PDA

View Full Version : Building Arrows

Doug Skelly
12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Can you boys help me out i was wondering if there are there any complete kits out there for building your own arrows.From start to finish ,i use to build my own aluminums .

Thanks.

islandboy
12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.binghamprojects.com/

Bow Walker
12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
You're going to need a cutoff saw, a fletching jig, a G5 ASD (arrow squaring device), and some sort of vanes or feathers.

Harbour Freight makes a nice (inexpensive) cuttoff saw.

BPE makes a good flrtching jig.

Vanes or feathers you can get pretty much anywhere.

Oh yeah, and some glue.

I don't know of anyone who sells all the above in a kit form, but it doesn't take much to fill the order using Ebay.

Good luck with your project.

Doug Skelly
12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Thank you Bow Walker.
I do want to become more independant with repairs and such.My bow guy is no longer around so iam looking forward to learning more.

Bow Walker
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
That's exactly why/how I got started. There's nothing magical about bow repair/tuning at all - hell, if I can do you can too.

You should be able to pick up a "kit" which would include some glue, some vanes, and/or wraps, plus a DVD for about $30.

huntwriter
12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
You're going to need a cutoff saw, a fletching jig, a G5 ASD (arrow squaring device), and some sort of vanes or feathers.

Harbour Freight makes a nice (inexpensive) cuttoff saw.

BPE makes a good flrtching jig.

Vanes or feathers you can get pretty much anywhere.

Oh yeah, and some glue.

I don't know of anyone who sells all the above in a kit form, but it doesn't take much to fill the order using Ebay.

Good luck with your project.

What Bow Walker said.

Making your own arrows is easy once you get the hang of it. I made my arrows for many years until I got a sponsor that paid for my arrows. Now I have enough to last me a lifetime.:mrgreen:

Doug Skelly
12-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Is it any different with carbon arrows,compared to aluminum. I am assuming that the cutt off saw is one difference.
I would just go to the shop and look into it myself but i am stuck in camp for another week.
Thanks for the advise.

Bow Walker
12-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Arrow cutoff saws (besides needing a minimum rpm of 5000) will cut both carbon and aluminum just fine. Although, you can use a nice sharp tube cutter on the als - you know, like the plimbers use. You will need to de-burr the inside of the shaft after cutting so the insert will slide in nicely.

I know of people who have made a cutoff saw using sewing machine motors. The key is the rpms.

Doug Skelly
12-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I am no longer shooting alms havent been for a couple years,thank god for carbon fiber compos.