PDA

View Full Version : New Bow!(finally)

Ddog
02-07-2006, 05:17 PM
let it be known that i have finally saved some money to get my new bow!
After exhausted hours of research upon research i have officially decided my new bow is going to be:

Martin xtreme slayer
65% let off
nitrous cam
Cobra sidewinder 3 pin sight

I am unsure of the rest i am going to use, i dont think it is going to be a drop away although 4 of 5 of my hunting partners say i have to go with a drop away even though they have all complained about one thing or another about them..

I was wondering how many out there use a drop away rest? and do you like it?

and by the by hoyt was a close 2nd and so was the Blackknight by Bowtech.

bsa30-06
02-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Congrats Ddog, sounds like you'll have a great new toy.I should have enough money for my bow(my first bow) sometime in march,can't wait.

Ddog
02-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I am excited...soooo excited! only a couple more weeks to go and my new friend will be home.

cowboy-up69
02-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Where'd you get your bow from? Im looking to get my first bow also, and I dont want nothin expensive, and nothing too cheap either. Wheres a good place to look at nice bows for a reasonable price? And how much was yours?

Canuck2
02-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Ddog, I think dropaways are the ONLY way to go. I've used all kinds of different rests over the years and I believe they (at least some kinds) are superior. They are the only style that really eliminates fletching contact for sure.

The one I like best is the Trap Door, which does not have a cable attached. I've found that the cable types can screw up on you. As for other options, many guys really like Whisker Biscuits because they contain your arrow and it doesn't fall off the rest and go 'clank' just when a deer is approaching. I have never found my arrow falling off to be a problem; it just takes some attention. Personally, I have used and do not like the Biscuit.

As for Trap Doors, I have them on 2 different bows and have shot a combined 10,000 or so arrows through them. Never once have I had a malfunction.

My $0.02.

bsa30-06
02-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Canuck2 , what was it you didn't like about the biscuit? I was thinking about putting one on my bow when i get it.

PGKris
02-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah for the Martin! You will be happy you bought it! Very forgiving a great bush bow. I would suggest a drop away rest or a Quiktune 3000. I have the quicktune and it is easily adjustable and reliable. never had a problem with it. Drop aways are good. I have a Barner drop away that I don't use anymore simply because the Quicktune is easier to adjust. What arrows are you shooting? Broadheads?

PGKris
02-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Whisker biscuits REALLY drop your speed down. And they are unreliable. Difficult to adjust as well. And the whiskers wear out. They are a pain IMO.

BlacktailStalker
02-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Biscuits can interfere with the fletching affecting accuracy, reducing arrow speed. Great if you plan on sitting with a knocked arrow for a long period of time. Not for me but great for some.
Good luck this year guys.

Ddog
02-07-2006, 07:14 PM
actually i never even considered the whisker biscuit hate the looks of em. simply not an option for me!
as for the bow i chose PGKris it is not a forgiving bow it has a short brace height 5 1/2" but i am confident in my shooting and i also had the Martin Fury until it got stolen.
i shoot gold tip hunter expedition 5575 with the grim reaper cut on impact mechanicals. in my opinion they are simply one of the best!
Thanks for your input on the drop away Canuck2

Ddog
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Cowboy-up69: if your looking for a bow might i suggest Specialty Shooting Sports in Langley . Mike is a good friend of mine and will not steer you wrong just tell him the amount you want to spend and what you want to do with your bow.

sealevel
02-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Ddog i hope your bow gets here faster than mine i orderd a hoyt trykon xl on the 28 of nov. it will soon be last years model. I use a trophy taker rest. But for hunting i use a WB it cost you about 3 feet per second they are quit and your arrow never falls off with other rests you have to glue moleskin or some fabric on the bow shelf to keep it quit

Ddog
02-07-2006, 07:58 PM
sealevel: i would be going crazy! when i want my new bow i want it now!!!
whats the hold -up? where did you order it from?

sealevel
02-07-2006, 08:04 PM
I orderd it from vernon outdoor store but its not there fault its just a big seller right now. I have a good bow to shoot so i am not suffering to bad anyway.

Ddog
02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
i have a good bow to shoot 2 but waiting that long is a killer. i dont think i have ever waited that long for anything i have ever ordered.

cowboy-up69
02-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Cowboy-up69: if your looking for a bow might i suggest Specialty Shooting Sports in Langley . Mike is a good friend of mine and will not steer you wrong just tell him the amount you want to spend and what you want to do with your bow.
Alright, thanks, I'll keep him in mind. by any chance do they do partial trades, like a firearm for a bow and pay some more cash or what?? If I cant sell my gun, thats what I want to do... Hmmm...Let me know.
Cliff

bsa30-06
02-07-2006, 09:04 PM
cowboy-up69, you may want to have a look at boormans in new west as well.

cowboy-up69
02-07-2006, 09:05 PM
cowboy-up69, you may want to have a look at boormans in new west as well.

Alright, will do! Do you know if they do trade ins?

bsa30-06
02-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Dont know if they do trades but i've been told that if you buy your bow there and in the future decide you want a differnent bow or newer bow he will give you back 85% of the purchase price to put towards the newer model.I doubt that they do trades the way youwant to because they deal in bows only .

cowboy-up69
02-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Dont know if they do trades but i've been told that if you buy your bow there and in the future decide you want a differnent bow or newer bow he will give you back 85% of the purchase price to put towards the newer model.I doubt that they do trades the way youwant to because they deal in bows only .

Ohhhh ok, I gotcha...Well Ill keep them in mind anyway, never know, might sell my rifle!!!

sealevel
02-10-2006, 08:40 PM
My bow left ont. today so i will have it next week.:grin: :grin: :grin: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kirby
02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
cowboy up, I'd also recomend mike @ specialty. Its one of the few stores I really frequent. I have been dealing with Mike and Rhonda since 98. Definatly good people.

Kirby

cowboy-up69
02-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Alrighty Kirby, I was told by someone else also to go check them out...Im gunna give them a call next week!:D

greybark
02-11-2006, 09:56 PM
:wink: Hey Cowboy-up , When in the Abbotsford area be sure to check out Hubsports for your bow . They have a large stock and are knowledgable . For years Roger Dornan has supported the archery community with quality donations . The staff and Roger are very approachable and willing to "talk" .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

willyqbc
02-12-2006, 08:09 AM
gotta agree, the drop-away is the only way to go, especialy with the speed your gonna generate in that bow with larger hunting fletches, Having used many different drop-aways between me, my wife, my dad etc I can tell you that the best by far for problem free use, bullet proof reliabilty, and ease of tuning is the trophy taker. They are extremely simple and therefore have very little to go wrong. They drop quickly and reliably at even the highest speeds (my bow is around 310 fps). Oh...and congrats on your new toy!

Chris

Ddog
02-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks willy.
as alot of people know my Martin Fury was stolen in Sept 05 and it has taken me this long to save the money to get a new one. I can hardly wait.
i hope it has been worth the wait (i know it has)
sealevel :yay finally!

JohnS
02-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Well Guys I traded in my PSE Venom .... And joined the Mathews Family with a 2005 Switchback ... what a sweet Bow ... and congrats on the new bow Ddog martin hs some sweet bows and Thier advertiseing is good too LOL! *** cheers*** and good shooting

Fred
02-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Well Guys I traded in my PSE Venom .... And joined the Mathews Family with a 2005 Switchback ... what a sweet Bow ... and congrats on the new bow Ddog martin hs some sweet bows and Thier advertiseing is good too LOL! *** cheers*** and good shooting

Welcome to the enlightened side ! :mrgreen: Does this mean that you will be changing your user name too! :wink: Fred