PDA

View Full Version : Boar hunting from Turkey

Memo
03-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Hi guys,
I live in turkey and let me tell you how we organise boar hunts. The style maybe called ambush but its more likely a waiting method. We know the geography of hunting fields and usually drop few guys at the begining of the field and we make a line of hunters aligned vertically towards the possible boar coming direction a few kms ahead. You can guess whats happening next; some radio announces from runners and if we are lucky we could take a shot. In one hunting day we can repeat the same scenario about 4 or 5 times at different places.

That one was about a month ago and it was the second series of that day. After a 30min hill climbing, we took our position on top of a rock facing a steep hill and about 20mins later, I saw the boars coming towards us. There were 11 boars coming directly toward us a group of 7 was on the middle a small group of 3 was on the left and a large mean male was on the rightest side. I preffered to stay silent and wait until last second. and rised my gun to watch the one at the right. The big male was running aggresively in the scope of my gun and just as I was talking myself that I had few seconds to place a shot I heard that early shot made by another guy 50 or 60m towards my left. Suddenly boars increased the pace and I lost all my position! I ran few meters and managed to shoot one of the medium sized ones as they are leaving the vision (this is the gal in front of my gf). We checked the boar made a radio announce to call help to carry it but understood that we need to return the cars and take a rope to pull it. The road to cars was downhill as I was asking my gf's feelings about the event that she had recently seen, she stopped and told "whats that noise over these bushes??" I put my gun in skeet position in a second and at the same time, an injured boar charged through the bushes from 5m! First I saw its side and placed a shot through the neck (surprisingly it doesnt change it pace!), than it turned to me with a nose down "teething" position and I placed the second shot just at the back of head from top (it slowed a little) and I placed the last shot towards the forehead (and it fell 3m in front of me). The charging boar is the one infront of me in the picture.

I'm sorry for the bad story language as I'm not the one who can write great stories. Hope you enjoed all.

take care.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/111699.jpg

bone-collector
03-03-2004, 02:40 PM
dam I need to add that to things to do in life list http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_120.gif

3kills
03-03-2004, 04:39 PM
sounds like fun..i would love to try boar hunting one day...thanx for the great story

MadDog
03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I seriously have to start cleaning out the deer camp and get some new hunting partners like Amphibious and Memo have, it would be alot easier on the eyes!!! :lol:

dizzydan
03-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Welcome to HBC and Thanks for the great story & pics DAN>>> :)

SniperGirly
03-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Wow - what lovely pigs and what a pretty girlfriend you have!!! Your English is very very good. Are there a lot of pigs in Turkey?
What else do you hunt?

Carolynne

MadDog
03-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Are there a lot of pigs in Turkey?

I know for sure there are alot of em in an Ontario deer camp! :wink:

Memo
03-04-2004, 02:21 AM
SniperGirly, thanks for the compliments :)
The boar population is really well in Turkey but this does not mean that you can find boars at every hunt. The fields are huge and animals are not stable. There is also a wide range of bird hunts in here but I'm focused on boars. We have also some nice deers, bears, wolfs and some wild goats but all of them need special fees and permissions to hunt.

Memo
03-04-2004, 05:22 AM
this is another one shot in the same hunt...

http://www.hunt101.com/img/111909.JPG

Doug
03-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Sounds like a hell of a hunt, for sure! What kind of shootin' iron is that you are using?

PS to maddog..............you really are having second thoughts about inviting me to your deer camp, aren't you! :roll:

Doug

bone-collector
03-04-2004, 06:37 AM
SHIT and just when I was content to hunt here I have to see that......guess I will have to keep hauling logs for a few more years ...I will have 1 of them skulls on my shelf :twisted:

(why is DAMMIT a controled word?D@MMIT) haha

Doug
03-04-2004, 06:49 AM
Hey BC, we have boar hunts out here too. They are wild boar, but in an enclosed area. I have not tried it, but the guys say it is not "pen hunting" at all, the pigs are very smart and the hunting is high-adrenaline. Some folks use bows, some use rifles.

I think "Bigredd" back on CGN has done it, and he is no candy-ass, you might want to ask him.

And you can get to Ontario cheaper than you can get to Turkey! Plus you know you have a bunch of places to stay when you are out here..........

Doug

PS) I will even allow you to smoke at my place. Out in the garden with the dog shit.......

bone-collector
03-04-2004, 11:53 AM
hmm maybe the dog wont like me ?

Doug
03-04-2004, 12:33 PM
My dog never met a human being he didn't like. :D

Other DOGS! Well, that's a different story.............. 8O

Doug

Memo
03-04-2004, 02:51 PM
my gun is in none of the pictures unfortunately but I'm using a 308win. Sauer 90. Normally I prefer shooting 150gr ammo but in the pictures I was using 190gr norma diamond line.

bone-collector
03-04-2004, 02:53 PM
arrrrrrrrrrrg ok you can stop now memo haha , dam I am a norma ammo fan to bad we cant get it in BC in very many spots ..and if you do find it its about 120 dollars a box for my big guns 8O , so I beg borrow and steal all the norma brass I can find for reloading

Memo
03-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Although my normas are match grade, I was really shocked with the effect they made. You can all imagine the entry of a 30cal. but imagine exit holes in 10 to 15cm wide holes!!! The moly coated HPBT diamond lines are by far the most deadly ammo that I've ever used. Unfortunately we could find such ammo very rarely in here...

bone-collector
03-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Bad Medacine for big piggies

http://www.municion.org/375hh/rws375hhmagG.jpg
http://www.steyrscout.org/bullet2.jpg
Left to right: .308 Win, .350 Rem Mag, .376 Steyr, .375 H&H

and this is a big boar out here Memo
http://hunt101.com/img/068379.JPG

Amphibious
03-05-2004, 05:28 PM
not to hijack the thread - but that steyr looks a lot like the 375 Whelen I was looking at the other night. pretty simmilar?

Doug
03-05-2004, 05:28 PM
OK, I will try to get a photo of my .338-378 KT cartridge beside those dinky little shells there..... :wink:

Doug

bone-collector
03-05-2004, 05:31 PM
haha :roll:

Marc
03-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey Memo welcome to the site. That's some nice animals you got there. Nice to see that your girlfriend takes an interest in hunting. My wife will eat what I bring home but that's as close as she'll get to hunting. What are Boars like for eating? :roll:

Marc.

Memo
03-06-2004, 01:45 AM
wild boars in here are one of the most delicious meat that you can ever taste. They are fat-less and very nice to eat in almost all type of recipies.
My gf is a watcher right now but who knows she always carry a gun :D

MOUNTAINMAN49
03-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Bonez I got a 300pounder a few years ago. There in the Peace country wild, I was at Clayhurst by Ft. St John at a buddies place on a goose hunt. One night after the evening flight. We were BSing in his living room he ask me about wild boar ,was I interested,you bet I said so next day we when out the sign was unbeleaveable . It took 3 days but I got one his head is on my wall and the rest of him tasted great. They are smarter than the tame porkers. These guys bite back.Mountainman49

Rob
03-29-2004, 11:05 PM
I can vouche for mountainman49 on that I have seen the boar as well as the rest of the collection! I didnt think we had wild pigs in Can.!!

3kills
03-30-2004, 01:25 AM
there is wild pigs back east in ontario too isnt there???corrected me if i m wrong...

Doug
03-30-2004, 05:44 AM
There are a few feral hogs here in Ontario, escapees from farms, but very few. The "wild boar" hunts that are done are on game preserves. The guys who have described the hunts say that it is anything but a canned hunt, very exciting, and the boars are not only unpredictable but dangerous.

I have not tried it myself, but several of my hunting buddies have.

Doug