PDA

View Full Version : Refletching Carbons

peterrum3
12-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Well its time after about 8 years of use to refletch all my arrows. Other than removing the old vanes and glue is there anything else that I have to do with carbons before putting the new ones on. A friend of mine mentioned that I should run steel wool over them beforehand.

Jagermeister
12-30-2009, 04:40 AM
A little bit of sanding with a fine grit sandpaper in the area where the fletch is to be applied. Just enough to improve the bonding surface for the fletch.

BowSitter
12-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Also clean the area really well with Isopropyl. Use 99%, any drug store has it.

Blk Arrow
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I suggest you consult the manufacturer of the vanes your installing. Check the FAQ section of their website. Blazers by Bohning, for example, should not be cleaned before applying adhesive as they are treated with a primer which aids adhesion.
"If all else fails read the instructions" (Anoynmous)

Bowzone_Mikey
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I use acetone to clean the shafts ....

Nail polish remover ...without the soft hand treatment crap in it ....

Bow Walker
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Removing the old glue is key to good adhesion of the new fletch/glue to the shaft. Scrape it as best you can, without damaging the shaft, and then procede with the very light sanding/steel-wooling to get rid of any remaining bits of glue and to roughen up the surface a bit.

Letting the glue dry or cure is also important. Don't refletch and then go out and shoot the arrows right away. Also - put a bead of glue on the leading edge (base) of the finished fletch. This will help protect the fletch in the case of pass-thrus...be it animals or targets.

peterrum3
12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, all good, especially from anonymous, amazing advice:-D

BowSitter
12-30-2009, 08:26 PM
I suggest you consult the manufacturer of the vanes your installing. Check the FAQ section of their website. Blazers by Bohning, for example, should not be cleaned before applying adhesive as they are treated with a primer which aids adhesion.

Instructions?? What are they??:wink:

Bow Walker
12-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Instructions are for newbies...

xtremearchery
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Hmmmmm... has this ever happened to anyone you know??? lol

Blk Arrow
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Hmmmmm... has this ever happened to anyone you know??? lolI understand it has occurred to more than just me. I just might be one of the few to admit it.:mrgreen:

Grantmac
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I tend to refletch mine 180 degrees from how they were before. Then if I missed a little bit of glue they will still fit well.
-Grant

ChilliwackWinchester
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
What's re-felching?

MikeH
01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
putting new vanes on arrows or the feathers on wood arrows by gluing ,they get ripped and such from over shooting.

ChilliwackWinchester
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I figured... but couldn't resist the opportunity to use "felching" :-)