PDA

View Full Version : Crow hunting

CanAm500
01-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Anyone ever tried/done crow hunting?

If so what do you do with the carcuse(s)?

Ozone
01-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh god here we go again.

CanAm500
01-31-2006, 10:31 PM
What?

Already been posted?

lip_ripper00
01-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh god here we go again.ROFLMAO:biggrin:

CanAm500
01-31-2006, 10:46 PM
???Im confused???

Marc
01-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Crow hunting can only be done on cultivated land for crop protection. You can't just shoot them in the woods while out hunting.

Marc.

Barracuda
01-31-2006, 11:25 PM
page 14 section C outlines the rules and regulations pertaining to this

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/documents/hunting_regulations.pdf

BlacktailStalker
02-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Just curious did you think of hunting crows after reading the article in the recent Outdoor Life magazine? I just saw the article in there tonight.

BlacktailStalker
02-01-2006, 12:42 AM
So you can just shoot them anywhere, as well as by luring them in with an electronic caller. An owl decoy in the open works really well too. They hate owls. I heard crow calls and an owl decoy works wonders.

Fred
02-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Crow hunting can only be done on cultivated land for crop protection. You can't just shoot them in the woods while out hunting.

Marc.

That isn't how I read section c on page 14. It says they can be taken anywhere at anytime BUT you must have a hunting licence if you are not on your own property or if they are not destroying property. Fred

Barracuda
02-01-2006, 12:48 AM
crows are a whole lotta fun to hunt and as you can see in the regs they are scedule C animals meaning you dont need permit if you are on your property or they are destroying something.
otherwise you need a liscence and they can be captured or killed anywhere and any time in the province . On top of that you are also allowed to use electronic calls for schedule C bird:biggrin:

Mr. Dean
02-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Just make sure they're not RAVENS - CO will have an issue with that.
As for an answer to the question, I think most leave em out for fertilizer.

REDGREEN
02-01-2006, 03:29 AM
:biggrin: When I shot them with the 25 06 or the Weatherby, there wasn't enough left to worry about.:biggrin:

Marc
02-01-2006, 06:33 AM
That isn't how I read section c on page 14. It says they can be taken anywhere at anytime BUT you must have a hunting licence if you are not on your own property or if they are not destroying property. Fred

I stand corrected. I could have sworn it was for crop protection only. Did it change from last year?

Marc.

Fred
02-01-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't have any older Regs, Marc, so I have no idea. I will admit that they are a fun prey to try for though. And as for mistaking a Raven for a Crow, At least for me that couldn't happen! Fred

Barracuda
02-01-2006, 10:31 AM
crows have pretty much always been sched C animals . I used to test my home made ghillie suits and a mouth call in an open field. they are really smart birds . If you can find a roost you will truly see what a mob is when you start blowing your call. This year they have allowed use of electronic calls which i tried (johnny stuart tape and a loud speaker hooked to a casset player) and i brought them in from really far and i could hide away from the tape . even if you dont shoot them it is really fun to call them in.

mrdoog
02-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Taped calls, loud speakers????
Just leave a Burger King bag out in the open, they will come from miles around.

kishman
02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I use my ruger 10/.22 with a 4xbushnell and 40 gr. solid cci blaser ammo, killer setup for crows. And believe it or not when I was a kid in Saskatchewan I heard of lots of folks eating crow.(no pun intended...lol):tongue:

Gateholio
02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
When you call in a murder of crows for 4the first time, you get a real eye opener!!

They start going NUTS!! (It's kinda creepy in a way)

Calling in and shooting crows is great fun, they are Scheduloe C and have always been. You could shoot dozens of crows a day and you wouldn't severly impact thier populations.

Crows (and the proliferaton of crows) are detrimental to other bird species,especially raptors.

Clal them in and BLAST them!!:D

PGKris
02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Best place to hunt crows is in the McDonalds parking lot with your .177cal pellet pistol. :wink: :wink: I mean noooooooooooo I would never do that. :biggrin:

kishman
02-01-2006, 12:40 PM
a handfull of any seed would do the trick i would think.....:wink:

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Ok thanks guys. I had a firend at school that was wondering about them, I showed him the hunting and trappping regulations but he said it made no sence.

The the final answer is: Yes you can hunt them, just it has to be on your own land (and if not on your own land then you have to have a tag)?

Marc
02-01-2006, 06:02 PM
There is no tag specific for crow, just your general hunting lisence.

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 06:55 PM
So then it is kinda like grouse then, no tag but you need your hunter #.

Marc
02-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Yuppers, if you read over the hunting synopisis all these answers are in there.:wink:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/documents/h&t_synopsis_05_06.pdf

Dragginbait
02-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Not just a hunter #, but an actual hunting licence. If you shoot one, try it. FEZ did :biggrin:

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
1996 regs are about the same, crows are fun to shoot, get a plastic owl and a hooter call, and a crow call, give a few hoots, and blow youre crow call like a crow in distres and have fun, a coyote might even show up to see whats going on.

PGKris
02-01-2006, 08:10 PM
So then it is kinda like grouse then, no tag but you need your hunter #.

NOOOOOOOO! You gotta have a hunting license to shoot grouse! Not just your hunter #

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 08:13 PM
you need a hunting licence to shoot crows off of your property.

huntwriter
02-01-2006, 08:59 PM
As has been said here, you need a hunting license to shoot crows but there are no special tags for it. Crows are, like the coyote, concidered a nuisance animal.

You are so lucky in region 1, here in region 2 we can't hunt crows. Like ruger#1 said they are great fun to shoot. When I lived in Illinois, a few friends and I would bang them out of the air until we burned our hands on the hot shotgun barrels. It's good target practise too.

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Hunting license/hunter number is what I ment. Basically you have to pass the CORE test.

Marc
02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
No he's talking about the hunting lisence, the booklet with the red tag in it

Jager
02-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Thought about hunting crows for a while but I haven't got off my butt to do it yet. I always thought of crows and raccoons (in region 1) as the perfect excuse to pack a gun in the woods all year long. aka no closed season. I would keep the crows for crab bait (chicken works great maybe crow will too).

I do have a question re: schedule C critters...does the ANYTIME definition mean you could hunt them at night? Or does it mean throughout the year? Can anybody direct me to a page in the regs that talks about the legality of hunting after dark as I can't seem to find it.

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 10:30 PM
huntwriter , you can shoot crows, any where and any time in the province, and i do not think you can shoot them in the dark.

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 10:48 PM
I get it now, so you do need a tag. How much does the tag go for?

PGKris
lcpaintballer....you must have a hunting licence to hunt crows anywhere in BC. Just like coyotes, ravens on private land and european starlings. As far as I know if they are on your own land you do not need one if you can prove they are causing damage. Now you want to talk hard to hit.....let's go with starlings!

PGKris
Not a tag. Just a basic hunting licence.

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 10:55 PM
So when you pass the CORE exam you get your hunter number (correct?), when you have this number you are able to buy tags. So isnt that having a licence?

:confused: Sorry but I plan on taking the CORE exam after the provincals at school.

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 11:00 PM
a hunting licence and tags are two different things, you need a hunting licence to shoot crows on crown land, you do not need tag, and the government dosnt issue tags, you do need a hunting licence and deer tag to hunt , deer.

PGKris
02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
You have to get the CORE, then you buy a basic licence, ($34.24) and then you buy separate tags to go in your licence booklet. I didn't realize you were a rookie. :D

Jiguer
02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
huntwriter , you can shoot crows, any where and any time in the province, and i do not think you can shoot them in the dark.
There are golden rules and the one about time is also in the synopsis, pg.18 (art 10 for all game) (art 11 for migratory birds).

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Ok....SO like Kris said, when done the CORE exam you get your hunter number....that number lets you get the licence(which lets you hunt grouse,coyotes, and crows....etc)...then the licence allowes you to buy tags.

No problem, im still trying to figure this paper work stuff out :)

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 11:08 PM
your getting it, you better get a hunting regulation synopsis, they are free at any sport shop and you will learn a bit more. thanks for the info there jiguer. i couldnt find it.

Jiguer
02-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Ok....SO like Kris said, when done the CORE exam you get your hunter number....that number lets you get the licence(which lets you hunt grouse,coyotes, and crows....etc)...then the licence allowes you to buy tags.

No problem, im still trying to figure this paper work stuff out :)
Unless I'm mistaken, you should only need tags for big game. Originally to hunt you need your BC hunting licence for 30 so dollars, then if you want to hunt migratory birds you need the migratory bird licence, if you want to hunt big game ei.. deer, moose, elk etc... then you would need to acquire the tag for that specific animal.

Brambles
02-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Even thought the schedual C says anywhere and at anytime
I believe you still have to obey the hunting laws ie no shooting for a certain timeframe before sun-up and after sun-down. Also you have to be 100 yards from any inhabited building etc etc. Look in the synopsis for the full explanation.
Also some municipalities have a no-discharge of firearms with in city limits so you have to obey that too.

Brambles

CanAm500
02-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Alright, thanks all.

Iron-Head
02-02-2006, 11:37 PM
As has been said here, you need a hunting license to shoot crows but there are no special tags for it. Crows are, like the coyote, concidered a nuisance animal.

You are so lucky in region 1, here in region 2 we can't hunt crows. Like ruger#1 said they are great fun to shoot. When I lived in Illinois, a few friends and I would bang them out of the air until we burned our hands on the hot shotgun barrels. It's good target practise too.Why do you say We cant hunt them in region 2??:confused:

Jager
02-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks for finding the the section in the synopsis re: hunting times (pg18) for game and migratory game birds 1hr - 1/2hr after or before sunset/sunrise. I took a look at the definitions of game and game birds on pg 10 and it would seem crows are neither.....so, can you hunt them after dark? I don't think I would ever hunt after dark, this is just more of a question I have with the clearity of the regs. Also, I find it interesting that south tof the border the can hunt racoons, possums, coyotes, ???after dark.

huntwriter
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Why do you say We cant hunt them in region 2??:confused:
I cannot find them in the listings of animals for region 2. :-(

I have read the regulations from front to back and found nothing about region 2 and crow hunting.

Do I miss something?

Barracuda
02-03-2006, 05:59 PM
read every region and tell us if you find crow:biggrin: their isnt a listing as they are a schedule C vermin so yes we can shoot them in region 2:biggrin:

huntwriter
02-03-2006, 06:24 PM
read every region and tell us if you find crow:biggrin: their isnt a listing as they are a schedule C vermin so yes we can shoot them in region 2:biggrin:

Duhh. Thanks Barracuda for clearing that up. Sometimes I can't see the trees for forest.:D

Gateholio
02-04-2006, 01:11 AM

You are so lucky in region 1, here in region 2 we can't hunt crows. Like ruger#1 said they are great fun to shoot. When I lived in Illinois, a few friends and I would bang them out of the air until we burned our hands on the hot shotgun barrels. It's good target practise too.

You can hunt crows all you like in Reg 2!!

All you have to do is be in an area that allows shooting.

Fraser valley is full of crows, BLAST them!!:biggrin:

Jiguer
02-04-2006, 02:11 AM
Sometime soon, I will buy a nice Ruger 10/22 and spend my year (in between grouse hunting) shooting down as many crows as possible, I hate those birds, nothing worse then being woken up in the morning by a crow beside your window. aaaarg....

Foxer
02-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Crows are a very, very destructive bird. They are extremely agressive, and the province is just as happy to see people dust 'em.

As was mentioned, make sure you're not whacking a bunch of ravens.

As for recepies for crow - i'd recommend this:

Soak a ceader shingle in a good brine/spice marinade overnight, as you would for fish.

Put the plank over an open fire (let it burn down to nice cooking coals). Note - over, not in.

Put the plucked crow on the shingle. Cook for about half an hour.

Throw the crow away and eat the shingle.

That's probably about the tastiest way to make 'em. :) Myself, i'm thinking i just don't get that hungry...

Marc
02-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Hmm the boys from the 70's show seamed to like them ok. Hell you can hunt them with a stick and a wistle.8-)

Thunderstix
02-04-2006, 10:01 AM

Why can't you hunt them in Region 2? I might have missed it but I don't see anyhting saying Region 2 is off limits.

Thunderstix
02-04-2006, 10:03 AM
oops! I guess I should have read every page of this thread first! Ignore me Wayne!

CanAm500
02-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Ok, Dad was reading this and wanted to know; What is the difference between a crow and a rave?

ruger#1
02-04-2006, 11:28 AM
a raven is alot bigger, do you have them on the island, a raven is also a meat scavenger, means they do not eat farmers cherries rune farmers crops or eat birds eggs and baby birds like the crows do. funny thing is if you have a tame crow and you split its tongue it can say a few words. i also have a Friend that has an albino crow , he shot in Alberta.

Jiguer
02-04-2006, 02:46 PM
a raven is alot bigger, do you have them on the island, a raven is also a meat scavenger, means they do not eat farmers cherries rune farmers crops or eat birds eggs and baby birds like the crows do. funny thing is if you have a tame crow and you split its tongue it can say a few words. i also have a Friend that has an albino crow , he shot in Alberta.
I believe it's the other way around, the Raven is much smaller.

Iron-Head
02-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Nope sorry but the raven is also known for being destructive of farmers crops and hell when the find a nest that will have baby birds they will eat em....as for the raven being smaller than a crow....they are actually quite larger and another way to distinguish a raven from a crow is they have a hump in there beek.....as well as a much lower voice then the crow,there caww is much deeper sounding.

ratherbefishin
02-04-2006, 04:49 PM
you can shoot ravens on the gulf islands-they are a plague to sheep farmers,killing lambs.The peck the eyes out, even the ewes when giving birth.However being allowed to shoot them and actually killing them are two diferent stories.I once put a rifle up and pointed it at a raven sitting on a snag a good 200 yards away-and I was hidden behind a garage wall -the raven spotted me immediately and dropped down through the trees and flew away- a favourite trick.You can shoot one crow and bring in the whole flock-you certainly can't do that with ravens

CanAm500
02-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Alright, thanks all.

Seth
02-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Where can I get one of those crow call audio tapes?

REPO
02-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I believe it's the other way around, the Raven is much smaller.

Not sure about your ravens, but they are quite a bit larger than crows here! :lol:

huntwriter
02-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Gatehouse and Thuderstix. It's okay now, Baracude has shown me the light. I have not seen crows listed in the region 2 game listings, then Baracuda made me aware of the obvious that crows are schedule C listed animals.

So everything is crystal clear now. :D

As for the question or crows are bigger than ravens. As far I know, at least in Europe, ravens are bigger than crows. Ravens can and will kill and eat smaller game like birds and squirrels while a crow eats farming crop and dead game.

ruger#1
02-04-2006, 09:25 PM
i dont think you can shoot ravens and crows with a rifle correct me if im wrong. i have also watched crows fly away with baby ducks that are out of the nest swimming along a lake shore. i did not know that ravens are that destrutive, heck ive even seen squirils take baby robins out of there nests.

LOC
02-04-2006, 09:36 PM
If you look at the reg's under "Legal methods" the only thing you can't shoot with a rifle are migritory birds. Ravens and Crows aren't listed in the defination of migritory birds so I would say you can take'm with a rifle..

Barracuda
02-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Ravens are a game bird as such (listed season) crows are not (as far as i understood you can shoot a crow with a single projectile, actually you could destroy them almost any way you want as long as it was considered humane) .
I am not sure if you would lump a raven in as upland game though . It could be an entity unto itself.

Iron-Head
02-04-2006, 10:11 PM
If i ever get a crack at one that is living upland away from dumps and all ill give it a try....(again) I have et them before and they are fine.....although i wouldnt want to et one that has been feasting on goodies that can be mixed in with poopie diapers.:wink: :lol:

CanAm500
02-04-2006, 10:31 PM
What do they taste like symon?

ex bc guide
02-04-2006, 10:39 PM
mmmm,you can have my share
Mike

CanAm500
02-04-2006, 11:04 PM
No thanks....lol

Iron-Head
02-04-2006, 11:15 PM
I shot mine when i was working on a corn farm just outside of montreal so it was fine tasted a bit gamy like spruce grouse can be.But other wise i would shoot em again but only use them for stew probably.
Boy there nothing like a pigeon stew after work.When all you have to do is go into the barn and shot 3 or 4 and skin and debone,YUM.

johnes50
02-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Where can I get one of those crow call audio tapes?

This is for a cassette. http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php?product_id=357042&cat_id=10&subcat_id=40&PHPSESSID=1e170d3cc86344cdb6c9411de2ebff59&PHPSESSID=1e170d3cc86344cdb6c9411de2ebff59

This is for a handheld call. http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php?product_id=350156&cat_id=10&subcat_id=40&PHPSESSID=1e170d3cc86344cdb6c9411de2ebff59&PHPSESSID=1e170d3cc86344cdb6c9411de2ebff59

I used to use a handheld when I was a kid with a fake owl in the tree. If they saw our guns they would hightail it outa Dodge pretty quick. Lots of fun to call them in. Good practice for big game calling.

Leaseman
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
A CO once told me that they classify a raven if the wing span is over 18 inches....also a raven can glide as a crow with wings too small for their body are alway flapping (unless very windy) or they will drop like a stone!

Mike

PGKris
02-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I would take that CO to court over that one. Ravens are generally bigger but you can tell them apart by their legs and the colour of their feathers. I've shot crows with a wingspan way bigger than 18"

Fred
02-10-2006, 10:06 PM
The beaks are different and so is thier calling. It's guys like that ,that give CO's a bad name! Fred

muleskinnerblued
11-20-2009, 09:56 PM
shoot em' with a 12 gauge with buck shot and I doubt they're will be anything left for C.O to discuss..:mrgreen:

CabinFever
11-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Does anybody still have a picture of Yappy Doodle Dog and his prize crow?

Pete
11-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Trappers often use wings on their Lynx and Bobcat cubbies. They might appreciate getting crow wings

wolverine
11-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Not just a hunter #, but an actual hunting licence. If you shoot one, try it. FEZ did :biggrin:

Black Pheasant ... that goes... ca-caw, ca-caw... I laughed my ass off!

wolverine
11-21-2009, 08:43 AM
So when you pass the CORE exam you get your hunter number (correct?), when you have this number you are able to buy tags. So isnt that having a licence?

:confused: Sorry but I plan on taking the CORE exam after the provincals at school.

Sweet Jesus.... you better go back and take the CORE course again. See my other post in "What chaps your Ass".... this is exactly what the hell I'm talking about.

wolverine
11-21-2009, 08:55 AM

You've not spent much time in Raven country. They will do everything a crow will except that amount of damage to crops is generally less. They will raid a nest just as soon as a crow will. How do you split a crow's tongue? Crows and Ravens are great natural mimicks. The tongue splitting thing... yeah... just a wives tale. Yes, Ravens are protected... but ranchers blast them out of the sky all the time.. along with eagles. They will pull the eyeballs right out of a new born calf.

wrenchhead
11-21-2009, 09:27 AM
when i was younger, me and a buddy would wait in his yard every night at the same time for a murder of crows (like 200) that would fly by on their way to their roost.
it was a 'blast' literaly! two 12 gauges roaring out a full magazine of shots!
usually get a few a night for a few nights till they would get smart and fly 200 yards to the south out of range.

solanderdog
11-21-2009, 09:36 AM

When we were kids, there was a crow that hung around my cousin's farm that hung around and just kept saying hello, hello, hello. Hadn't thought of that in years! Thanks for the memory.

drakfero
11-21-2009, 12:22 PM
is it the same with seagull?

Legi0n
11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
how to identify ravens and crows.

http://depts.washington.edu/natmap/facts/crow_vs_raven.html

ruger#1
11-21-2009, 05:51 PM
There was a crow in the school that i went to in grade seven that would say FU , Someone would always bring it in the school. Someone also had a blue and gold macaw that they let fly around in the summer time.

Legi0n
11-21-2009, 06:52 PM
There was a crow in the school that i went to in grade seven that would say FU .

this is reason enough to blow them out of the sky