PDA

View Full Version : what's your archery tackle

Nails
03-04-2004, 11:28 AM
What's your archery tackle that you use for hunting? Do you use the same for 3D shoots?
I use pse infinity xlr @#70, 31inch xx78 2317, 5 inch vanes, fingers, pse rs glow sight, nap flipper rest, sta bright peep 1/4" hole, 3 blade 125 gr muzzys.
It has been good to me while hunting and for 3D shoots.
Todd

oldtimer
03-04-2004, 12:39 PM
My set up is the same for 3D or hunting :--High Country carbon force bow. at 64 pounds and 31 1/2 inch draw. cobra sight box (5 pins ) cobra fixed rest and a regular pic-a-peep. aroows are carbon force 300's with
2 & 3/4" staggered fletches. 75 grain field points that I swap out for muzzy's. Seems to work out for me. I am not a speed freak like a lot of the guys up here. Oldtimer

Thunderstix
03-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Hunting and 3D set-up is the same: Champion Titan set at 68#'s, Gold Tip 75/95's, 5" Feathers with LH Helical, Sightmaster Elite 2000, Muzzy Zero Effect, TRU Ball Loopmaster, No-Peep.

willyqbc
03-04-2004, 05:23 PM
My last hunting rig was a Champion Yukon 84#'s shooting carbon force 400's with 100 grain sonorans ( 425grns total). Cobra sight box and prong rest. My current bow which will become my hunting bow as soon as my new toy arrives is a Bowtech Extreme VFT... will be set at 70-75#'s will be using the same arrows except am switching to 100 grain magnus stingers, same sight box but will be using a trophy taker shakey hunter rest. Have used the same rigs for both 3-d and hunting but will now be using my new Bowtech Pro 40 dually for 3-d when it comes in. Will be shooting it at around 50#, 31" draw. Gold tip pro ultralight arrows with 50 grain nibb points ( around 260 grn total), cobra eclipse micro adjust sight, cavalier avalanche drop-away rest, 4" vibracheck stabalizer. I use a Scott littlebitty goose release for all my shooting.
Wifes hunting/3-d rig.... bowtech Extreme VFT 48#'s 29.5" draw, Gold tip 3555's with 85 grn steelforce broadheads. Copper john sight, cavalier avalanche drop-away. Will be getting her a new target bow as soon as funds allow, most likely a Hoyt Ultratech, Martin Phantom II, or another bowtech depending on how she likes my dually.

Chris

QnsCowboy
03-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Browning Rampage Split Limb, set at 70#, Archer's Choice 3 set pin, (Changed from Browning Lightning Site), With regular tube set peep, Quick tune 2000 rest, same arrows for 3D and Hunting which are XX78 Super Slam 2413, with either 125 gr field points or 125 grain Muzzies, Cobra release...Do well enough Hunting and reall shitty at 3D shoots...Go figure, can't make soup out of foam targets... :lol: :lol:

Craig

03-05-2004, 09:43 PM
:lol: Same for 3-D and hunting , %*lb@ 28" Recurve and wood arrows with 125gr broadheads.

REMEMBER;--Keep Your Fingertab On--

willyqbc
03-05-2004, 10:10 PM
WELCOME GREYBARK!!! we need all the arrow flingers we can get here!!

Chris

swamper
03-06-2004, 10:36 AM
I use the same set up for both 3-D and hunting. I shoot an AR34 set at 70# with 30" draw. I have a Cavelier dropaway rest with a set of Champion pin sites. My arrows are Carbon force 300's with both 100 grain field points and Sonorans. As this will be my first year with the new bow I am quite excited. I have previoulsly taken 3 deer and a black bear with my old Hoyt using the same arrow setup.
Chris H

bochunk2000
03-06-2004, 11:37 AM
I also use the same set up for hunting and 3-D. I have a Mathews Ultra-light bow set at 64# and 29.5" with a 2" overdraw. I shoot easton 2114 with 4" helical fletch and 125gr 3-blade muzzy's for hunting and 2216 with the same fletch and 125gr field points for 3-D. I have a serveless peep and a quicktune rest, with a PSE sight(4-pin). I shoot with a Bracklyn release.

Cdn-Redneck
03-07-2004, 10:13 AM
I too have the same setup for both
2003 Hoyt Ultratec 68 lbs
Copper John deadnuts pro III
GKF TKO rest
Doinker 7" D2 multirod
Fletchunter release
Goldtip Xt7595

Hunting add
Alpine softlock quiver
slick trick broadheads

willyqbc
03-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Redneck.... how are you liking those Slick trick broadheads? I made the switch to fixed blade for this year but went with Magnus Stingers over the Slick tricks as I couldn't find too much info on the slick tricks. How do they fly? Do they group with your feild points? And how durable are they in your experience?

Thanks for any feedback!
Chris

PS...welcome to the site!

Nails
03-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Welcome Greybark to the site. It's good to have your knowlege re traditional bows.
Todd

Nails
03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
I see some of you guys are using drop-away rests. Do they work as advertised or is the prong style (tm hunter) just as good. If you were to get drop-away what would be your choice. There are so many out there now. :? Does arrow choice carbon/aluminum make a difference while using a drop-away.
Thanks Todd :wink:

willyqbc
03-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Nails, In my opinion the drop aways are far superior to the regular prong style rests for a couple reasons.

1. They are much more forgiving of form flaws as the arrow is not being guided by the rest after the first couple inches, so if you torque a little it will not show much effect with the drop away.

2. As fletch clearance is not an issue with a properly set-up drop away you can go to large fletches with a VERY aggressive helical to better stabalize your broadheads. You could even go to a 4 fletch helical set up if you wanted. With a prong rest and aggressive helical it can be pretty much impossible to eliminate fletch contact.

Only one I have used so far is the Cavalier Avalanche....was easy to set up and has been dependable so far on both mine and my wifes bows. I have a Trophy Taker Shaky hunter coming that will go on my hunting rig, and have heard nothing but good things about it, so we will see. Another drop-away that a lot of guys in our club are using with great results is the NAP Quicktune 4000, haven't heard any complaints about this rest either.
Again this is just my opinion but everyone I know that went to a drop-away have said they wouldn't ever go back to a conventional rest. Now all that being said, I do not know first hand how effective they are for a finger shooter like yourself....I have never seen a finger shooter at any shoot using one....gotta think there must be a reason for that.

Chris

Nails
03-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Willy thanks, I have heard that drop aways are the new wave for rests. I could be possibly getting a new rig. If I do I may completly change to using a release. I have read about NAP and trophy taker being popular models. Sometimes the stickbows make more sense it's not as complicated. I already got my finger tab, I even made it too. :D :D
thanks again for the info
Todd

Archive
03-08-2004, 02:57 AM
I was afraid to post for all the heat I'm about to receive.

Old Jennings forked lightning 55lb
2117 GGIIXX
some spring loaded sheetmetal rest (POS) been thru 4 so far
I have a release (hate it)
3 blade NAP mechanicals 125grain / fixed blade with twin mechanical backups
Day-glo pins

I practise on vaccum cleaners and beer boxes 10 min before we go hunting. Only other 3-D time is gophers in summer.

Cdn-Redneck
03-08-2004, 04:58 AM
The Slicktricks work great, if your bow is well tuned they will fly with the field points. I haven't shot anything with them, but hear they do major damage as they pass thru.

Nails
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
You see Archive nobody has stained you for your rig, However your choice of targets.

I practise on vaccum cleaners and beer boxes 10 min before we go hunting. Only other 3-D time is gophers in summer.Is there a story behind using vacums as targets, beer boxes I can see even gophers. Using vacums you just opened up yourself to .............. whats a better target an upright or canister type. :lol: :lol:
It's good to have you with us with your good sense of humor. :D
Todd

Archive
03-10-2004, 01:24 AM
It all started with tequila.

All the carpet got ripped out of a friends cabin and replaced with commercial vinyl tile. The vaccum had been "saved" because it was "useful" even tho there was no carpet anywhere anymore.
2 years later: Well the thing made noise but wouldn't suck grouse feathers up off the floor so it got thrown off the front porch. My friend is so brave he runs out the door and stomps on it only to have it roll out from under him and lay him out flat on his back. He got his bow and let 1 fly but the arrow bent and glanced off. So having kicked his ass it went back into the cabin to be loathed for another day.
4-5 months later: The hated Electro-Lux is thrown about the yard, swung into trees, rode over by motorcycles and still it makes a grinding noise.
Round 2 - Vaccum VS Jamie. This ones a fixed fight. Struggling with the shame from his previous defeat, the vaccum is set ontop a 5 gallon oil pail. It took 2 fixed 100gr broadheads to the motor and 1 to the filter bag but the light still came on when plugged in. It had to be "purified" by fire that evening.
And that's how Electro-Lux got to be a good sport.

Cdn-Redneck
03-10-2004, 05:14 AM
The Slicktricks fly great!! I haven't shot them much but they seem quite tuff. I can post some links to reviews for you.
http://www.bowzone.ca/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req =showcontent&id=34

http://www.broadheadtests.com/mechvsfixed.html

http://www.slicktrick.net/

Nails
03-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Those slicktricks look like they would finish off that old electro-lux. Good looking broadhead.
Archive your reply brought a smile to my face. If you can get the video camera out when Jamie is taking on the Electro-Lux again. That would be worth seeing on the net. If you do don't forget the redneck apparel and commentator.
Todd

Archive
03-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Its all on video, somewhere. Remeber this spans a couple years so finding all the parts and piecing them together . . . :?:
The commentary was quite colorful as I remember. Very descriptive tho.

Nails
03-12-2004, 04:09 PM
The viewer rating will not be "F" family then. You guys can watch them with good memories and laughs any how. I keep thinking that it is pretty funny using the electro-lux as a target. :lol: :lol:
Todd

Kirby
03-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Alpine Teton light T-2 Hatchet cams,
->Easton 2413 XX78
->Zebra string
->Golden 3-D rest
->Thunderhead 100gr

Craig

Rackmaster
03-17-2004, 11:08 PM
I have a 2003 Hoyt Razortec 70Lbs 28.5 draw TM hunter rest ,TrophyRidge flatliner sight,doinker stabilizer,easton xx75 2315 with Wasp hammers sst 100grain.
For 3D I used a 2002 Hoyt MT sport 60Lbs 28.5 draw,TM hunter rest, Trophy ridge matrix sight,hoyt stabilizer and easton epic 400.
Seems to work for me. :mrgreen:

Nails
03-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Welcome Rackmaster to the site. I have question re your trophy ridge sight is it 3 or 5 pins and how do you find using vertical pins? I am thinking of switching to using a trophy ridge. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks
Todd

Rackmaster
03-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Thank you Nails

I find the vertical pins took a bit of getting use to at first,but after that I can't see myself ever going back to horizontal pins again.I found for hunting and 3D I have a clearer view of the target. Both sights I have are the five pin models with .029 pins and they are bright.I tried the.019 pins and found them to be dim especially in low light.They are great sight with excellent customer service too. Hope this helps you :D

Rackmaster

Nails
03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks Rackmaster for your answer. I was at a 3d shoot this past w/e, this fela had a matrix sight. He was not as happy with it as i thought he would be. He did not give me his reasons. But like you said it takes time to get use too, he also said the same thing. I t is a sight I will be looking at in the future.
Todd

sealevel
07-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I have a 2003 razartec trophy taker rest spothog sight xring stab . I shoot 3d and hunt with same bow goldtip pro`s for 3d xt for hunting. broadheads 100 gr montecs or muzzys. Havent seen you for a while rackmaster.

Nails
07-11-2005, 11:13 PM
I purchased the Trophy Ridge Matrix guide series sight. The vertical pins are great for visabilty can't wait to line up that pin on a bucks sweet spot.

I also have new bow a Mathews Ovation,with NAP dropaway 2000rg rest.
Broadheads muzzys 125gr.

anyone use Eastons st axis arrows?

Fred
07-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Man, this is an old topic!! Almost as old as my Mathews Feathermax, 60lbs, 30in Draw, Copper John DN 5 pin sight, WB rest(new style), LimbSavers and Trufire release. Using Eastons right now(don't recall the numbers) and Muzzy 125 gr tips. Thus far all I have done is fart around in the back yard with the Block Target and Ex's 3D deer. We are set up to work from 5 yds to 40 and can go up on the back deck for those simulated tree stand shots.;-) Fred

Onesock
07-12-2005, 05:20 PM
60 lb @ 28 inch Chekmate Longbow with wood arrows and 125 gr broadheads.

Bow Walker
07-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I check this site every night but this is the first time I have seen this posting. How have I missed all this? Especially 4 pages.:redface:

It just makes sense to me to use the same - or at least a very similar - setup for hunting and also for 3D.:-?

Mine is a Martin Phantom w/ magnum limbs set at 56 lbs just now (I am still recovering from a rotator cuff injury) with a Trophy Ridge 3-pin sight, an X-ring stabilizer, a Safari Twister drop away rest, and a Fletch Hunter Shorty release.

PSE carbon force 300's at 29.75 inches, with 100 grain field points and either Slick Trick 100's or Razorcap 100's for a hunting broadhead.

Nails - I have used a Trophy Ridge sight for the past 5 years. I love the vertical pin alignment. My only complaint thus far is that the fiber optic threads seem to be very delicate and are in the habit of snapping off at the pin. This has happened to me with the past three sets of replacement fiber optic threads. I am getting fed up with the fiber optic thread problem and am in the process of deciding which new sight is going to be my replacement one. If I can I will stay with the vertical pin alignment as it "does it" for me.

wilyqbc - asked about the Slick Trick broadheads. They are, in a word, DEADLY. When the time is taken to adjust and tune, they fly true. Sharp as a well-ironed crease right out of the box. Along with them are the Razorcap broadheads. Tough, durable, sharp (and easily re-sharpenable) and also deadly. Check them out at http://www.razorcaps.com

Good luck to everyone this season. I look forward to some stories and pics.
Dan.

Islander
07-12-2005, 06:49 PM
55lb @28 in Browning recurve, douglas fir arrows with 125 grain Wensel Woodsman broadheads

Thunderstix
07-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Nails: I am still surprised that you are using a prong rest for finger shooting. You are probably a good shot seeing as you would not still be shooting if you were not, but I will bet you would shoot even better with a rest designed for fingers...no?

Nails
07-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi ya Thunder, I know want you mean about the right rest. I have been using the center flipper rest up until now. I have used TM hunter style before then rtn to the flipper. I am game to give the new drop away a chance. Who knows with all the tech advances on the new bows, but releasing with fingers is still the same.
If everything goes to pot maybe I will unload it and pick up a stick bow and start from scratch, well actually I would be getting deeper into trouble. I will let you know how it goes, take care and have good season.

Rackmaster
07-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey Sea level I just can't find much time to do any fun stuff. I'm lucky if I get to shoot my bow once a week!

Thunderstix
07-13-2005, 06:14 AM
If everything goes to pot maybe I will unload it and pick up a stick bow and start from scratch, well actually I would be getting deeper into trouble. I will let you know how it goes, take care and have good season.

Now your talking with some sense:grin: . It's funny, when I switched from compound to recurve my friends all asked why I would go "backwards"? Then I was reading an article and it indicated that the natural progression in archery is to go from compound to traditional. At first glance it seems like it should be the other way.

Eagle1
07-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Hoyt Supertec 60# 30" draw 28" Blackhawk camo vapors, 295 fps/80 + KE, copperjohn pro sight, hoyt dropaway { NAP } hoyt Quiver, slick stab, rhino release, Steelhead 100 expandable { how far thru do you need } new Rocky Mountain Ironhead 100, both fly the same as my field points all the way out to 60 meteres.
3-D same bow, Blackhawk vapor 23 speed arrows, techlite 3-D w/Viper scope 6 power, 24" super stixs w/ v-bars, Carter one shot release, 325 fps.

J_T
07-21-2005, 06:52 AM
64# ChekMate Take Down Hunter Recurve. Pine shaft arrows, 145 gr Journeyman broadheads.

3D riggin is basically the same as the hunting riggin. Accept for the broadheads.

JT

greybark
07-21-2005, 07:59 PM
:D Hey Nails , I would suggest you pick up a good used recurve continue to use your compound and dink around with it . When you feel comfortable with it then switch over.
I have some good contacts and can get you a custom recurve for a very good price. If you are interested give me an e-mail or call 604 824 1493.
I used a compound for 16 years or so and had great fun with it in every reguard and was very successfull 3-d and hunting venues . The natural step up to Traditional was a way to increase Simiplicity , Enjoyment and Self Satisfaction and after 10 years or so continues to be a great and enjoyable challenge .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Walksalot
07-30-2005, 06:10 AM
Browning Midas Hunter with energy cams, Trophy Ridge Sight, TM hunter rest. Beaman 400 graphite arrows, 125 gr Thunderheads.

Thunderstix
07-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Jeffery Archery One-Piece Classic 60" Hunter Recurve in 60#.

Nails
10-03-2005, 10:13 PM
I am all set up ready to go with the new setup. Mathews Ovation 70#,trophy ridge matrix sight, limb savers s coil stabilizer. OH yes NAP centerflipper rest. I feel so satisified :roll: I wasted some bucks trying the NAP 2000RG rest (FOR SALE). It is shooting great but the shooter sucks at times, paper tuned with perfect holes. All ready for the ELP on Quadra.

Bow Walker
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Update - Same bow, now at 60# with a Copper John Dead Nuts 3pin sight (soon to be a 4pin). Gotta love those Martin products! ;-)

Nails
10-05-2005, 09:08 PM
BowWalker it is good to see your shoulder is improving. Good luck this season.

PGKris
10-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Martin Jaguar set at 55# and a 28" draw length. I shoot PSE carbon express dominators with Spitfire 125 mechanicals for hunting and Easton 2315 aluminums for indoors. See ya'll in 100 Mile for the winter games! :D 8-)

brotherjack
10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Horton SteelForce 150lb
Horton CarbonStrike MX's w/ vanes.
Soon-to-be decided 100 grain broadhead (I was shooting 125 grain muzzy 4blade's, but I found that stepping back to 100 grains extended my point-blank range from 12 to 20 yards, and I'm entertaining Snyper's or Tekan II's instead of fixed blades).

Bow Walker
10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
bj,

Have a hard look at the 100 grain Razorcap broadheads. They are phenomenal.
The website is http://www.razorcaps.com (http://www.razorcaps.com/)

If there isn't a dealer or a shop that sells them in your area, I know that Peter's Sports in Courtenay will ship them to you in a very timely manner. Email them at
mailto: mailto: order@tyeemarine.com (order@tyeemarine.com) Direct your enquiry to a guy named Rick Phipps. He is the one that helped me and I know that they have both the 100 and the 125 grain head.

In my humble opinion, they are THE head to be on any shaft. :!:

Jetboater
10-21-2005, 12:12 PM
AR34 ram and a half 28/70 quick tune 4000, extreme 700 sight,limbsaver everything, with pse competition pro arrows and montec G5 broadheads.
Its a smooth shooting setup but its hard to beat my old razor tec that I used to have.