PDA

View Full Version : Stupid newbie question

lapadat
01-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I've been shooting a PSE beast for a couple of years (on and off again type of shooting) and have not replaced the cables or string. I always wax everything and it is in good condition except some minor wearing of the string at the top of the cams. My bow has probably seen 2000 or so arrows

My question is: How often should i replace cables/strings?

Thanks

matt

Bow Walker
01-29-2006, 06:17 PM
I have been told that it is a good idea to replace your string every 18 months or so if you shoot a moderate amount of arrows. Wear, stretch, and abrasions are all factors that contribute to eventual failure.

Cables fall into the same category.

Fred
01-29-2006, 09:51 PM
I don't consider that question stupid. I picked up a Mathews Feathermax last summer and only shot off a few arrows when I noticed the peepsite wandering around in a circle. Pretty quick I also noticed some fraying near the string guide. I didn't shoot it but didn't replace the string right away either. I ordered a new string and cable as well as a new guide. I really wanted to practice so I took it to Specialty to see about a new string(already had a new guide courtesy of an online friend in Co). Mike almost s*it a brick when he saw how bad the string was. Just sitting in the case it could have blown apart.
So, I don't find your question at all stupid! :wink: Fred

BC4Bowhunter
01-29-2006, 10:37 PM
To be safe you should change your string and cable once a year if you shoot a lot. I wouldn't go more than two years on a set of strings and cables if you are an occasional shooter.

Kirby
01-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Not a stupid question at all. I like to replace mine every 12-14 months depending on how many arrows I am shooting. I might be longer time, or less. I do like to keep a nice back up- already streched string, incase a broadhead cuts some stands etc. I'd suggest changing them out.

Kirby

greybark
01-29-2006, 10:58 PM
:wink: Hey lapadat , I change strings once a year and use the one I took off as my back-up (leave nock set and silencers on).

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Walksalot
01-29-2006, 11:57 PM
When I make a string I serve the string right through the cam and the string lasts longer. Depending how many strands your string is determins if it will stay in the groove of the cam after being served.

PGKris
02-01-2006, 12:18 PM
If it looks bad, replace it. I shoot a lot and I usually replace string and cables every 18 months-ish