PDA

View Full Version : differant specie decoys

JoshCampbell
01-19-2010, 01:44 PM
i was just wondering how many other species people use in their decoy spread, as i am new to decoys and just got 12 mallard and 12 greenwing teal decoys for xmas with a lucky duck wind spinner, just wondering if i should get some more specoes to add to it or is that fine?

Bow Walker
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Good thing to do is to go down to your hunting spot and glass the flocks that are sitting in the water/fields. Take note of the different species that "hang together" and buy accordingly.

I do know that Widgeon are very good friends with Mallards...

lp270win
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I use 24 mallard decoys with 6 widgeon in with them (usually 2 different groups). Then ive got 6 green wing teal decoys that I usually put by themselves closer into the shore. It wouldnt hurt to have some widgeon in ur spread with your mallards. As far as spinners go, some days are better than others. I find on a real nasty day they work really well. On nicer days I find ducks flare off them. So many hunters use them now and ducks get educated to them especially later on in the season.

heyblast
01-20-2010, 05:00 AM
I've got 6 different spiecies that I put out. The start of the season I put out about 16 or so Mallards Pintails and some old decoys I've painted brown. As the seasons progresses I add more including divers, Canvasback and Bluebills. I place them in small groups usally, depending on how the ducks are sitting. As for mechanical spinners sometimes they help and somtimes not. If I knew before what I know now I probably wouldn't waste the money. Surprisingly the Canvasbacks attract a lot of Drake Mallards why I don't know, maybe because the white on the drakes is more visible.

JoshCampbell
01-20-2010, 10:52 AM
thanx for the info, i have a long wait for duck season to add to my decoys, and looking forward to giving all these decoy strategies a go

32-40win
10-22-2010, 08:41 AM
some people will add confidence decoys such as Herons , coots. One note on Mojo type spinners, shut them down if you have geese coming, they will flare them.

heyblast
10-22-2010, 04:11 PM
X 2 on geese flairing from the spinner decoy.

JoshCampbell
10-30-2010, 11:50 AM
the first time we used spinner duck befor i bought mine we had more geese then ducks come in.

lorneparker1
10-30-2010, 02:22 PM
well from my experience that was pure luck! Honkers HATE spinners.

32-40win
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Last week we set up on a field in the fog with 48 ghg duck shells and 36 GHG oversize goose decoys and two Mojos. Every time we heard the geese coming and shut down the Mojos, they came in and took a look, if they came in quiet, and saw the Mojos running, they flared. Three of us limited out in 1-1/2 hrs in one of those situations that duck hunting dreams are made of. Shooting single shots, taking turns and picking drakes only. The fog made all the difference. No geese that day.
Shot snows & specks the day before, limited on snows and 3 shy on specks in 3-1/2hrs in the same conditions.:wink:

Schutzen
11-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Personally I use between 8 and 16 Mallard deke's (magnum size floaters).
I also put tween 4 to 12 Canada dekes out no matter if I'm out for ducks or geese. My honkers are mixed floaters and field.
A heron or seagull deke right on or beside your blind for confidence helps.
I have shot all kinds of waterfowl over that combo.
More important is having the correct calls and setup.
I carry a mallard, wigeon, and Honker. Course being good with them helps to. I bought a calling tape years ago and practiced.
When u set out your dekes put one out at 35 yds from shore thats your range deke. Put your blind about 10yds from shore. That gives you a distance of 45 yds. If the birds are inside of that range deke your good to go . If not let em go and try again.
The rest of the dekes put in a two half moon shape with the opening in the centre for the birds to think they can land in. I go about 10-15 yds for landing zone closest deke about 10yds out from shore. Watch your wind, if your birds are coming in right over your blind you won't do to well! Preferable to have them coming x-wind direction with the blind on the downwind side. If the wind is coming dead on a lot of birds will land outside the dekes sumtimes and that can be frustraing. Unless they swim right in and then you can jump em.
Well hope this info helps.
Best of luck.
S

JoshCampbell
11-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the helpful info Schutzen, i shall give that a try when i get a chance

Steelpulse
11-16-2010, 10:37 PM
You definitely need to be careful, sometimes I find when hunting divers that putting a dozen Goldeneyes with a few Bluebills will deter Buffleheads most of the time. When the bluebills aren't there buffies land most of the time. Pairing different decoys will sometimes push ducks away but again will sometimes be the right things to bring all in to the spread.