PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry your gear in?

youngbuck
01-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is have a great new years so far.
I working on my sleep deprevation with a new baby:shock: .

Anyways,

I was just wondering what all of you use to carry your gear while day hunting?

I typically still or groundstand hunt and I've been using a cargo bag style backpack. I does hold alot of stuff but is very uncomfortable. I also find that when I have it setup somewhat comfortable for walking that I becomes hard to shoot off hand. I feel like I can't get the butt of the gun in a good place on my shoulder and the eye relief is off.

I'm not really looking for something big like a extenal frame pack but something medium sized.

I guess a good soundless material would not hurt.

All recommendations are welcome

YB

REDGREEN
01-20-2006, 02:27 PM
I use my 4x4. Then when I get to where I'm going, It's hanging off of my belt.I can't walk far now, so the backpack is a thing of the past.

moose hunter
01-20-2006, 03:28 PM
i use a camo back pack waterproof made by winchester its nice and the straps are really patted so i put the but of my gun on them to shoot takes a bit of recoil out of the whole matter

3kills
01-20-2006, 06:18 PM
i use a camo pack to got it from a the powder keg in merritt water proof as well and quiet as its a fleecy material and the straps are comfortable and nicely padded....

to bad about ur sleep deprivation but i bet its all worth it :D

RiverOtter
01-20-2006, 06:45 PM
I use a fanny pack made by Field Line for all my knick knacks like knives, matches, compass and calls. In addition to that, for longer ventures like a day trip, I use a cheap Wal-mart backpack that is black. It carries my lunch, jacket, warm gloves etc. When I go hunting for the day, I like to still hunt to a good vantage point and sit and wait, then move to another vantage and do the same. So for me on day hunts pack comfort isn't as big of a deal.

RO :)

youngbuck
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I use a fanny pack made by Field Line for all my knick knacks like knives, matches, compass and calls. In addition to that, for longer ventures like a day trip, I use a cheap Wal-mart backpack that is black. It carries my lunch, jacket, warm gloves etc. When I go hunting for the day, I like to still hunt to a good vantage point and sit and wait, then move to another vantage and do the same. So for me on day hunts pack comfort isn't as big of a deal.

My hunts are very much the same but I've jumped deer or tried to sneak up on deer but the damb rifle would not should properly.

The problem is obviously having the pack secure so that it does not feel like it is falling off and yet easy to shoulder the rifle.

Ozone
01-20-2006, 06:57 PM
I got a camo fanny pack from cabelas last summer and hold all I need and more. Its got outter straps to hold a jacket and a water bottle. I dont now how i got along without it for so long. It will hold a 12" subway sub easily.

cowboy-up69
01-20-2006, 06:58 PM
When Im out huntin, I usually have my stuff in a cheap, water proof camo back pack that I got in Calgary for cheap $$$...It does the job, except when I see somethin, and rasie my rifle and am ready to shoot, the strap on my shooting shoulder gets int he way, and kinda messes things up you know... But its a good back pack anyway, no complaints here...
Cliff

elkster
01-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I use a surveyors vest. Lots of pockets for all your gear and a big zipper one in the back for bigger stuff. Its nice cause it distributes the weight across your whole shoulder area, and doesn't get in the way.

Gateholio
01-20-2006, 09:21 PM
I use a backpack from a mountianeering store.

It has thick padded straps, which aids in comfort, but it does get in the way if you have to make aquick shot. However, since most quick shots are relatively close, it's not too bad, if you see something far away, you shoudl have some time to ditcht he pack.

When I go out for the day, I often prepare for if I have to spend the night out, (happened a couple of times before) so I pack a litle havier sometimes.

One good trick when going over rough terrain is to take the upper cross strap/buckle, (which holds the straps in place across your chest) and snap your rifle strap into your right side, and maybe even your binos into the left side. Keeps things from banging around.

FOr longer trips, or if I am going somewhere where I think I may need to pack out a animal, I have my bull pac. Heavy, but comfy.:razz:

Thunderstix
01-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Depends how far from the vehicle I am, but either in my Crooked Horn Trailblazer 2000 or my Bull-Pac (Selway pack).

Fred
01-21-2006, 12:25 AM
I am with BJ,to a degree. I don't walk as well as I used to although I still like it. So, I use my pockets and Ex's Quad!! :biggrin: Fred

CanuckShooter
01-21-2006, 06:58 AM
I use a fanny pack, and wear pants and coats with large pockets.....just trying to find something can take some time....but I always have it with me. The fanny pack gets uncomfortable if I weigh it down too much.

Walksalot
01-21-2006, 07:54 AM
It depends how far back I am going. If I am going to be way back in the bush I am not coming out without bringing a quarter with me so I use a pack board or a large internal frame pack.
Some packs come with thick padded straps. Make sure they do not interfere with you shouldering the rifle. I missed a chance at a rather large buck because the rifle butt slipped off the strap. After the dust settled I was giving it one of these :-( but I am sure the buck was giving it one of those :biggrin: .

RiverOtter
01-21-2006, 09:48 AM
I have yet to find a pack that allowed me to shoulder my rifle properly. I have flipped my right strap off to take shots before and left the pack on with just one shoulder strap. Whenever I have time to set up for a shot, I am usually shuckin' my pack to use as a gun rest.

ivo
01-22-2006, 05:37 PM
I have a Badlands pack thats is quite comfortable. It has contoured back pad and belt for around the waist so when snugged up all of the weight in the pack is distributed between the hips and shoulders. It is quiet, has an internal aluminum frame for rigidity and strength, plenty of pockets for gear and a warranty that covers everything you can throw at it.

Yes, a little on the pricey side for a daypack at $250 but I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for and if not the warranty will cover it.

Johnnybear
01-22-2006, 08:40 PM
I used to use a fleece fanny pack but I just picked up a cool Rocky Gear pack from Peter's in Courtenay. It's just right for my stuff.

scoot
02-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Always hated the idea of not being prepared. Any time I leave the truck, I have my back pack. If I am leaving the truck, or hiking for more than a few hours at a time, the day pack contents go into my rucksack. Simply so if I shoot anything I have the frame to carry out, all leads to the fear of not being prepared.

huntwriter
02-13-2006, 02:06 AM
I carry as little as possible with me, just the bare essentials. Used to carry half of Cabela's inventory with me but now only what I absolutely need. Most times I can carry everything I need in a smal day pack, a fanny pack and the cargo pockets of my camouflage pants. If I go further out I may use a back pack.

Tarp Man
02-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Well, having enjoyed the outdoors solo for a while, I always go prepared to spend the night. This usually means 15-20 lbs of stuff. Food, stove, H20, spare socks, rain gear, first aid kit, and now hunting gear. I used to use a 45L internal frame pack, but now the thought of putting a bloody quarter of meat in an internal frame bag, makes me tear up! SO now I use an external frame pack with a Moose bag on it. 85L total if necessary. I do confess to overkill on the preparedness, but if I ever have to spend the night, I plan to be warm, dry, and have a meal in my belly. If I am with someone, then we split the safety gear and food. (I still carry my own first aid kit and firekit in my pocket). This time of year requires more gear to maintain the safety margin due to the weather (like a change of warm clothes). I prefer to err on the side of caution.
-Tarp Man

brotherjack
02-13-2006, 09:43 AM
I usually just carry a medium sized fanny pack (camo, of course) with the bare essentials: a couple of knives, folding saw, compass, mini rain parka, mini medical kit, toilet paper, matches and a waterproof lighter, cell phone, a couple of granola bars and some jerky, a half-litre of water, and the odd bit of whatever I think I might need/want on any given day (for instance, my nice warm neoprene face mask for days it might get cold/windy). I never saw much point in carying a bunch of stuff with me. My point of view is, that in the field, I really have only two needs I'm trying to cover:

#1 Comfort and safety stuff for myself. Hence the medical kit, the rain pancho, compass, a little food, matches and lighter, cell phone, etc.

#2 Be prepared to field dress any animal I might take, and if necessiary further prepare it for transport so I can get it back to the truck. I've never found anything more than a few sharp knives and a small saw to be required.

Every once in a while, if I'm going to go basically camp out at an area, I have a backpack I'll load up heavier - more water, food, spotting scope, etc. But I don't pack that around all day, that's only for when I'm hiking in and setting up and waiting. But even then, that backpack is pretty small, and very well designed to be comfortable and easy packing (big wide straps, as well as a chest strap to go with the shoulder straps).

Ron.C
03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Badlands 2200. Great pack,very comfortable and quiet weather it is full or almost empty.

zedex
03-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I use a military belt with the pouches that clip on and velcro. Cheap at the surplus store. Pretty comfy too.

gaza211
04-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I found a waist pack in an army surplus store, it came with a heavy clip on waist belt. The pack is rubber lined to keep everything dry. and it is large enough to hold all my supplies and food. There is lots of room on the rest of the belt to attach an ammo pouch, binocular case and knife sheath.

mrdoog
04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I used to carry everything in Safeway bags, but I always had to double bag. The missus was always whining about them hurting her hands, until I cut a 5 inch length out of my neighours garden hose to put slide the bag handles into.
Bought a six pack the other day, dang, those liquor store bags are sure heavy duty.
No more double bagging, but the missus still insists on the piece of hose.
Once you spoil'em. there's no going back.

huntwriter
04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I hate dragging a lot of gear around. If it is more than I can comfortably fit into a samll fanny pack and my cargo pants pockets, then it's way to much stuff.

I used to drag half of Cabela's catalogue around with me and it made hunting a chore and would end in backache.

A set of small knives. A small first aid kit. Compass and GPS. Deer Calls (if approbriate for the time of season). Deer scent. 20' of thin rope. Cell phone. Map witn small note book and pen. smal digi camera. Binos.

That is all I take with me at any given time. Add to that my rifle or bow and a climbing treestand.

Walksalot
04-25-2006, 05:56 AM
I carry enough equipment to spend the night if need be . A couple of space blankets, matches , fire starter, a small flare, some power bars, first aid kit, small saw and othe odds and sods. To go into the woods and not be prepared to deal with a survival situation should it arrize is not the best position to be in.

I have seen first hand the results of not being prepared for a survival situation from my many years in search and rescue. Some of the lucky ones we found alive. A couple we brought out in body bags.

One guy I remember had on cotton coveralls and was soaked to the ass as it was snowing that heavy wet snow. He had no pack, not even matches. At one point he removed his shoe lace to try and make a bow and tried to get a fire going by rotating a stick back and forth. Had he been forced to spend the night it could haver been a mess. He wounded a deer and went after it. It doesn't take but a couple of minutes and you are in a survival situation.

I just realized I don't have a compass or a GPS but I figured they were just a given.

CHilko21
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I've got most of my essentials in a fanny pack, but our hunting truck is full of the larger necessoties....heavy rope, sleeping bags, hatchet, etc. etc. etc...we've still got a few trapper nelson packboards for carrying as well...they're old, but they work fine.