PDA

View Full Version : Vedder

Iron-Head
01-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Well my fishing buddy have finally decided to take a trip down to the vedder,going to take the 6:20AM ferry from the sunshine coast on tuesday and will come back on wednesday in the evening.Does anybody have any info on the river,is it pritty blown out? or has this little break in the weather made it reesonable.? any info would be great,other wise i will tell how it goes when i get back.:-D

greybark
01-21-2006, 09:57 PM
:smile: Hey Symon , The Vedder has perfect colour to it but a little high . Lots of fish around but can be spotty.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Iron-Head
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks i cant wait...What are they hittin on?

greybark
01-21-2006, 10:22 PM
:wink: Hey Symon , Basics like roe and wool , single egg and wool , gooy bob and wool if you don`t have roe , Bottom bounce a plastic worm (pink) to give it some action and lastly a colorado spoon .
Good luck .

ex bc guide
01-22-2006, 12:48 AM
clear but real high and fast
Mike

ruger#1
01-22-2006, 01:44 AM
i drive across the vedder bridge almost every day , if you need an update im glad to help.

Iron-Head
01-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Hey everyone... I just got back from the vedder and it was great didnt catch to much but the water condition were just beautiful..... The three of us John,Harold and I fished first morning at around 10:30 and right away hooked into a beauty about 14 15lbs wild so we released it.After that it got kinda dead untill about 4:30 when we went to the bottom of Tamihi where i hooked into a very nice little guy about 7-8 lbs but it broke me off right at my feet... Next we went to the boulder pool and fished there for a bit where i hooked into another but as he made his way for the rapids he straightened out my 2ot gamakatsu:eek: ......Next day we were at lickman(spelling?) at first light and decided instead to go to peach,when we got there I right away found a nice piece of water to fish and hooked into one right where the 2 channels join.But because of the dyke and such high water i wasnt able to land him.:-( Then around noon we started fishing down lower where my buddy John hooked into 2,one after another.Fished Peach until noon and then went down to lickman?.

When we got there,there was another guy on the other side fightin a fish so we went further downstream,when we found some nice water to fish Harold was onto a very nice cromer that went so fast towards the other side he beached himself on the shallow gravel bar:lol: so as he flopped baqck into the water his leader got rubbed down and the fish broke off.Fished the rest of the afternoon without much happening besides one of the guys downstream hooking into one,,,,, All in all it was a great trip and i cant wait to get up there again on tuesday:biggrin: .

For whom it may concern the river was quite high but very clear not to many fish around but the ones that are there seemed to be quite aggresive.
Symon

Fred
01-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Nicely done Symon. You know though,these other guys are going to ask where the pictures are, even if they are only of your smiling face! Fred

Elkhound
01-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey Symon, where are the pics.......No stories without them. It's the rules........I don't make this stuff up

Iron-Head
01-27-2006, 11:04 AM
I know I know,But i didnt bring my digital camera or my regualr camera......:-( I am going on tuesday for 3 days and i will bring a camera that trip. So sorry guys next time:D .
Later,Symon.

ruger#1
01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
lower section of the vedder today was low and clear,hope it snows and no rain. Mark

Iron-Head
02-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Well i have been back for a day now but i thought it was time for me to let whoever is interested know abbout how my last trip went.

After catching the first ferry and driving to the vedder.We were on the river by about 11:00 and went right to lickman,where we proceeded to catch nothing and see nothing get caught.After fishing there for about 2 hrs we went up to bottom end of bill's run and fished until dark only hooking 1 that we didnt even get a chance to see.
So next day we are up at 5 and make breakfast and all,then go down to lickman again....But this time it was sooooooo windy that when we went to take a look at the river on the dyke we almost got blown off.So after deciding it was much to windy we went up to Ranger run and we were the first ones there..:D,We fished for about 45 minutes withought any luck.But then it happend i cast to the far side and start my drift when all of a sudden my float just slams down.....and i think to my self oh yes finally a fish,But my wonderful steelhead just turns out to be a white fish with eyes bigger than his stomach.So finally more people show up and it gets crowded so we start thinking about leaving when once again i cast to the far side and WHAM my float goes down,so i tighten up to it and this thing just goes nuts right up to the head water than bringes about half of its body out of the water and powers down to the tailout.After fightin her for about 15 minutes i land her down in the tail out. Man what a nice fish!! After contemplating wether or not to keep her i finally lean towards the keeping part,so a quik BONK and she was mine.About 20 minutes later my buddy hooks a wild one while i was putting my gear into the car,so a quick release and we were off for the day.

Next morning same thing wake up at 5 blah blah blah.We decided to go to ranger again since it was so productive the previos day,went there and because i had killed a fish there yesterday everysingle guy from the lower reaches decided to come there too:-(,we werent there long.After going to the hotel and getting our stuff out by checkout we went down to lickman again to try our luck.When we arrived the there was a guy playin a good fish down at the fast water,so we fished our way down to the tail out and once again nothing.After hook hunting my way up to the head waters i noticed 2 guys fishing right where i wanted to be in that fast water so i waited untill they moved up a bit and i moved in.I throw my line in and started walking down a few feet when i slipped on a rock when i got my balance back i looked for my float and it was nowhere to be seen:biggrin: ,before i could even come up to it my line started ripping across to the other side setting the hook for me.Once i played her out i brought her into the shallow water and landed her,Because the other 2 guys i was fishing with hadnt gotten anything i decided to keep the second one as well becasue then i could share more.
So we brought the 2 fish to freds custom tackle and got them weighed and my first one went 10.5 lbs dressed with 2lbs of roe! and my second went 10lbs undressed.All in all every one is happy and it was a great trip.
DAMN them things are tasty:tongue: