanes.Change them up every refletch or new arrows.I think the FOB's would take that away from me.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-21-2010, 12:19 AM
You NEED a fall away rest ... strike 1
each arrow type is a differant outter diameter ...strike 2 (they are not a universal fit they make several differant sizes) an ACC 3-60 is not the same as a FMJ out dia ...
Has potential to fall off arrow in mid flight as they "designed" to come off at pass thru to mark the impact spot ...Ball 1
They whistle in my exp. ...ball 2
The break easy in my expirance .... reminds me of Nick Snooks Turbo Nocks (they whistled too by the way)...ball 3
(full count)
the airfoil design is a not bad idea for target shooters in calm conditions like indoor ...if in a cross wind you flight is messed and they are heavy so it messes up ones FOC ...strike 3 (goes down swinging)

if you like an arrow that they are designed for and you shoot in calm and predictible conditions ... they will group like a MOFO if you compensate with a heavier point and a stiffer shaft arrow.

I personally would like to see a "Staffer' shoot these at 90 meters to see how they group as i personally havent shot them past 30 (because they kept falling off my Lightspeeds) and thusly grouping like Crap

Bowzone_Mikey
01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
If I want to go high-tech, I'll take my .308 instead of my Hoyt.

now thats funny ... I will bet your Hoyt has more technogy gone into its engineering than your .308

gibblewabble
01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
I think my whisker biscuit is a better product for hunting than FOB especially for improving my grouping, and fletchings in the bush strike me as more forgiving as they can slip past branches because of their flexibility (I think). Anyways I like sitting at the kitchen table tuning my arrows, gives me something to do at night.

Jagermeister
01-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I think my whisker biscuit is a better product for hunting than FOB especially for improving my grouping, and fletchings in the bush strike me as more forgiving as they can slip past branches because of their flexibility (I think). Anyways I like sitting at the kitchen table tuning my arrows, gives me something to do at night.How do you find time to tune your arrows when you're always on here?:confused:
Regardless, I never liked the whisker biscuit, thought they were a piece of crap, still do. I did peruse the FOB web site and I think that there is more merit to the FOB than the whisker biscuit. Each to his own.

Kirby
01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Never tried them too many friends who tried them just kept offering to give me theirs, when 7 different guys I know all gave up on them after a couple of weeks I tend to have no desire to test them.

Kirby

Slugman
01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I have actually used them for one season now and find them far more accurate than fletching - and no I am not a staff shooter! There is some solid science behind this product and the customer service is second to none! It took alittle figuring out to get them dialed in, so of all the people to guide me through(some obvious things I missed) the prez of the company helped me out! Honestly the only down side to FOB's is you could easily go through a tube of these suckers because you will be stacking them on top of each other, being ridgid plastic the break! As far as the switch to a fall away rest( Vaportrail Limbdriver - the best!) , you'll find this to be an upgrade because the arrow is in contact with the bow for less time and as such is not affected by slight induced hand torque near as much say as a Whisker Biscuit. The pluses are too many not to aleast try them - they stabilize your arrow far faster, side profile is less effected by cross wind due to the smaller profile, less time consuming to put on your arrows and they're bloody accurate! If you like tweaking your rig to wring every last bit of accuracy out of it Fob's will help you do it - broadhead or field points!

Slugman
01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey Kirby, put me on the FOB hook up with your friends - I'll gladly take those FOB'S:mrgreen:

Kirby
01-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey Kirby, put me on the FOB hook up with your friends - I'll gladly take those FOB'S:mrgreen:

Just go to the city dump, seems like thats where most of them end up

Slugman
01-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Crap! What a waste!:(

peterrum3
01-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the report Slugman, I haven't had a chance to use the FOB but was sure wondering if they worked. Saw alot of the product video on line and you are echoing what was shown. Not sure that I would switch right now but if I have to refletch again, I might give them a try. The product video talks about less drift in a wind, can you comment on that and did you have a chance to use them hunting.

Cedarstrip
01-22-2010, 08:23 PM
now thats funny ... I will bet your Hoyt has more technogy gone into its engineering than your .308

Now that you mention it... you're probably right. I guess what I meant was that if I wanted to go 'meat-gathering' rather than hunting...:redface:

Bowzone_Mikey
01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
WOW ....Holy Koolaide drinking

Sure glad that they and a Limbdriver work for you ...

Bow Walker
01-23-2010, 10:48 AM
FOB's were designed for Fall-Away rests - since any other would knock the things off the shaft as it leaves the bow...and yes, they are better in a cross wind due to the aforementioned slim design.

I think they definitely have a place in archery equipment and that they do a good job. They're just not for everybody.

There's still something "soul satisfying" about fletching your own arrows, rather than slipping on a round plastic thingy. I feel the same way about that "shrink-wrap" type of fletching. It's just not for me.

Slugman
01-23-2010, 05:26 PM
FOB's were designed for Fall-Away rests - since any other would knock the things off the shaft as it leaves the bow...and yes, they are better in a cross wind due to the aforementioned slim design.

I think they definitely have a place in archery equipment and that they do a good job. They're just not for everybody.

There's still something "soul satisfying" about fletching your own arrows, rather than slipping on a round plastic thingy. I feel the same way about that "shrink-wrap" type of fletching. It's just not for me.
I agree with you, I still fletch up a few. Even using FOB's requires the detailed eye to fine tune the arrow, then agian I'm the kind of guy that cuts both ends of the arrow to get a straighter shaft by a few thou' of an inch, checks and double checks for square, tie in knock sets to save grams on the string compared to a brass knock to gain alittle fps! My wife thinks I have OCD! She may be right when it comes to shootin bow! To each his own tho - right?

Slugman
01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the report Slugman, I haven't had a chance to use the FOB but was sure wondering if they worked. Saw alot of the product video on line and you are echoing what was shown. Not sure that I would switch right now but if I have to refletch again, I might give them a try. The product video talks about less drift in a wind, can you comment on that and did you have a chance to use them hunting.
My hunting season was a bust so I can't offer any insight there, other than the fact that on pass - through the FOB pops off and leaves a handy referance to where you smoked your deer! I can say however that when it comes to wind drift these things are the cats ass! I have done a fair bit of shooting in cross breeze, say maybe 5-15k gusty and down range at 30 - 40 yards if your shooting is on the money they shoot lazer straight. Compared to 2" Blazers which I was shooting, in this situation there is a significant difference. They do weigh alittle more than vanes obviously 24.5 grns to 15grns so it helps to bump your FOC alittle but not much because the FOB actually creates some lift for the back of the arrow. So yes down range these really shine, wind no problem and even at shorter ranges because of the rigid plastic they stabilize the arrow far quicker not flappin about like a vane. Around $24 a tube if your already sportin a fall away you would be impressed!

gibblewabble
01-23-2010, 11:37 PM
How do you find time to tune your arrows when you're always on here?:confused:
Regardless, I never liked the whisker biscuit, thought they were a piece of crap, still do. I did peruse the FOB web site and I think that there is more merit to the FOB than the whisker biscuit. Each to his own.
I am a still hunter by nature, I have a very hard time sitting for long periods therefore I like the whisker biscuit as it lends itself to my style of hunting. If I just shot 3d I would give em a try but 3d for my is a fun way to get ready for the season, that and my wife likes 3d as well after 12 years of trying she finally got onboard 5 years ago.

Kirby
01-24-2010, 01:35 AM
They do weigh alittle more than vanes obviously 24.5 grns to 15grns so it helps to bump your FOC alittle but not much because the FOB actually creates some lift for the back of the arrow.

Sorry, but how do they cause lift??

Kirby

Slugman
01-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Sorry, but how do they cause lift??

Kirby
Beacuse the vanes are encircled, this outside ring or structure actually functions as a wing as it pass through the air. The offset of the inner vanes which induce your arrow spin(3-4 degree offset) slow air flow through the inside of the ring and the air that passes over the outside of the ring moves faster. This creates a degree of lift in the same way a plane wing does - yes Im a total geek, bow geek that is, I love this stuff!

Kirby
01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Beacuse the vanes are encircled, this outside ring or structure actually functions as a wing as it pass through the air. The offset of the inner vanes which induce your arrow spin(3-4 degree offset) slow air flow through the inside of the ring and the air that passes over the outside of the ring moves faster. This creates a degree of lift in the same way a plane wing does - yes Im a total geek, bow geek that is, I love this stuff!

Ya.... uh if its shaped like a wing, the lower half would also be causing "lift" in a downward motion. I really don't see that working. Basic physics says that it would be neutral.

Kirby

Bowzone_Mikey
01-24-2010, 04:03 PM

sorry pal ..your physics dont add up its shaped like wing .. but is in 360 degrees... thus causing lift in all directions ...therefore being nuetral ...I dont have a unit in my hand ..but if I am not mistaken but the winged(curved) egde in on the inside of the circle ..so if anything it tries to induce more spin by causing a low pressure higher speed air travel inside the "airfoil" ..kinda like how a turbine works ..... If I am mistaken ...and the curved surface is on the outside ... then it will do nothing but slow down your arrow ....

oh and by the way ... having weight on the back of ones arrow does not nessiarily help ones FOC .. or front of center balance ... Ideally sould be about 11-15% Front of center .... for ease of illustration for our audiance and calaculation you arrow is 100 Cms long ...center would be 50 cm mark ... 13% FOC on that arrow would be 37Cms from the front or 13 cm from center or 63 Cms from the back ...FOC balance point is 13% of the total arrow lenth in front of the center point ...
Having a good FOC will help one create and maintain momentum and solid hit ... if the balance point is far back when your arrow hits somthing solid it will flex like a wet noodle and have no penitration

Slugman
01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Perhaps I didn't explain it too well and I understand what you guys are saying, I thought that too at first but the design does create a DEGREE of lift. When it comes to FOC I couldn't agree with you more it is extremely important for good arrow flight, all I was saying was the increased weight off the back of the arrow does effect the arrows center and thus the FOC of the arrow. I run my arrows at around 13.8% but research I've read seems to point to HIGH foc of 18% or more! Proof is in the puddin tho and for me these things really work!

Kirby
01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
I thought that too at first but the design does create a DEGREE of lift.

HOW??

It makes no sense. If it causes lift in one way its gonna cause and equal about of "lift" on the opposite side. its not like a plane where you have a fixed wing surface... FOBS are spinning, as it spins every single point along the ring is going to cause the same action, all of these will cancel each other out, if you don't your gonna get bad arrow flight.

Proof is in the puddin tho and for me these things really work!

Glad they work for you, of the dozen or so guys i know who have tried them your the first to be happy, like you said proof is in the pudding. I remember in the mid 90's when guys were shooting drop away rests and everybody laughed at them... time tells the truth.

Kirby

Bow Walker
01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Perhaps I didn't explain it too well and I understand what you guys are saying, I thought that too at first but the design does create a DEGREE of lift. When it comes to FOC I couldn't agree with you more it is extremely important for good arrow flight, all I was saying was the increased weight off the back of the arrow does effect the arrows center and thus the FOC of the arrow. I run my arrows at around 13.8% but research I've read seems to point to HIGH foc of 18% or more! Proof is in the puddin tho and for me these things really work!
Actually the research that I have studied points to a lower FOC (12% or less) for Aluminiums and a higher FOC for Carbon shafts (13% or higher - to a max of 18%).

Then again, it really depends on what your particular setup "likes"...sort of like a rifle liking one particular "brand" of bullet and/or load than another.

But. like yourself - I'm a gear junky/nerd. I love learning about the equipment and what makes it function better/more efficiently.

Slugman
01-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Actually the research that I have studied points to a lower FOC (12% or less) for Aluminiums and a higher FOC for Carbon shafts (13% or higher - to a max of 18%).

Then again, it really depends on what your particular setup "likes"...sort of like a rifle liking one particular "brand" of bullet and/or load than another.

But. like yourself - I'm a gear junky/nerd. I love learning about the equipment and what makes it function better/more efficiently.
Yes there are sure alot of variables that come into play thats for sure - I think the study I read about FOC on-line somewhere the guys name was Ashby? I think any guy that shoots bow is a natural born tweaker looking for that perfect arrow and perfect set-up! When it comes to the FOB and the lift it creates, it doesn't need to be wing shaped to create lift just different rates of air flow. On the website it may of been refereing to a different principle at play maybe vacuum? If you truly are curious and not just a naysayer if you punch in 'starrflight' you'll get the proper explanation behind the design.

Slugman
01-25-2010, 07:59 AM
sorry pal ..your physics dont add up its shaped like wing
.. but is in 360 degrees... thus causing lift in all directions ...therefore being nuetral ...I dont have a unit in my hand ..but if I am not mistaken but the winged(curved) egde in on the inside of the circle ..so if anything it tries to induce more spin by causing a low pressure higher speed air travel inside the "airfoil" ..kinda like how a turbine works ..... If I am mistaken ...and the curved surface is on the outside ... then it will do nothing but slow down your arrow ....

oh and by the way ... having weight on the back of ones arrow does not nessiarily help ones FOC .. or front of center balance ... Ideally sould be about 11-15% Front of center .... for ease of illustration for our audiance and calaculation you arrow is 100 Cms long ...center would be 50 cm mark ... 13% FOC on that arrow would be 37Cms from the front or 13 cm from center or 63 Cms from the back ...FOC balance point is 13% of the total arrow lenth in front of the center point ...
Having a good FOC will help one create and maintain momentum and solid hit ... if the balance point is far back when your arrow hits somthing solid it will flex like a wet noodle and have no penitration
Dude perhaps you should have been hanging with the guys in lab coats when they were testing this in a wind tunnel to offer your expert opinion - I think the guy who designed these made sure he could back up the science behind how it actually works! Oh and thanks for breaking down FOC for the rest of us dummies!:mrgreen:

timbermilton
01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
so.... anybody that tried them and dont like'm, have a few they want to get rid of? i'd like to give them a try and form my own opinion. i've read as much "good" reviews as i have "bad" on these things. so my only conclusion is to try them out for myself. so, anyone want to pass a few my way?

Red arch
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Ok lets cover the rest topic again. After watching the Outdoor World Championships 2009 in ulsan, I have noticed that the compound shooters all use Snakes Tounge rests. This is because they are very accurate and virtually indistructable. They also use regular flecthing. Now the FOBs need a drop away, wich can fail faster, and due to the space makes them less accurate, with or without these so called flecthing. Just a youths two bits.

Bow Walker
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Ok lets cover the rest topic again. After watching the Outdoor World Championships 2009 in ulsan, I have noticed that the compound shooters all use Snakes Tounge rests. This is because they are very accurate and virtually indistructable. They also use regular flecthing. Now the FOBs need a drop away, wich can fail faster, and due to the space makes them less accurate, with or without these so called flecthing. Just a youths two bits.
You'll find that World Class target shooters do use a rest like that. It's refered to as a "Lizard Toungue" rest. It's designed to contact the arrow shaft as little as possible while imparting as much stability to the arrow as possible.

Archers using this style of rest have to use fletching due to the design of the arrow rest. There needs to be an allowance for the shaft/feltching to be able to slide-on-by the tips of the Lizard Tongue rest.

Dropaway rests do not fail faster than any other type of arrow rest - all things being equal, in that the rests are set up properly. They are just designed differently to accomplish a different task. Both types of rest work very well.

How are dropaway rests less accurate in your opinion? I'm curious as to your reasoning behind that statement.

jessbennett
06-23-2010, 01:08 PM

can you explain for me how a drop aways space would cause it to be less acurate?the way a drop away is designed is to decrease or eliminate arrow or fletching contact. And if set properly can be deadly acurate. Ihave shot both drop away and lizard toungue for target and any difference in accuracy is minimal at best. if you maintain your equipment the chances of failure are greatly decreased. All equipment has the potential to fail if not taken care of.
for the record, a lizard toungue can wear out over time so it is definately not indestructible.

mikek blacktail
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
shoot really well for practice and 3d but i wont hunt with them.