PDA

View Full Version : New Archer's Tuning Guide

Bow Walker
01-16-2010, 05:31 PM
There seems to be quite a few people who are "new" to archery. Would it be of any advantage to those people to have a "Tuning Guide" posted here??

Swamp mule
01-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Yes it would bowwalker, as I would like to know more about the bow and how to tune it as I am hoping to go bow hunting this year

Jagermeister
01-16-2010, 10:40 PM
What are we talking here, bow tuning or arrow tuning?

Bow Walker
01-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Just some fairly basic things to do to set up and/or fine tune a new bow - or a bow that is new to an archer, whether the archer is new or not.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of guys that can do some of the more simpler things to their equipment. Or am I not really of this world?

MikeH
01-17-2010, 12:32 AM
I find the Easton Arrow and Tuning Maintenance Guide helped me and was a good refresher.Tuning guide would be beneficial.

peterrum3
01-17-2010, 12:43 AM
I am having trouble tuning my bow right now since it was in storage for 5 years, or maybe its just my old eyes. Whatever you could provide would be welcome.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-17-2010, 09:32 AM
wait untill I get home .. I know of several You tube type vids that would help the newbie and seasoned guy alike

Bow Walker
01-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I am having trouble tuning my bow right now since it was in storage for 5 years, or maybe its just my old eyes. Whatever you could provide would be welcome.

If your bow was stored for a long period of time and now you are having trouble tuning it up - I'd look hard at the wheel/cam/limb alignment. Might be just a little bit twisted or warped.

I'm putting together a "Basic Bow Tuning Guide" and I thought that I'd test the waters for interest. It's just a few things that I've done, read, and learned over the years.

It'll be finished in a day or two and I'll post it up for jabs, jeers, and comments. :wink: :mrgreen:

thunderheart
01-17-2010, 11:33 AM
looking forward to it

Bow Walker
01-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Well, the thing turned out to be more than 10 pages long, also has a bunch of pics in it. :eek:

Way too long to post. :confused:

So if anyone wants it just give me an email and I'll send it to you for the usual charge.:wink:

MikeH
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Maybe you can post a page a week make it a weekly update?:-D

Bowzone_Mikey
01-19-2010, 08:19 AM
here is a timing and tuning clip by the Master ... GRIV I think this one is creep tuning
I spent a weekend with this guy last year teaching me about shooting and tuning ..... was a weekend well spent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ6BD__Ao2I

any other requests .. lemme know and I'll post em up from home ...

You tube dont work at work

but many others are on the side bar

Bowzone_Mikey
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
this guy knows whats he is doing ... the GRIV vids ... with all due respect are probally not for most of this crowd .

http://www.youtube.com/user/grttaxi

many differant instructional vids ...

some vids that are worthless there ... you hafta look for all the instructional ones

great resource for the average guy tho

Bow Walker
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
If anyone wants a copy of my amateur-ish efforts let me know via e-mail. But first check the "File Size" that you are setup to receive. Some people are having trouble cause their allowable file size is set too small.

You can re-set it upwards.

Bow Walker
01-19-2010, 06:47 PM
George Ryals IV (the fourth).........aka GRIV. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sHa_thumbsup3.gif

His stuff is really good. If you have no problem assimilating info (some of it technical) I highly recommend downloading any of his stuff.

Bow Walker
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Maybe you can post a page a week make it a weekly update?:-D
If it can't be easily emailed to those that would like it, that may be a good idea....

Here's an exerpt;

Peep sight alignment is one of the easiest things to tune or adjust on your bow and like all tuning aspects; it can have a major affect on accuracy. Install your peep to the proper height using a string separator or a bow press to insert the peep into the string. Don’t tie it in just yet. Next, nock an arrow on the string and while pointing your bow in a safe direction, draw the bow and come to comfortable anchor with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes, your “aiming eye” should be looking right through the peep sight. If not, let down and move the peep upward or downward so that you can see right through it without moving your head when you are at full draw and anchored. Now is the time to tie-in the peep to keep it from moving.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
George Ryals IV (the fourth).........aka GRIV. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sHa_thumbsup3.gif

His stuff is really good. If you have no problem assimilating info (some of it technical) I highly recommend downloading any of his stuff.

last spring ... it took me about 2 hours just to get around his accent ..... He is from Georgia ... and you know it ... LOL
best 300 bucks I ever spent on archery for the weekend seminar

MikeH
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
yup he has great vids have watched them all a while back.

garyt
01-24-2010, 06:50 PM
i m thinking of buying a newer bow and i can t remember how to measure my drae length i believe its 28in but not sure. thks gary

Bow Walker
01-24-2010, 10:43 PM
garyt - Give it a quick Google and you'll be surprised how many ways there are to do the measuring.:)

In the mean time....:wink: :)

HOW TO MEASURE YOUR DRAW LENGTH

Draw length can be determined by a measurement known as wingspan. Figure your wingspan, then look in the chart below to find your draw length.
Measuring WINGSPAN:
1.) Lean with your back against a wall, standing as close to the wall as possible with your back flat.
2.) Extend your arms and fingers out as far as possible (you should be in the form of a “T”) with your arms against the wall in a horizontal position.
3.) Have someone make a pencil mark at the end of your middle fingertips on both hands.
4.) Measure this distance - this is your wingspan
5.) Find this number in the chart below to find your draw length. (Example: a wingspan of 73" would be a draw length of 29".)

WINGSPAN (INCHES) DRAW LENGTH (INCHES)

63…………………………………………………...24
64 …………………………………………………..24 1/2
65 …………………………………………………..25
66 …………………………………………………..25 1/2
67..………………………………………………….26
68…..……………………………………………….26 1/2
69..………………………………………………….27
70…………………………………………………….27 1/2
71…………………………………………………….28
72…………………………………………………….28 1/2
73…………………………………………………….29
74…………………………………………………….29 1/2
75…………………………………………………….30
76…………………………………………………….30 1/2
77…………………………………………………….31
78…………………………………………………….31 1/2

timbermilton
01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
easy way is to do like you listed above and devide your wingspan by 2.5 and you get your DL.

Bow Walker
01-25-2010, 11:44 AM
This will get you into the ball park, but you will need to be "fine-tuned" so that you're spot-on and shooting comfortably.

Bow Walker
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
There seems to be quite a few people who are "new" to archery. Would it be of any advantage to those people to have a "Tuning Guide" posted here??
This thing turned out to be 7.5 MB's in size - way too much for posting here.

If anyone wants a copy emailed to them, please check your email program to see that you're set to receive large files. It contains a bunch of photos too.

garyt
01-27-2010, 03:05 PM
great work thks bow walker