PDA

View Full Version : Making Excalibur Strings?

mikeinajeep
01-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I just paid $30 for a crossbow string, I know that they are good strings but $30 seems alittle steep for some string wrapped with tread. Does anyone make there own? What do you use to make then? I have some Kevlar paracord that looks close to the right size, would that work?

Bowzone_Mikey
01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I just paid $30 for a crossbow string, I know that they are good strings but $30 seems alittle steep for some string wrapped with tread. Does anyone make there own? What do you use to make then? I have some Kevlar paracord that looks close to the right size, would that work?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4673133_make-bowstring.html
http://www.mac.asn.au/string_making.htm

fill your boots ...

there is a great science believe it or not in making bowstrings .... you could use your paracord ... but your bow would either blow up ... or bexcome extremly slow and youll be lucky to get a 20 yrd range out of it

hardnocks
01-09-2010, 05:58 PM
i make bow strings..... i just want to ask you one ?? ...how much do you make an hour.

mikeinajeep
01-09-2010, 11:27 PM
i make bow strings..... i just want to ask you one ?? ...how much do you make an hour.

Laid off in Feb and now make $9 an hour packing 50 lbs bags of concrete. But you miss my point, A) I would pay $30 or more for a string made by hand by a craftsmen but these are made by a robot in china is my guess. B) I would like to make my own to safe money because I have lots of time and little else. C) Could I make better ones than I could buy.

PS Thanks Bowzone!!

hardnocks
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Really for a recurve crossbow... strings sure would not be hard to make . for a investment of $100. bucks.. you could make ..just a guess maybe 30 strings for your xcaliber.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Laid off in Feb and now make $9 an hour packing 50 lbs bags of concrete. But you miss my point, A) I would pay $30 or more for a string made by hand by a craftsmen but these are made by a robot in china is my guess. B) I would like to make my own to safe money because I have lots of time and little else. C) Could I make better ones than I could buy.

PS Thanks Bowzone!!

No problem ....
they typically are not made on a robot in china ....

yes some are mass produced ... but the industry for bow strings isnt like that ... each differant model takes several differant sizes ... most are custom built

mikeinajeep
01-09-2010, 11:57 PM
UUUUMM? Ok, So those two site say I need 90 stands. Is that right 225 lbs X 4 divided by 10 = 90 of BCY 10. Ok this should be fun. Now where to buy suplies.

mikeinajeep
01-10-2010, 12:04 AM
30 strings or even 10 for a $100 and some hard work. I'm in. I have a new one to make a jig with and would like to at least try. I love shooting this thing and plan to do it as much as I can. I thank you guys for all your help.

hardnocks
01-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I don`t know what excaliber is using ...but i counted 32 strands ...i have be using BCY 450 plus. But on the BCY website you should be able to find out exactly what to use and how many strands. take your pic of US mail order supplies and go for it.

Bow Walker
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Being somewhat of a bow tech myself - notice I said somewhat - I'm really interested in making my own strings/cables.

I'm in the process of looking for plans for a home made jig that I can apply pressure or stretch to the string(s) - something around 500 - 600 lbs shoud do it.

I'd like to be able to build strings for my compounds and my long bow.

hardnocks
01-10-2010, 11:36 AM
bow walker there`s all good info on making strings and jig plans on AT. i only make strings for convenience because i restring lots of weird bows.

you can buy strings from worlds worst stings for 60 bucks so you will not save a lot of money.

but a spool of 8125 and spools of end and center serving and a couple winders . $150. tops and you will be in business

Bow Walker
01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the headsup about AT. I've been a member there for about 10 years now.

Up to now I've had all my strings built by a friend - Bill Sampson - and have been very happy overall. He does a good job.

I just want to "get into it" for my own satisfaction. I don't plan on selling any of my efforts.

BC4Bowhunter
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I have been building strings for quite awhile and I enjoy doing it. I have built strings for crossbows, recurves,longbows and compounds. I have found that each kind of bow uses and sometimes requires a certain type of material. For most recurve crossbows except excaliber I find B50 material will work well as for excaliber I will use either Dynaflite 97 or 8125. For recurves and longbows B50 usually is my choice however I have used dynaflite 97 and 8125 on some newer recurves. Compounds I will use either 8125 or 452x depending on the bow. If you are building a string for a single cam or a hybrid cam bow I would strongly recommend to use BCY 452x. The intial cost to start building your own strings can vary whether or not you make or buy your string jig and what materials you use. Key to a good string is quality materials and a good string jig and there are quite a few jigs out there both plans and finished products. BCY makes a starter kit with jig, end serving , 2 spools of string, ceterserving, serving jig and instructional DVD. I use primarily BCY product but Brownell makes good material too. As for the cost for a quality crossbow string 25-35 bucks I would think is fair.IMHO:wink:

hardnocks
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I have been building strings for quite awhile and I enjoy doing it. I have built strings for crossbows, recurves,longbows and compounds. I have found that each kind of bow uses and sometimes requires a certain type of material. For most recurve crossbows except excaliber I find B50 material will work well as for excaliber I will use either Dynaflite 97 or 8125. For recurves and longbows B50 usually is my choice however I have used dynaflite 97 and 8125 on some newer recurves. Compounds I will use either 8125 or 452x depending on the bow. If you are building a string for a single cam or a hybrid cam bow I would strongly recommend to use BCY 452x. The intial cost to start building your own strings can vary whether or not you make or buy your string jig and what materials you use. Key to a good string is quality materials and a good string jig and there are quite a few jigs out there both plans and finished products. BCY makes a starter kit with jig, end serving , 2 spools of string, ceterserving, serving jig and instructional DVD. I use primarily BCY product but Brownell makes good material too. As for the cost for a quality crossbow string 25-35 bucks I would think is fair.IMHO:wink:

liston to this ...andys strings are the best

Sideofabarn
01-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a great idea. One question though, wouldn't you be voiding the warranty if something bad happened? Not being snide, just curious...

mikeinajeep
01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I think you would be in warranty hell if you told them you made your own string, But I may fail to tell them that. Excalibur is super good about warranty work or so I have been told but home made parts may be pushing it abit. I know they get really unhappy about to light and home build arrows.

BC4Bowhunter
01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
If the strings are build properly with the correct material and specifications there is no reason for them to void your warranty. The only reason I could see why they would void the warranty is if the the string you made is the primary cause for the damage but that could depend on the bow manufacturer. I do believe that most bow manufacturers don't warranty strings anyways but I could be mistaken.

mikeinajeep
01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Check this out, No wonder they need super strong strings!!
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmntwlIhco4

Sideofabarn
01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
If the strings are build properly with the correct material and specifications there is no reason for them to void your warranty. The only reason I could see why they would void the warranty is if the the string you made is the primary cause for the damage but that could depend on the bow manufacturer. I do believe that most bow manufacturers don't warranty strings anyways but I could be mistaken.

Very true, I would suspect that no bow manufacturer warranties strings. My thought had more to do with damage to the limbs from a string that exploded. I could be way out to lunch on this though. Couldn't hurt to ask the folks at Excalibur, although doing that would of course arouse suspicion...

BC4Bowhunter
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Very true, I would suspect that no bow manufacturer warranties strings. My thought had more to do with damage to the limbs from a string that exploded. I could be way out to lunch on this though. Couldn't hurt to ask the folks at Excalibur, although doing that would of course arouse suspicion...
Usually strings give warning signs before they break and it can happen a string just breaks. On most bows I have seen that broke the string including Excaliber the limbs are undamaged. The original string can break too or get cut by a broadhead. Strings are a wearing item on a bow. Most manufacturers are good with limb warranty if you are honest and truthful with them.:wink:

mikeinajeep
01-12-2010, 04:52 AM
I checked the excalibur site really carefully and they don't say you can't use home made strings so I think you might be ok if it all goes sideways.

Bow Walker
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how some members on HBC are either very early risers or they stay up waaay too late.

Have a gander at the time that Mike posted his reply - 8 minutes to 4 inna da mornin!! Jeez.....

Grantmac
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I know I saw a factory Excalibur string that was Flemish twist. Thats a very simple way to make a great string, no jigs required and a lot less serving.

I've made strings both ways for my longbows and recurves. The twist takes some practice but it's really easy once you've got the basic technique.
The are supposed to be quieter too.

-Grant

mikeinajeep
01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I am trying to get a job in Iraq so that means early morning phone calls and then off to the swear word job that feeds my family. I would rather die there than do this swear word.

mikeinajeep
01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Talking about Excalibur crossbows, does anyone know if I can buy a lighter head unit? Why I ask is most the ranges around here would let you shoot faster than 350 fps and it would be way cheaper to buy a 150 lb head and limb or nicer still just limbs and put it/them on my stock. Will it fit? The stocks look the same but the devil is in the details. I can call excal if you guys don't know but you always seem to know these things.

mikeinajeep
01-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Like a Ibex or Vixen II head seems the same but the power stroke is shorter. I would like to shoot more 3D but a new crossbow seems like a bit much.

mikeinajeep
01-16-2010, 04:55 AM
I called Excalibur today about using a lighter head unit on the X-bow and they said, "we will get back to you on that". Heres hoping they will say yes.

Bow Walker
01-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Here's hoping they say "yes" and provide you with the unit that you want.

Are you planning on taking your crossbow with you to Iraq?

mikeinajeep
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
They won't let me!!! I had to pick three toys to take and she just missed the list. I went with a M4,a M107 and Moss 12.