PDA

View Full Version : peep sight

LYKTOHUNT
01-18-2010, 12:01 PM
What type of peep sight do you suggest for 52 year old eyes,I have noticed that the one I am using is looking a little fuzzy, is it just a matter of a larger apperature or what? I s there different options to the string sight?

Ambush
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
G5 Meta-peep for my 56 year old eyes. 1/4" to match the sight ring on the SDP Spot-Hogg sight. But I'm hunter first, target second.

LYKTOHUNT
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks Ambush I googled that sight for reviews and found it was well liked as you suggested. I have the tube attached sight now,is it easy or hard to install the G5 do I need a new string set up.It would be nice not to have the tube as I am also having trouble getting the sight to line up.
Again Thanks

Ambush
01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
The sight is easy to install, using the instructions that come with it. The only problem with no-tube peeps is that the string has to be turned to get the sight to line up properly. Once that's done, it shouldn't move anymore. The result is worth it, IMO. But you need a press.

One simple, inexpensive tool that compound shooters should have is the Bowmaster portable press. A small, affective and reasonably priced [about $55] device that allows you to do so many more bow tasks at home.

I have the Bowmaster and a homemade ratchet press. Both work well.

Any bow shop will install the peep for you, but I find self-reliance teaches you more about your equipment and why things work as they do.
Nothing worse than having to wait days to make a simple adustment when it can done in minutes.

If you want to install the peep yourself, just push a pencil in on either side of your existing peep, then remove it and place the G5 in.
To adjust the peep, I close my eyes, draw and anchor, them open my eyes and have some one slided the peep up or down. Or let down, move the peep and repeat the sequence.
If your interested I can e-mail you some pics.

hardnocks
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Bigger is not allways better. you have to trick your eyes to focas sometimes its better with a smaller hole. The peep you have do`s it have an insert with different size holes. try different size holes

LYKTOHUNT
01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Bigger is not allways better. you have to trick your eyes to focas sometimes its better with a smaller hole. The peep you have do`s it have an insert with different size holes. try different size holes
No inserts just one hole

hardnocks
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
thats to bad. i have 55 year old eyes..a want smaller sight houseings so i can use a smaller peep.

Bow Walker
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Having tired eyes myself and being primarily a hunter, I like to have a larger sized peep to let in as much light as possible. I also want my sight housing extended far enough so that it is just inside of the peep aperture. This, to me is perfect - easy target acquisition, and pin placement.

xtremearchery
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Having tired eyes myself and being primarily a hunter, I like to have a larger sized peep to let in as much light as possible. I also want my sight housing extended far enough so that it is just inside of the peep aperture. This, to me is perfect - easy target acquisition, and pin placement.

I agree 100%.

MikeH
01-22-2010, 05:01 PM
I use a 1/4" also nice big site picture.

timbermilton
01-22-2010, 08:30 PM
i got rid of my peep and am useing a hind sight. works so much better, helps to align faster and shows any bow torque. lets in alot more light and they glow once it gets down to the last bit of light so you can stay out that extra few minutes and not worry about not seeing your peep. http://www.hindsightco.com/ give them a look see.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Specialty Archery "Super Ball" peeps
http://www.specialtyarch.com/peeps.asp

one peep housing .. svereral options on aperature .. clarifiers etc ...

I wont used anything else

Bow Walker
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Personally I use two types/makes of peeps, one on my hunting bow, and the other on my target bow.

I use Specialty Archery peeps on my target bow - with the clarifier. The clarifier(s) really help to make the pin(s) crystal clear when you're sighting-in on that big ole foam bear at 42 yards. :wink:

Since my target sight is a Sure Loc with a scope (4X) and a single pin, I've found that pin was not clear, and the target wasn't clear either (tired old eyes as mentioned earlier) - but with the addition of the clarifier to the peep, I now have a super clear pin to sight with. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sHa_thumb2.gif

The target is cleared up by means of the 4X scope and the pins are cleared up using the clarifier......now if there was only something to use to judge the correct yardage! :confused:

My hunting bow has a Tru-peep by Jim Fletcher Archery - in the largest size for those same tired old eyes. it works like the proverbial "hot damn".