PDA

View Full Version : 20 days until Canada goose opens again

MichelD
01-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Less than three weeks until we can unlock the 12 bores again.

What is your experience with the February Canada goose hunting?

Any tips or strategies goose hunting vets would care to share?

How do we even start to figure out how to hunt them?

Figure out where they are landing and feeding a few days before it re-opens them go ask permission to hunt there, or figure out the flight path and hope they're low enough to ambush?

Dano
01-22-2006, 09:33 PM
If the weather warms the birds start to pair up. The young birds that won't be mating are pushed away from the mature birds and they will decoy redily.
I've had success pass shooting on flight paths and even parking my a$$ out onthe Pitt River foreshore for the first couple hours of the day (sometimes the geese just cruise along the shoreline).
Last year the Pitt Marsh was good but I thnk it was because of the low water conditions. Like you suggested, I went out late in the evening and listened to see where the birds were putting down. Fields are always good if you find birds in them and get permission for the next day. Only problem is it's usually just for the one shoot as the birds won't come back the next day...
I always put a few decoys out but usually they do a fly bye and I take them as they pass.
Dano
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/goose41.jpg

CanAm500
01-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Nice goose.

My neighbour told me you have to go to the post office to buy one, you cant get the tags at stores...this true?

ex bc guide
01-22-2006, 10:22 PM
nope, you need to go to the post office for the migratory bird stamp
Mike

Dano
01-22-2006, 11:15 PM
nope, you need to go to the post office for the migratory bird stamp
Mike

And in addition to the basic hunting licence and Migratory bird permit, you need a Fraser Valley Special Area tax grab licence. It's $10, and you need proof you have One Million dollars liability insurance to get it.
Dano

NEEHAMA
01-23-2006, 12:22 PM
the late goose season is the most productive for me. i'm also counting down the days!!

CanAm500
01-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Alright, thanks.