PDA

View Full Version : WTF I missed

mikeinajeep
11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I know, it had to happen sometime. I bought some nice new carbon arrows from wally-world and they are not the same weight as the arrows I bought from the gun shop. Be it lighter or heavier they are 6" higher at 20 yards and more at 35. I have a indoor range at my buddies work when they are closed, it is all setup for 35 yard shots and I cocked and loaded a new arrow and pulled the trigger. Less than a second after that I spent $15 dollars to hear the worst sound ever as the arrow mashed into to a brick wall. The arrow stuck in about 2" which was cool and I would have got a picture but did not have anything to take one. So are the arrows crap or just lighter than the one that excalibor sell with the crossbow? Will using the speed settings on the scope help? I re-zeroed my scope for the new arrows (14 CLICKS DOWN), and tried to turn down the speed setting on the scope but the excalibor arrow still hit 6" low. You guys know everthing so any help will rock!!

Bowzone_Mikey
11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
no question about it ... Arrows are not all built the same ....

hell even if they are the same make and model ...they will fly differantly just from being flecthed in differant machines

you surely dont expect the 220 gr boattail shot from your -06 to hit in the same place as the 160 grain do you???

loki
11-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Ok, so I'm reading here that you have an excalibur crossbow, and are shooting the ultra light shafts from Wal-mart?

There's a little known problem with Excalibur crossbows; they're damn powerful :tongue:. Kidding aside the problem is that if the bolt you are using is too light it'll screw with your bow the same as a dry fire would. I have seen this first hand as a friend of mine tried to save a few dollars with the Wal-mart bolts instead of the heavier Excalibur bolts, and ended up breaking his front limbs after a few shots. I admit that there could have been a pre-exsisting condition with the bow we weren't aware of, however we inspect the equipment before shooting and saw no cracks in the limbs.

How this happens is that the recurve limbs hold an enormous amount of energy, which is released at shot (of course). If the bolt doesn't provide enough resistance against the string at shot it'll eventually blow the limbs like a dry fire. Or at least that's what the techs at excal told us...

On a side note as this was a newly purchased bow my friend got his whole front limbs replaced free of charge under warranty, just paid shipping. That's the quality of customer service of Excalibur.

This is one issue that I wouldn't price shop on, buy the better bolts IMO.

loki
11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Here's the Excal FAQ page (http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/listings.php?category_id=70)

Now some things I remembered that I forgot in the first post are that the recommended bolt weight is 350 grains or more to avoid the simulated dry fire issue.

Another thing that I remembered is that Excaliburs use flat nocks, not the half moons (point 10 in the FAQ). Do not use the half moons as they can direct the string under the bolt, causing a dry fire.

Dry fires are bad, mmmmmkay. :tongue:

mikeinajeep
11-16-2009, 10:07 AM
that is all true, too light is bad. I bought the heavier wal-mart shafts and thought they would (with tips) be the right wieght. I have now gone to ali. arrows because excalibors are great for hunting but way to pricy for target shooting.