PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with Mutts

onlygotagrousesofar
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Anybody ever hunt using a mixed breed? Mutt-----SPCA special?

I'm pretty sure my dog is part lab (aren't all BC mutts:tongue: ) and will hurl herself off a dock for a ball. When she loses a ball she goes nose down and tail up and flagging, zig-zagging all over the place looking for it. It seems (to me) she's got some good instincts.
One thing she doesn't do however, is go nuts at the sight of birds. My friends lab does and our dogs are like physical twins (if you overlook my dog's almost shepperd like fur). Same lab head, and lean (for lab) fast body. My dog just doesn't go nuts. If I say heel, or "no" she ignores them.

So I'm wondering if she'd be a hunter. If it's possible, how would I start her out?

Anyway you slice it though she's a great dog. It would just be nice to have her learn to hunt too.

Any advice would be appreciated.
--Trevor

ps: 1st bear she saw---she stared at it. She's a bit of a greenhorn. 2nd bear she saw she growled and scared it off. It was sneaking up behind me while I was fishing the Mahood river last summer. Good thing too because my bear spray was with my lunch, which was far away---and my waders had me trapped by the knees 'cause I was drying off from leaks and sweat.......

long story short---she's a good dog and getting better all the time.