PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl out west.

extreme01
01-05-2010, 02:18 AM
One of the things I have been doing out on the places I work on, is build a duck blind in case we book some hunters.

It has been interesting as to what I have been seeing in the way of waterfowl out there.

Today on the pond where I am building the blind, there was approximately 75 ducks, Mallards, Gadwalls, Green Wing Teal, Widgeon, and most notably several Pintail.

Two days ago, I glassed a neighboring pond, and there was a flock of Pintails numbering over 50 birds on it.

Also been seeing Ring Necks, Shovelers, one hen Hooded Merganser and one drake Red Head.

On one pond, I also saw some scaup, but am not sure if they were Lesser's or Greater's, but am sure they were not Ring Necks.

Also a couple of days ago I passed one wheat field with over 200 Sand hill cranes in it.

We may try building some decoys and see if we can get them to come in to the fields we have.

Tanya
01-05-2010, 07:02 AM
I guess you're on the central flyway there. We hunted in Manitoba this fall and saw tons and tons of sandhill cranes. We weren't hunting them, but were told they're great table fare.

Is the variety of ducks you saw there unusal? We get quite a range of species out here on the coast, a number of which winter over. Shovelers and Mergansers taste like crap, we don't pull the trigger on them. I guess if a person wanted a mount, the Mergansers in particular are kinda pretty.