PDA

View Full Version : Big Tires?

CanuckShooter
01-22-2006, 10:04 AM
I have a polaris sportsman 500 ho, and would like to upgrade the tires/wheels. One of my buddies put 27" mudbugs on his 600 grizzley and it was amazing the difference it made to his machine...if anyone has experience with upgrading the polaris...I sure could use some advice !! tire size/power loss? spacers? wheel well extenders? component wear?

My machine is used for hunting 99% of the time so I'm not too concerned with a loss of speed...it already goes too fast..:biggrin:

ex bc guide
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
The man to see for this would be NEEHAMA
Mike

Poguebilt
01-22-2006, 12:02 PM
NEEHAMA...

His name is Eric.... he works for International Tire Consultants

20351 Duncan Way
Langley, BC V3A 7N3, Canada

(604) 514-9779

Give him a call.... Tell him Jason Pogue that used to work Triwest tire recomended him...

Smartest tire guy ive met.....

good luck

ex bc guide
01-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Poguebilt, Is that not what I just did ,recomend him??
Mike

Poguebilt
01-22-2006, 12:12 PM
yes...

I just gave him the # and address....

I'm sure Eric won't mind the extra referals...

ex bc guide
01-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I agree with you 100% referals are always good and yes he is one heck of a guy to bs with I am getting a set of tires from him at the end on the month
Mike

ruger#1
01-22-2006, 01:22 PM
you can also check out royal distributing, they have all the bigfoot kits for all quads, they have every thing from motor parts to riding gear.

Husky7mm
01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Most people that i talk to loose power and fuel economy not mention faster wear on parts. I would how ever recomend up gradeing the quaility of the rubber, ie 6ply.I left my rims steel, they are bent and have lots of dents but they always hold air. I couldn't imagine a 500 cc quad to need more capablity than stock. I sometimes scare the life out of my self with a 400 kodiak. Not so much with speed but wear the thing goes.My 2 cents.

NEEHAMA
01-23-2006, 12:53 PM
wow thanks guy's. i did move to my new location however.
i'm no longer on duncan way.(we are still in langley, and do ship all over western canada) . plug plug sorry marc.

pm me if you want some info.

Schmaus
01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
I definately suggest getting new tires. Even if you stay with your stock dimensions and just go with mud-lites or mud bugs you will gain a ton of performance in the mud and snow. With the same size of tires you will still notice a bit of power and speed loss because the new tires will be heavier than stock. Mud-lites try and counter this hence the name (I think that they are the lightest mud tires) I have a lot of friends that have put either of these tires on 400's and 500's with awesome results. Even if you put the bigger than stock tires on your bike you could easily buy one of the many clutch kits made for larger aggressive tires.

my 2 cents

CanuckShooter
01-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, just going to wait until I can come up with the $$$ and then call Eric for my new tires etc. I am chatting with a couple of guys on some atv forums for details on lift kits etc just to educate myself of what modifications are required to my machine to make the bigger wheels function properly.

youngfellla
02-07-2006, 03:11 AM
I upgraded to 27x11'' ITP 589's and Aluminum wheels on my 05 660 Grizzly. Yamaha recommended a performance clutch kit to go with the bigger tires, so I Installed an EPI Clutch Kit. I have 1400 K on it and haven't broken anything. Still has gobs of power. These tires and wheels are lighter than the stock tires and steel rims.