PDA

View Full Version : Game X-border info. needed

longshotz
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Looking for some info. on bringing back game meat from USA hunts.
Have sent several emails to Can.Brdr.Ser.
Still waiting 3 weeks for reply.
Seems the ability to answer routine inquiries isn't a pre-requisite to be a CBS drone.
According to the website there is a Hunter Permit (????) required. Asked in email for details.
Anyone gone through the process of importing your kill from the US?
Thanks

Longshotz

bighornbob
10-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Brought back an antelope back in 2002 and the conservation went like this.

CBS- What were you doing in the states?

Me- Hunting.

CBS- Get anything?

Me- Yes a Pronghorn.

CBS- How many?

Me- Just one.

CBS- Is it in the back (meaning truck)?

Me-Yes

CBS- Do you have a firearm?

Me- Yes.

CBS- Do you have all the permits for the gun?

Me- yes

CBS- Have a good night.

Before I left I talked to buddy about bringing meat back, like do I have to have a peice of hide on everything or eveidence of sex. Is answer was in todays age (after 911) they dont really care about meat. if you have a tag for something and a carcass of something that was good enough.

Like any border crossing I think it all depends on the person you get asking the questions then the actual law. Get someone that hunts and you may only have to show the horns as they want to see them. Get a bunny hugger and you may get stripped down as only a hardend criminal would kill an animal.

BHB

David Heitsman
10-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I tried to bring a whole deer in from WA a few years ago (10+) at Nighthawk and they said no chance. Had to go to Peace Arch or Osoyoos
and schedule an apt. with an Agricultural Inspector.
Couldn't be bothered so took it to a B'ham butcher and brought it in a few roasts/sausage at a time with no problemo.

longshotz
10-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Depends what kind of game your talking about? Hope you were more specific in your questions to CBSA.
Elk/Deer must be in possession of the game lic/tag or bill of sale from the farm the animal (Mainly Elk) it came from.There is no limit on the amount of meat you can import like there is on beef.
Not to burst your hollier then thou bubble but a question regarding the importation of game crossing the border isn't exactly a routine question for the so called drones to answer.
My email asked if this is applicable to all game including birds.
I finally got a response from CSB that it may take up to 40 days to respond (I wonder if this includes the 22 days waiting so far?) as this is not a routine inquiry and the volume of email is "unusually large".
Right.

longshotz
10-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Given the responses so far it seems that that the right foot doesn't know what the left hand is doing when it comes to consistency in the importation of game meat.
Tend to agree with bighornbob on this issue, but will wait for official reply from CSB and compare what they say with what happens in the real world.

longshotz
10-28-2009, 06:56 AM
I tried to bring a whole deer in from WA a few years ago (10+) at Nighthawk and they said no chance. Had to go to Peace Arch or Osoyoos
and schedule an apt. with an Agricultural Inspector.
Couldn't be bothered so took it to a B'ham butcher and brought it in a few roasts/sausage at a time with no problemo.
Sounds like a distinct case of buck passing: no pun intended
Drones at CSB. Unable and/or unwilling to take the initiative or responsibility.

mrdoog
10-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Did you try calling 1-800-461-9999?
You might get lucky and speak to drone directly!

CFIA also has an automated reference system on their website.

1/2 slam
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Depends what kind of game your talking about? Hope you were more specific in your questions to CBSA.
Elk/Deer must be in possession of the game lic/tag or bill of sale from the farm the animal (Mainly Elk) it came from.There is no limit on the amount of meat you can import like there is on beef.
Not to burst your hollier then thou bubble but a question regarding the importation of game crossing the border isn't exactly a routine question for the so called drones to answer.

Drove up to the border with a deer. Asked if I had a License/Tag when I said yes I was good to go. It was simple. So far 2 deer and 3 antelope.

KB90
11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
My sister is a border officer at the Peace Arch crossing ill ask her tonight.