PDA

View Full Version : whisker buskuit

westhoyt
12-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi there, do the same rules apply for adjusting my bow with a WB rest. Iam getting a tail high reading on a paper test. Thanks

westhoyt
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
The reason I ask is I have read a few threads that say a high nocking point is better for WB tuneing.
My bow seemed pretty tuned doing the walkback tuning.
I built an arrow spinner and am picking up the G5 insert squaring tool today.
Once in a while I do notice my arrow leaves the bow tail high, not sure if it is bad form or tuneing. Thanks

Bow Walker
12-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm assuming that the WB is the right size for your shafts? Not too tight or too sloppy?

I've always done a level nocking point when shooting with a release - it just propels the arrow straighter as it leaves the bow. In other words, it doesn't impart either a downward nor an upward characteristic to the arrow flight as it is trying to stabilize within the first 5 yards of the shot.

There is enough force(s) for the fletching to overcome, and to get the arrow spinning, I don't like introducing a different type of torque to the dynamics.

oldtimer
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm assuming that the WB is the right size for your shafts? Not too tight or too sloppy?

I've always done a level nocking point when shooting with a release - it just propels the arrow straighter as it leaves the bow. In other words, it doesn't impart either a downward nor an upward characteristic to the arrow flight as it is trying to stabilize within the first 5 yards of the shot.

There is enough force(s) for the fletching to overcome, and to get the arrow spinning, I don't like introducing a different type of torque to the dynamics.

YUP, what he said :) Mike

Bow Walker
12-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Hiya Mike! Merry Yuletide Greetings of the Politically Correct Kind!!

westhoyt
12-13-2009, 05:52 PM
hI , WELL did some tinkering but my results were the same, Bh still 3 inches lower than FP, I am wondering if the rest is bumping the tail of the arrow up when it leaves the bow, the field point recovers quickly but the broadhead can't.

hardnocks
12-13-2009, 06:03 PM
A whisker bisquit well expose bad form. its quit likely you are droping your bow before the fletches are getting to the bisquit.

oldtimer
12-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Dan, none of that Politically correct crap! Merry Christmas buddy. and if none of the Muslims, Buddists, Maoists,and any other group don't like it they can go back where they came from. :) Mike

greybark
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
:-D Hey Westhoyt , I don`t know a damn thing of what you are talking about (OT can vouch for that). If your problem persists could you bow`s timing be out .
:tongue: With ONE inch of snow here and -3 I have to keep moving and posting !!!!
Cheers

BowSitter
12-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Probably a mute point but make sure you are shooting cock vane up as wb's are designed to shoot that way.

hardnocks
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Probably a mute point but make sure you are shooting cock vane up as wb's are designed to shoot that way.
nope that's wrong . their is a v of dark bristles at the bottom underneath the hole. that's where your cockvane should go through.

westhoyt
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes Cock vane is up the way it should be, I am pretty sure it is not form because the groupings are good, changeing nocking point or rest elevation is not bringing FP and BH closer together. Thanks

xtremearchery
12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
I have shot the w/b sense it came out. No problems. which w/b are you using? If you are shooting the deluxe you can make more precise adjustments. what fletching are you using? are you shooting a straight, l/h or r/h? If you are shoot l/h which you should if you are a r/h shot, you'll have to orientate your nock to have clearance for both the fletch and the cables. your fletch should be oriented almost as in you were shooting a long bow. cock out slightly. All this said, if your timing is set up properly and tuning is in check make sure you follow through your shot and keep good form. Dropping your arm the slightest will result in a bad tear.

westhoyt
12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Not sure about timing, hopefully it was set up in the shop where I bought it new,
WB IS NOT A DELUXE AND KIND OF A PAIN TO ADJUST
Arrows are radial x weave stl 200, 3" fletchings
I will be careful to follow through with shots,
Funny, everything was great until I started trying to tune fixed broadheads, my Tekans shoot great

Maverick7
12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
shoot rages. thatll help for sure ;).

BowSitter
12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
nope that's wrong . their is a v of dark bristles at the bottom underneath the hole. that's where your cockvane should go through.

The dark bristles are slightly stiffer to hold your arrow. The cock vane is up and the other vanes go on either side of the stiffer bristles.
Quote from Trophy Ridge site
http://www.trophyridge.com/tips-tricks/

Foxtail
12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Sometimes BH's just won't group with fieldpoints... 3" at what yardage?

you want your WB and your knock point to be level...

hardnocks
12-15-2009, 12:05 AM
The dark bristles are slightly stiffer to hold your arrow. The cock vane is up and the other vanes go on either side of the stiffer bristles.
Quote from Trophy Ridge site
http://www.trophyridge.com/tips-tricks/

i stand corrected.

Lee
12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
5g per # for arrows. ie 70 # draw = 350g

dont quote me on the math or the exact specifics, there was a chart to determine arrow weights and such, I "believe" the above is correct. You mentioned 200g arrows but not poundage of your bow. Maybe the arrow is too light?

westhoyt
12-15-2009, 06:27 AM
just read athread on another site on broadhead tuneing, looks like I need to keep moving my rest up or nock down, [like some of you have said,]
I t looks like my arrow wont be sitting 90 degrees from the string if I do this but I will give it a try.

Foxtail
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
5g per # for arrows. ie 70 # draw = 350g

dont quote me on the math or the exact specifics, there was a chart to determine arrow weights and such, I "believe" the above is correct. You mentioned 200g arrows but not poundage of your bow. Maybe the arrow is too light?

5 grns per pound is IBO and the minimum weight of total arrow weight to which most bow manufacturers will warrenty a bow to.

the 200 number westhoyt referred to earlier in the post is the spine of the arrow he is using and is actualy quite a stiff arrow and weighs more than enough... depending on draw weight and arrow length you might actually be over spined...

Lee
12-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Was this problem ever resolved? Would be nice to know the resultant "fix" to the problem.

westhoyt
12-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Oh hey, been working the last couple of days still a work in progress, I would like to invest in a WB that is more adjuster friendly, am going to play with it later today.

westhoyt
12-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi there, well I moved my rest up a few times and had no change in results BHs 3 INCHES lower than FPS
I previously squared all my shafts and spin tested arrows.
So I went against the basic rule and tried lowering my rest, I am getting better results, but had to take a break , will try some more later.

westhoyt
12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
OK I continued lowering my rest and the results are improving, I am thinking my rest was way to high to begin with, the arrows are leaving the bow a lot flatter now,so will keep tuneing . Heading up to the ski hill now.

westhoyt
12-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Frustration sets in, no matter where my rest is I am 3 inches low with BH, I can put all my FPS and a Tekan in a grouping the size of a loonie, so there must be something else going on .
The bow tech at the sports store is great at original tuneing with square and lazer but not all that experienced at BH tuneing.
I need to leave this alone for a bit and maybe try when I get some patience back, Thanks for the help.

Foxtail
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Each arrow will have to be individually tuned to each bh... try giving the arrows nock a bit of a twist until it groups a bit better... not so much to put your vane through the black bristles, but enough to change flight characteristics. If you can, spin test the arrows...

Also 3 blades fly resist wind planing a bit better than 2 or 4 blade. Expandables will be even better.

Lee
12-22-2009, 02:03 AM
You'll getter figured, lots of time till next season :)

westhoyt
12-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the support , I am back to work, will try over xmas.