PDA

View Full Version : fibre optics

westhoyt
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi there, do you guys think that .10 pins are too small , would they be more fragile, and would they light up enough . I found a sight with this size of fibre optics for a good price. Thanks

Bow Walker
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Really depends on your eye sight and the application that you intend for the sight...target?, hunting?

Personally, I find that .019 works for my tired old eyes for both applications. Although on targets 40 yards and beyond the pin often covers the tiny little 'x' that I'm trying to hit.

As far as hunting is concerned .019 is all that I want and need.

I suspect that the .001 size will transmit enough light for you, and that it won't be overly fragile. It is, of course, "delicate" because of its small diameter but it won't break or snap on you any more than any other fiber optic thread will.

westhoyt
01-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Hey Thanks Bowalker

4blade
01-01-2010, 09:32 AM
hoyt what site did you find the fiber on ,always looking as mine breaks quite regularly

bowhunterbruce
01-01-2010, 09:40 AM
i have a spott hogg 7 deadly pin customised with .019 pins for the top 4 pins then .010 for the lower 3.
i found haveing the smaller pins work well for seeing the x-ring at further distances.however i have yet to use these smaller pins at shooting at any game animals.
with the hogg wrap, the fiber optics are very well protected from catching on twiggs etc and have yet to accually need to replace any of them after 4 seasons of usage.
bruce

Bow Walker
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
i have a spott hogg 7 deadly pin customised with .019 pins for the top 4 pins then .010 for the lower 3.
i found haveing the smaller pins work well for seeing the x-ring at further distances.however i have yet to use these smaller pins at shooting at any game animals.
with the hogg wrap, the fiber optics are very well protected from catching on twiggs etc and have yet to accually need to replace any of them after 4 seasons of usage.
bruce
Pretty much confirms what I was trying to say. Spot Hogg is one sight that protects their pins/fiber threads very well. I have the Real Deal and while it's just 5 pins, I love it.

One of these days I'm going to get the sight that Bochunk2000 got for his new bow - the Trophy Ridge Micro V. Great pin protection, easy to acquire the target/animal, and I am partial to the vertical alignment of the pins.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM
In my exp ... unless you have alot of fiber exposed to natural light ... get a sight light for early morning or late day hunting .... but be aware with an electronic light you are not eligible for P&Y status .... I dont know about about some of the Cadium(??... Light stick) illuminated sights out there, I dont think that P&Y has disqualified those sights ...

Now that said ... I would love a .010 pin for hunting ...but I just havent gotten off my Fat A$$ and put one in my sight yet ....
But they are awesome for Target shooting ... I would only use one for paper though as some 3D I could be shooting in a very dark enviroment so i use a big wrap of .019 ....On my hunting bow i actually use .029 and a 2' wrap around the housing ... with a light if need be ...Once again ..only cause i am too lazy to change it right now ... and it works so far

westhoyt
01-02-2010, 03:20 PM
4 blade, I think you can buy fibre from spot hogg.
I was looking at a .10 pin sight on ebay , so I thought I would pose the question. I missed the sale but I am leaning toward the Spot Hogg sights.