PDA

View Full Version : spring bears and the bow?

mcrae
01-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Hello Fella's

Anybody going to try for bear this spring with your bow? I was thinking of giving it a go this spring but not sure if I am ready yet. I have taken many bears with a rifle but I am not sure about my 50lbs Martin Hunter just yet. For all you recurve guys out there have I got enough bow for a black bear? I normally use a .338 Win Mag with 225 grain Accubonds so.................. ya I don't want to end up a little bear turd:lol:

Thunderstix
01-29-2006, 11:03 AM
That is definitely enough bow...if you want enough for sure, you better start pulling that Hatfield today! :biggrin:

Onesock
01-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Lots of bow!! Use the right broadheads though. Good luck.

mcrae
01-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Hey Thunderstix

I sold the Hatfield to a fella in Alberta so it ended up in a good home. I am pretty happy with my Hunter but you get all the credit for getting me interested in archery again!

Jason

Rob
01-29-2006, 12:49 PM
My wife bought me a compound for my B day (Sept) and im hoping to be ready for spring bear. Although Im sure Ill probably have someone wiith a rifle with me:lol: .

bsa30-06
01-29-2006, 12:53 PM
hey dewey, what are the details on your new compound.Brand , sites rests ect.?I'll be buying a compound in march and always like to hear what other people have to say, about their equipment.

Rob
01-29-2006, 02:03 PM
We ordered it through Canadian Tire(Out of that little hunting booklet they have) It was only 299 and I had a friend help me with the rest of the stuff I needed, Arrows broadheads,sights,rest etc. All together it cost about 450. Not sure the name of the sights/rest their is no name on them. I have it set at 58lbs which for starting out seems to be enough.Ill be joining the local archers club so I can learn more. So far though its a lot of fun:lol:

Kirby
01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I'll be chasing spring bruins with my bow again. Never actually bear hunted with a rifle.:D

Kirby

bsa30-06
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
dewey, i've been taking lessons at pro-am archrey( located in new west) i have class tonite. Tonites class covers bow hunting so i'm looking forward to this one.If you can find a place that offers lessons i would suggest giving it a try i've learned alot, and its been alot of fun.

greybark
01-29-2006, 02:31 PM
8-) Hey Mcrar555, I agree with onesock . You have lots of bow to do the job , It is important (but not necessary)to use cut on impact broadheads . There are several such broadheads on the market.
:D Good luck on your bruins !!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab ON --

rock
01-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Your bow will do the job, and its great getting started in this type of hunting just practice most animals I shoot with a bow are 20 to 40 feet away I had them as close as 5 feet away. I purchased a bow when I was a kid and taught myself shooting in my backyard always enjoyable past time at least the wife knows where I am if she can't find me, I'm in the back shooting my bow.

Onesock
01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
bsa30-06- Thats great that you are taking lessons. Only one evening on bowhunting will barely scratch the surface though. See if you can find an organization that offers the International Bowhunter Education program. This is a 2 day course that covers most things to do with bowhunting ie:equipment,shot placement, ethics etc. The Traditional Bowhunters of BC will be offering a course in Nanaimo on March the 5th, 6th. The cost is $40.00 and you get a great text book. If you are interested someone from here may be able to put you up for the nite. Also the instructor is from the lower mainland and there could be a break in transportation also. Contact Denny at 250 722-2613.

bsa30-06
01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Onesock, i agree one class is definitley not enough but its a start, i basically took these classes to learn proper shooting form and get a little experience before deciding on a bow.I have learned alot and got to shoot a couple different bows.I guess they get alot more people taking these classes to either learn to shoot just for recreation or to shoot tourneys.If you have never used a bow before(like me ) you'll get alot of helpful info from these classes.

Onesock
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
You are right 06'.

greybark
01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
:wink: Hey BSA 30-06 , I know the instructers and they are well versed and are good people. It also sounds like they have good student who is doing things in a sequence that will pay off sooner then you think .
:D Best of luck in your archery /bowhunting ventures !!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

bsa30-06
01-29-2006, 11:31 PM
thanxs greybark i've always believed that if your going to do something do it right, and to the best of your ability, if that means you have to take lessons and ask alot of what some people might think are dumb questions then so be it.

Thunderstix
01-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Thunderstix

I sold the Hatfield to a fella in Alberta so it ended up in a good home. I am pretty happy with my Hunter but you get all the credit for getting me interested in archery again!

Jason
Wow! Cool! 8-)

BlacktailStalker
01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I'll be chasing bears this spring for sure ! First tried for bear with the bow last fall (had a thread titled the Nimpkish) and came to within 10 yards of one but it turned out to not be the bear we were stalking! So I let him walk. Pretty nerve racking experience though being that close. I too had a friend with a rifle trained on the bear the whole time.

swamper
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Willyqbc, Tank and myself are planning on going after Yogi's with our bows and trying to get the kills on video. Also going to try video a bear kill with a .50 cal BP. Might even try for one with my recurve, a 1964 Redwing Hunter at 52#.
Good luck one and all.

JohnS
02-16-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm Hoping to get a shot at a Blacky this spring! 70# switchback should do it with a 125grn broadhead..... best of luck everyone...!

huntwriter
02-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Hello Fella's

Anybody going to try for bear this spring with your bow? I was thinking of giving it a go this spring but not sure if I am ready yet. I have taken many bears with a rifle but I am not sure about my 50lbs Martin Hunter just yet. For all you recurve guys out there have I got enough bow for a black bear? I normally use a .338 Win Mag with 225 grain Accubonds so.................. ya I don't want to end up a little bear turd:lol:

More than plenty bow for any critter. Put a good 125gr. cut to the tip broadhead at the business end of the arrow and practice lots of shot placement under different conditions and you are well on your way to kill a bear with that set up. Good luck.