PDA

View Full Version : Catahoula Hound

onlygotagrousesofar
02-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Anybody here ever seen or have any experience with these types of dog?

They seem like an interesting breed. Tough like a blue heeler but bigger maybe?

--Trevor

Ozone
02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Ya Ive seen4 of them at different times. There eyes Freak me out.
There also called Luisiana Tiger hounds. Ive heard there a lot of work.

onlygotagrousesofar
02-02-2006, 09:58 PM
The quick reply is kinda slow....so sorry if this double posts.

Freaky how?

Trevor

Ozone
02-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Of the ones ive seen 6out of 8 eyes were marbled. If youve ever seem a dog with 2 marbled eyes your first thought will be SATAN.

houndogger
02-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Catahoula's ain't hounds they are Curs. Neat looking though.8-)

onlygotagrousesofar
02-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok.
So I found some pics.

Definitely freaky looking.

Some other pics showed a dog going vertical----15' up a tree to a racoon in a cage (training I guess)
Looks like they can climb trees and jump to beat the band too.

T.

Fred
02-02-2006, 11:27 PM
They are really popular in the south/central US. I looked into them quite some time back but they weren't available up here at that time. They use them about the same as a lion dog down there but for coons and such.
Houndogger, you are on a US site aren't you? Are those Cats coming north in any real quantity yet? Fred

houndogger
02-03-2006, 12:08 AM
I am not to sure who has any Catahoulas up here but there are some. Leftcoast who was on here a while back had one. He has a couple of Lepard Curs right now. I have his male that I am droping off to him on my way to the interior on Saturday. The Lepards tree a little harder then the Catahoulas. I will talk to Keith on Saturday and ask where he got his from. I will be back in a week.

Fred
02-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Have fun and be safe! Fred

Steelheadfreak
09-20-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a Catahoula pup Ill be picking up end of Oct. Got mine from Spokane Wa. The eyes you guys are refering to are called "Glass eyes" and yes, they sometimes give people the hebegebees. In the south they are bred for hunting hogs and coons. On the coast and west they are bred as cattle dogs. They are quite independent and quite a handfull and not for everyone. Deffinatly have to show them who is boss. One of the best thing about them is that they circle. Take off but always come back within the hour. They are called "worlds most versitile dog" meaning good for everything. Hunting, ranching/herding, family, law enforcment, ect, ect, ect. Ill post pics when I get him.

MooseNuts
09-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Here is a link from usedvictoria, apparently there is a breeder here on the island.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/877182&category=dogs

green machine
11-09-2008, 07:40 PM
hey if anybody is interested in a catahoula i know of a breeder in duncan i am hoping to get a pup from in the spring if he breeds the dogs again other wise might have to wait till next fall. i have the number for them if anybody want it he was taking peoples names when i talked to him.

3kills
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
i know a guy who has or has had a few of them...

jiggy
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Tough with bears,big softy with kids,lots of personality yet can be really stubborn.

Trailmaster
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
My cousins girlfriend has one and that thing loves to find bears, seems to always push the bears out in the open, most likely bred into them for hog hunting. She was upset I nutered my black and tan she wanted to breed the two.