PDA

View Full Version : new hunter in Abby...

kishman
02-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Well I just ordered my first shotgun (Mossberg mod.835 turkey/waterfowl combo.) nothing fancy pretty much all I could afford. Anyway I'm new to the Fraser Valley area and would like to try some goose hunting before the turkey season opens this spring, problem is I've never hunted goose in valley before and don't know exactly where to go...I'm not asking for a map to anyones' favorite blind, just a nudge in the general area. I guess I should mention that I don't have a boat to speak of (although I do own a pontoon style kickboat for flyfishing that I could use to retrieve birds where there is no current(?) ) Again I'm a total rookie hunter:oops: and any advice would be totally helpfull, thanks in advance.

Corey,

lapadat
02-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Corey,

The last 1/4 of the four part season is probably the most challenging part of the season, especially for someone without local knowledge. With that said, you can still be successful now, you'll just have to work a little harder. From my experiences the birds in this area have been here all year long (with the exception of some northern birds) and have a pretty good handle on which environments are hostile and which offer protection. Most birds will already be paired up and often begin to seperate themselves from the larger flocks. In my opinion the birds right now are most vulnerable on the Fraser River. They have found the corn and grass fields that have not resulted in their death and will continue to use these "safe" fields. So, you might try the fraser river, and since you do not have a boat, you could try the sandy edges of a back eddy. My other thought is to find a body of water that the birds are resting on.

I did see about 100 birds yesterday in the sumas prairie but they were in a no-shoot area. If I find a decent spot before Mar 10 i'll pm you and we can give it a try.

lapadat

PS: You will enjoy your 835.