PDA

View Full Version : Camo??

BowSitter
02-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Help! I want to buy some camo clothing (jacket and pants) and am not sure what pattern is best for the Vancouver Island area. Doe's anyone have a favorite. Realtree brown??

JohnS
02-11-2006, 10:58 AM
here is a awesome site for camo I just got one and they are wicked, talk about disapear into the woods! www.spobow.com

bigwhiteys
02-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Ronyn makes fairly nice waterproof fleece camo. I have a set of the realtree brown and it would work just fine anywhere on the island.

I think I paid $170 CAD for the complete set on eBay. I actually chatted with the owner over the phone about possibly marketing the camo online. He is a really nice guy and they have put a lot of work into the line.

It's worth checking out. www.ronyn.com (http://www.ronyn.com)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

BowSitter
02-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Bigwhiteys I'm looking at ronynwear also. Realtree brown looks like the one to go with.

bigwhiteys
02-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Bowsitter,

No problem. It really is great camo. I went with a bomber jacket but would have probably preferred the parka instead.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

brotherjack
02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I find that the old standby woodland camo works well in pretty much any outdoors situation. The stuff with trees and leaves and junk printed on it tends to (in my opinion) be kinda poor, because the fine detail and similar colours all bleed together in the eyes from more than 20 or 30 yards away and you look just like a person again.

JohnS
02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Not with Spobow ASAT Camo You disapear into the woods or what ever the country you are hunting.. www.spobow.com (http://www.spobow.com) check it out! you won't be disapointed ...... I wasn't :biggrin:

Dragginbait
02-11-2006, 06:58 PM
All I've got is the realtree camo that you get from Wal-mart. Last fall when we went to Texada Island, I was sitting beside a stump by a stand of trees when a doe came out of the tree line on the other side and was close enough for me to touch with the end of my rifle as it fed on some grass. So I think the key is staying motionless when you have to. The deer had a real hard look at me from close range but didn't know what she was looking at, the ony time she spooked at all was when I blinked. I had no head covering except for a camo ball cap. So if you can't afford the big $ sent blocker camo, give the cheaper stuff a try. Wal-mart almost gives the stuff away at the end of the season.

K-1
02-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Bowsitter,

No problem. It really is great camo. I went with a bomber jacket but would have probably preferred the parka instead.

Happy Hunting!
Carl I got one of their jacket in "advantage ", and am thinking of getting pants in the fall.

huntwriter
02-11-2006, 08:37 PM
PSE_Venom you found a good website. ASAT is the very best camouflage there is period.

I am not getting paid to endorse ASAT but you can buy the ASAT 3-D Suit, it's light and you can wear what ever clothing the weather demands under it. The suit is only about US$ 120.00 and is all you ever will need. I have my suit for over 10 years now, wear it and wash it almost every of the hunting season and still looks good as new.

Here I leave you with a link to the ASAT website: http://www.asatcamo.com/

Here you can read my independent camouflage research I did four years ago: http://www.asatcamo.com/Proper_Camouflage.htm

I use to wear Realtree and Mossy Oak (fashion camouflage). Then I found ASAT and Predator and I knew I have found the perfect pattern the moment I looked at it. ASAT and Predator works everywhere and anytime. I wouldn't wear another camouflage pattern if I would get paid for it.

Nails
02-12-2006, 11:09 PM
For me avantage timber work great for the west coast here on the island along with mossyoak break up. I have a bowhunter jacket made by Sportchief. Its the best jacket that I have own that fits and works well for bowhunting. I you can purchase them from Canadian Camo https://media5.magma.ca/www.canadiancamo.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_51_474&products_id=3404 it is great jacket check it out.

000buck
02-12-2006, 11:48 PM
depends how much you want to spend. I use the wal mart stuff,realtree advantage treated with sportwash and uv killer. Managed to crawl stalk a buck within 20 feet in the shotgun only area on the malahat. seems good enough to me and not to expensive to actually use.

tomigunz
02-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Gone fishin in nanaimo has some good camo clothing

Johnnybear
02-13-2006, 06:36 PM
I think that motion is the biggest giveaway too. Just think about all the game that fell to our forefathers before the invention of modern camo and long range rifles. They had to get in close with those muskets and lever guns. I use mossy oak new break up for all my stuff on the island. I buy the fleece stuff because it tends to be lighter in colour and not so defined (less blob). It works great in the thick timber and down in the creek beds. I think other patterns out there are better for open slashes and other mainland areas though. My 2 bits.

BowSitter
02-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your imput! I just ordered some Ronynwear even though the ASAT looks like the best. I wanted a jacket to wear as well so thats why I went with Ronyn. Thanks again....Ron

Bow Walker
02-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Just take your P J's into the bush. The deer will most likely fall over laughing at the cute little pics of Homer on yer shorts!!

johnes50
02-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Normally I just wear all black. I've never frightened any game animals that I've come across. They usually just stop and stare at me. They either think I'm a black bear or a burnt stump.This year I've picked up some Camo pants and a Really cool HBC camo hat. It's hard for me to blend in at 6'2" and 250lb., but we'll see what happens.

Hunter4life
02-26-2006, 02:56 PM
PSE_Venom you found a good website. ASAT is the very best camouflage there is period.

I am not getting paid to endorse ASAT but you can buy the ASAT 3-D Suit, it's light and you can wear what ever clothing the weather demands under it. The suit is only about US$ 120.00 and is all you ever will need. I have my suit for over 10 years now, wear it and wash it almost every of the hunting season and still looks good as new.

Here I leave you with a link to the ASAT website: http://www.asatcamo.com/

Here you can read my independent camouflage research I did four years ago: http://www.asatcamo.com/Proper_Camouflage.htm

I use to wear Realtree and Mossy Oak (fashion camouflage). Then I found ASAT and Predator and I knew I have found the perfect pattern the moment I looked at it. ASAT and Predator works everywhere and anytime. I wouldn't wear another camouflage pattern if I would get paid for it.

Are there any dealers in the lower mainland for asat camo? i would like to see what it looks like in person.

BowSitter
02-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I checked their website and the only dealers in Canada are in Alberta.

huntwriter
02-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Are there any dealers in the lower mainland for asat camo? i would like to see what it looks like in person.
If all goes well there will be a dealer in the very near future here in the Lower Mainland.;)

If you like I can send you some pictures of ASAT or you can visit the website www.asatcamo.com (http://www.asatcamo.com)

Tarp Man
02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Huntwriter, I am in the market for some camoflage, but the priority is raingear. I looked at the ASAT site, and it looks good, but how have you experienced its performance in wet weather? I usually end up hunting in wet weather, and need not just an afternoon's worth of water resistance. I am used to Gore tex performace as a standard.
Also, has anyone used a brand named Rivers West? I read a review in Field and Stream, who gave it their Editor's Gear Award. Feedback welcome
-Tarp Man

huntwriter
02-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Huntwriter, I am in the market for some camoflage, but the priority is raingear. I looked at the ASAT site, and it looks good, but how have you experienced its performance in wet weather? I usually end up hunting in wet weather, and need not just an afternoon's worth of water resistance. I am used to Gore tex performace as a standard.
Also, has anyone used a brand named Rivers West? I read a review in Field and Stream, who gave it their Editor's Gear Award. Feedback welcome
-Tarp Man
ASAT has a new 100% waterproof parka and bib, each about close to $300.00. I have not tested that product yet, thefore I can't say anything about the product.

Personally I just wear the ASAT 3-D suit which is designed to wear your normal clothing, what ever the weather demands, under it.

I hope that in the next couple of months I get their waterproof parka to field test and will be able to tell you more about. I test waterproof gear by standing under the shower with it for a full half hour, if the stuff can withstand that it will hold up to the worst weater nature can dish out.

It seems you are like me. I too go hunting in the rain it is the best weather because all other hunters stay in camp and the animals know that too. :)