PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Deer home on a plane?

Wild one
11-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I want to go hunt with some friends in Alberta next year and was woundering how hard it is to bring your deer home on a plane?I am thinking of taking west jet

stitch
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I had deer shipped out from Nova Scotia on a plane. I had it butchered and wrapped in nova scotia...packed and sent on the plane.

Elkaddict
11-24-2009, 01:23 PM
It shouldn't pose a problem as long as it's not packed in dry ice. Dry ice is condsidered dangerous goods, and must be declared and packed appropriately.

I have traveled by air with frozen meat ( cut and wrapped in a regular coleman, no ice) in a cooler before. It was no big deal, just be ready to be dinged a few dollars because of the weight. Make sure you tape your cooler shut. Don't want your venison scattered all over the ramp:wink:

MB_Boy
11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
If you wanna save a few dollars you can do what I have done. Wait until the weather drops well below zero...and get your buddies to pack up the meat in a cooler and ship it on a bus. It stays well below freezing in the cargo hold and assuming you can pick it up on the day it arrives in Abby you should be fine.

I have shipped game meat out from MB many times this way.

The Hermit
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I just packed it in two coolers, taped it all tight and took it as extra baggage. Easy no hassle just a few bucks... no pun intended.

Ozone
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Just buy it a seat. Are you trying to change the gene pool:mrgreen:

MB_Boy
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I just packed it in two coolers, taped it all tight and took it as extra baggage. Easy no hassle just a few bucks... no pun intended.

Hermit.....how much "extra baggage" fees was it for 2 coolers? I always used the bus as I assumed it would be fairly pricey?

David Heitsman
11-24-2009, 08:37 PM
In 2007 I brought back a 170" muley via Westjet coming out of Calgary. I had it wedged into one of those Rubbermaid containers with the gray snap lids.

The screener had a good laugh and called his friends over to look at the antler's image on the computer monitor.

I didn't bring any meat and the outfitter brought my cape to me frozen at Christmas.

As long as it's frozen and in a cooler you'll just have to pay the freight. Check their website tho as some airlines
do not allow 'bounty' which would include antlers and meat.

We were all held up in Dawson Creek this fall on the flight back to YVR when a sheep hunter's luggage was screened and he had a few frozen sheep roasts in his duffel. It was taken away as Central Mountain Air doesn't allow it. Sucked to be him.

You can ship meat frozen on Greyhound. I had a ram sent down from Ft. St. John that way. Everything was still nicely frozen. Don't recall the fare.

Wild one
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys

landphil
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
was woundering how hard it is to bring your dear home on a plane?

Time for the long distance internet relationship to turn into something closer to home?:wink:

My only experiance with shipping meat was years ago when my dad shot a buck in the Cariboo, took it to the butcher there, and had them send the meat gayhound to the island. Four days evenings waiting at the depot for the bus to arrive (after hours) to pick it up all because the butcher kept saying he was sending it "today", for four days in a row:twisted:

SAVAGE300
11-26-2009, 01:32 PM
And dont forget to mount the antlers on the nosecone

quackquackbang
11-26-2009, 01:59 PM
i just brought my deer back to nfld with me on air canada never had any problems!!! i already had it all packaged so i just threw it all in a cooler and duck taped the crap out of it and just tell them at the counter they will get you to sign for it just incase it spoils so there not held accountable and put a sticker on the cooler saying game meat and then away it goes on the plane!!:mrgreen: and mine arrived still frozen like a rock after a 10 hour flight!!!!

Wild one
11-26-2009, 01:59 PM
No landphil I lived in Alberta for a few years and my buddies feel bad slaying deer out of a spot I found and never really hunted.

Steeleco
11-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Just this morning on the tube, they told a tale of Air Canada charging $145 to pack "antlers or horns" not to mention $50 for the gun, should you bring it too.What a bunch of Bstards!! And I can say that for sure, I work for them!!!

Everett
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Just this morning on the tube, they told a tale of Air Canada charging $145 to pack "antlers or horns" not to mention $50 for the gun, should you bring it too.What a bunch of Bstards!! And I can say that for sure, I work for them!!!

This is the reason I don't fly Air Canada anymore $50 buck so they can put a tag on my gun than throw it out on the floor in vancouver for any scum bag to pick up. I fly Pacific Coastal in BC now no charge for guns and in Vancouver you come into the south terminal.

EvanG
12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I do it every year and from edmonton to Vancouver and dont even bother with a cooler, I just fill a duffel bag and let the lady at the counter know its meat, that way they will throw it in one of the restraunts freezers if it gets left be hind. I find that from dooor to door maybe 6 hrs it wont thaw since its pretty damn cold in the baggage compartment in November,

Twobucks
12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I just flew from Calgary to Vic with my WT cut in quarters and stuffed in an extra duffel. It wasn't even frozen anymore, so I wrapped it in gamebags, newsprint and then double garbage bagged it to prevent leaks. It brought my bags up to 70lbs each, so Westjet charged me $180 after tax for the extra baggage.

It's still cheap compared to having a butcher do the meat ($200 and up) then having it shipped air parcel express (another $200).

No problems all around - I'd do it that way again in a flash.

deerstocker
01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
just drive its only 12 hrs thats what i do lol