PDA

View Full Version : fibre optic sights

westhoyt
10-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi there, are there any good bow sights that can withstand a bit of hunting abuse, I have 2 broken fiber optic strands and the strands seem quite brittle so unwinding them to refeed the sight pin is not working, I think it is a lower end truglo sight. Thanks

Ddog
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
cobra sidewinder, the larger of the two available is what i have been using for last six or so yrs and al i do is bowhunt.

Bow Walker
10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Have a look at these guys. Tough as nails and almost indestructable.

http://www.spot-hogg.com/products/bow_sights/real_deal/index.php

Bow Walker
10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
:wink:Have a look at these guys. Tough as nails and almost indestructable.:smile:

http://www.spot-hogg.com/products/bow_sights/real_deal/index.php

Eagle1
10-30-2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.truglo.com/content/products/archery/sights/super_slam.asp

Have a look at this sight, I use one and the pins/fiber optic are indestuctable.
IMO. We have a couple in the store.

Kudu
10-31-2009, 03:29 PM
I have the TruGlo TG5211C. - not expensive and works brilliantly. would recommend it to anyone.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
10-31-2009, 06:41 PM
try heating your fiber optic in warm water this will soften it and then you will be able t o work with it

Bow Walker
10-31-2009, 07:03 PM
http://www.truglo.com/content/products/archery/sights/super_slam.asp

Have a look at this sight, I use one and the pins/fiber optic are indestuctable.
IMO. We have a couple in the store.
Great sight right there.

try heating your fiber optic in warm water this will soften it and then you will be able t o work with it
Good advice - just don't use boiling water! No hotter than you can put/lrave your hands in...

Bigbear
11-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Have a Look at the Sword Sites. The Fibers are Teflon, They dont get stiff an dry out. They stay Pliable in all weather conditions. They don't ssem to break if snagged in the bush. I know of several people up here that have them and are really pleased with them. They also have a Great 3D scope BowWalker Called the Cyclopes. I just got one for my self. It has 1 pin with a light for those dark Bushy shoots down that way LOL.

westhoyt
11-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi thanks for the input the local Hoyt dealer has Fuse products that kind of go along with Hoyt ,are these sights any good?
I think the problem with my fiber optics is they are too brittle so impact or bushes catching on them break them. I think they broke when I fell down tripping over a stick

Bowzone_Mikey
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Fuse sights are good .... I personally like the Trophy Ridge brand of Sights .

I havent had any problem with Cobra sidewinders either ....

Ambush
11-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I've used a number of sights over the years. A buddy bought a Spot-Hogg which really impressed me, but I thought no hunting sight could be worth $200 plus.
The Spot-Hogg, with the wrap, is by far the best sight I have ever used and so far the most durable. I've had many of the major brands and IMO The Spot-Hogg is noticeably better.

Some will argue that that is too much to pay for a sight and theirs works just as good. To each his own, but unless you've used both in actual hunting conditions, you're not realy making a comparison.

But yes, you can use most any sight with success, same as we used to use the old brass pins with painted ends. But there is something better out there.:wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
11-01-2009, 11:38 PM
You get what you pay for ... as far as spott hogg goes ..I hear tell Ambush is right... I personally havent used one, but know many others that do ... I am afraid to try one because i know I will at least 600 dollars lighter to outfit my bows with 'em

a guy can use a 40 dollar scope on their rifle too and argue that it works just as good as their Ziess etc.....

BowSitter
11-02-2009, 12:06 AM
I also use a Spott Hogg on my hunting rig and will continue to do so. Best hunting sight I have used so far.

Bow Walker
11-02-2009, 04:37 PM
A buddy of mine got the new Trophy Ridge Micro Alpha V5 adjustable sight. It's s-a-weeet.

http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V5/

You gotta be able to get used to inline pins though....which takes about 5 or 6 shots!

Foxtail
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Fuse sights are good .... I personally like the Trophy Ridge brand of Sights .

I havent had any problem with Cobra sidewinders either ....

I am also partial to trophy ridge, I love the inline pins, it makes for a very clear sight window. The fibers are wrapped and completely protected so they can't snag on anything. I've had mine for 2 years now and am very happy with it.

Danny
11-04-2009, 08:34 AM
A little off topic but does anyone make a range finder that mounts onto a bow.
We where talking about it the other day and none of us had ever seen one

Bowzone_Mikey
11-04-2009, 07:09 PM
yes ...I assume you are talking like a laser Rangfinder
after a quick google search of " Bow mounted range finder" I came up with this

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-yardage-pro-bow-laser-rangefinder-200100.html

Bow Walker
11-04-2009, 07:17 PM
There is also a "range-finder" that isn't a laser one yet it still mounts to the bow - it's actually part of your bow sight.

I can't remember the name nor the website, but it's out there.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
There is also a "range-finder" that isn't a laser one yet it still mounts to the bow - it's actually part of your bow sight.

I can't remember the name nor the website, but it's out there.

ya ..thats just dots ... provided you set it up right ... try my google search ...it was the top one

huntwriter
11-04-2009, 09:29 PM
But yes, you can use most any sight with success, same as we used to use the old brass pins with painted ends. But there is something better out there.:wink:

Lol. I use a TruGlo fiber optic for so many years that I forgot what model it is. But when I go on a rough hunt where I have to crawl through the thick stuff on hands and knees to get where the deer are I put an old brass pin dipped in glo paint and mounted in a steel frame back on the bow. I have yet to bend one and at 25 yeards, my average shooting distance, they do a perfet job.:wink:

Danny
11-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys
Dan

westhoyt
11-10-2009, 07:21 AM
well I have looked at quite a few online, lots to choose from, it would be nice to go to an archery superstore to look at all the choices in person.
the vertical pin sights look good , More visibility, I am going to have to go and look at some before I choose. Thanks Jody