PDA

View Full Version : 2 Way radios

CanAm500
02-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Anyone ever use 2 way radios out hunting?

I have a pair of Motorola T5500's that I want to take out so we can scout some land faster/more land.

Dragginbait
02-15-2006, 09:36 PM
We use them quite often, especially when your buddy is trying to push something your way through a stand of trees. Mine has ear buds and a speaker on the wire so you can actually whisper into them and they are clear as a bell.

02-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Always in the truck during hunting season, they are a great tool to have.

Gus
02-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Me and the old man use radios all the time, but only as check in tools. We'll say a time and turn our radios on then and let the other know status or events up till that piont and to make further plans. We also turn them on when we hear a shot to confirm it was one another or sombody else.

rock
02-15-2006, 10:57 PM
I usaully pack them along, over the years they have got us a few deer

cowboy-up69
02-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes, they go with me al the time, they are sure usful when pushin or when you and a buddy are apart from each other!

Ronforca
02-16-2006, 08:20 AM
We use them also.As said they come in handy when one of your party shoots somethng to keep in touch.They are also great around noon or the end of the day to call in for a ride back to camp with a Quad which we always have one in camp for transporting people or game.

BlacktailStalker
02-16-2006, 12:25 PM
I always bring a pair as well. They also are perfect for river fishing, we tape a lot of our fishing/hunting trips so if one guy gets a nice chrome steelie the other guy can zip up to the hole and tape it and take some pics.
Good pics at home are equally as good as the moment you catch or shoot something for me. Especially with fish, no need to bonk it if it's mounted on your wall on glossy paper :smile:

CanAm500
02-16-2006, 02:34 PM
What kind of radios do you use, just the motorola Talkabout series like mine or what?

Steeleco
02-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I've got a pair of the early Cobra GMRS, bought state side before they were legal in Canada. They have been great, get you ass in a pnich, call for help!!
The range isn't near what they advertise but it recahes further than the two of us hunt apart!! The new GMRS are much better and stronger and CHEAPER :mad:

Marc
02-16-2006, 04:14 PM
They work pretty good if you get yourself turned around and ask your partner for directions from landmarks....well unless your partner is sleeping in your truck and thinks he's hearing things.:roll:

todbartell
02-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I was *napping* and in deep sleep

:oops:

CanAm500
02-16-2006, 06:24 PM
lol. :lol:
The ones I got have the some GMRS channels aswell. I am going to bring them along when my neighbour goes out scouting in early Auguest.

johnes50
02-16-2006, 06:27 PM
I believe they all have the same channels.

CanAm500
02-16-2006, 06:30 PM
I believe they all have the same channels.

Just looking through the owner manual; there are FRS (Family Radio Service), which dont have much range, and then there is the GMRS that have more range.

johnes50
02-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Sorry LCpaintballer. I meant that I think the channels on different brand radios can communicate to each other. If you have FMRS channels on your radio you can talk to a different brand radio with FMRS channels sometimes, if they don't have encryption or some other privacy software.

livingston
02-16-2006, 07:11 PM
My dad and I had two way radios moose hunting one year and they really came in handy.We got our moose but it was about 200 yards away down hill through christmas trees at a lake.We had lots of rope and dragged it out but were not in sight of each other so the radios allowed me to tell the the old man when to pull and when the moose was tangled in the trees.The rope only snapped(3/8 poly) twice, without we would have one big knot .:smile:

CanAm500
02-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Sorry LCpaintballer. I meant that I think the channels on different brand radios can communicate to each other. If you have FMRS channels on your radio you can talk to a different brand radio with FMRS channels sometimes, if they don't have encryption or some other privacy software.

Yeah thats true. Sorry didnt know what you ment.

BlacktailStalker
02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I have the Motorolla model SX700,which has the GMRS so it has a low watt output transmition power for close communication and a high one of 2 watts too. They work extremely well, I was surprised.

tomigunz
02-16-2006, 11:11 PM
I always always bring my radios. I recently bought four of the new 22km cobra radios, work great and the ringer can be set to vibrate. You cant go wrong with them.