PDA

View Full Version : $20 for grouse? Maybe we should set up a stall in Kitsilano!

seanps
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey gang,

My girlfriend was in a meat market on 4th Avenue in Vancouver last week, picking up some nice pork belly to be turned into bacon (yum).

The area (Kitsilano) is sort of a trendy neighbourhood with lots of young families, Lululemon-wearing moms and yuppies.

When the gf was waiting around and chatting with the guy behind the counter, the talk turned to wild game and mushrooms (I've been having good luck with chanterelles this fall).

Anyway, when the butcher heard that I've started hunting again this fall, he pointed to some grouse in the display cabinet: You wouldn't believe it, but little ones were going for $20 apiece -- somewhere around $10/pound!

Crazy, eh? Maybe we could make our fortunes by setting up an HBC stall and charging the yuppies $$ for game. :-D

MichelD
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I drove to 7-11 and back after moose and deer this year and came back with one grouse.

I haven't fully calculated my gas expenses, never mind food and time off work, but roughly figuring six tanks of gas, in fuel alone my 1.25 pound ruffed grouse grouse cost me $264.00 a pound.

I got two cheaper ones in 8-5 earlier in the year. They were two-pound blue grouse and worked out to $42.25 a pound.

spreerider
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
its probably farmed grouse, wild meat is hard to get approved for market sale.

bogtrotter
01-12-2010, 11:38 PM
As far as I know there is no such thing as farmed grouse. There is farmed pheasant, quail and partridge but grouse don't take to farm life. I'll bet the birds you saw were Hungarian or red partridge from the Valley.

Gateholio
01-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I sell unplucked, ungutted ducks for $20 each.

If they want me to pluck and gut them it goes up to $40

Never heard of farmed grouse either. Pheasant, partridge, quail..yes.

Evolution
01-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Thats right up there with the $2800 a piece salmon I caught last year.lol

I drove to 7-11 and back after moose and deer this year and came back with one grouse.

I haven't fully calculated my gas expenses, never mind food and time off work, but roughly figuring six tanks of gas, in fuel alone my 1.25 pound ruffed grouse grouse cost me $264.00 a pound.

I got two cheaper ones in 8-5 earlier in the year. They were two-pound blue grouse and worked out to $42.25 a pound.

riflebuilder
01-16-2010, 10:54 PM
There used to be a guy near Medicine Hat AB that raised ruff grouse. I don't know what kind of sucess he had.

Everett
01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Curios is the selling of wild birds or big game legal in BC I know back in NS I sold rabbits I had snaired. But for some reason I thought the sale of wild meat in BC was illegal.

3kills
01-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I sell unplucked, ungutted ducks for $20 each.

If they want me to pluck and gut them it goes up to $40

Never heard of farmed grouse either. Pheasant, partridge, quail..yes.

there is a guy in merritt here who use to have them but then again they werent really farmed he brought them in and let them go on his property and no one was allowed to hunted them..pretty sure they were sharptails

goatdancer
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Curios is the selling of wild birds or big game legal in BC I know back in NS I sold rabbits I had snaired. But for some reason I thought the sale of wild meat in BC was illegal.

Page 14 of the regs:
5. it's unlawful to traffic in live wildlife, wildlife meat or offer to doso except as authorized by permit.

Everett
01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Page 14 of the regs:
5. it's unlawful to traffic in live wildlife, wildlife meat or offer to doso except as authorized by permit.

Thanks thats what I thought

pnbrock
01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
$10 lb is a deal compared to the $56 lb i paid for my rut buck!