PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Dog Org.

Mooseman
01-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Hello fellow hunters,
As some of you may know there are several of us in BC that are practicing the old European tradition of tracking wounded game with trained scent hounds. We are in the process of getting organized and forming a club or association of some kind. That way we would be better able to offer valuable information and support to newcomers, experienced trackers or individuals that are just interested in the subject.

If this is something new to you and you are not so familiar with the tracking dogs history, dog training, handler training or the actual tracking work, I will try to give you a small introduction here.
Dogs have been assisting hunters from way back around 10.000 bc. But only in the last 250 years or so has there been a more focused effort on breeding dogs for the job of tracking wounded game. Since that time there have been some specialty breeds that are used mainly by the professional tracking dog handlers in Europe. But there are many other breeds of dogs that use rather scent then sight for hunting and can be trained to become excellent tracking dogs as well.
Sometimes a hunter might make a less then perfect shot on an animal and most of the times we are able to still find it after a long painstaking and difficult search. But in some cases we are unable to track well enough with our eyes and then the trained tracking dog is a very valuable tool. Once you have seen what a good dog can do you will wonder why you would ever have tracked without one.
A 24 hour old trail of a wounded animal that was rained on all night and has no blood or track left for us to see will still give off enough scent for a trained tracking dog to follow and find that animal for us. The top tracking competitions use a 40 hour old trail and it is amazing to see these dogs sorting out all the fresh tracks crossing the one they have to follow. There are many benefits this presents for all us hunters and outfitters. Some are financial, wildlife management, good PR for the non hunting public but the two that stand out with all handlers are "ethics" and how rewarding the work is for the dog and the handler.

If this has sparked an interest and you have further questions, please feel free to contact us. If you share the same interests or would just like to support the idea and join us and be part of this group, we would be happy to hear from you.

All the best to you and your families for 2006 !
Michael Schneider
michael@going-hunting.com

Barracuda
01-11-2006, 11:34 AM
what type of hounds do you have .
some of the trailing clubs have a limited number of breeds they allow .

I have a dog that will blood trail in fact he will trail pretty much what i ask him to but in Canada he wouldnt fit into the mold . In the UK spanials are used for ,Bomb work, Ag work ,blood work and various other tasks but in north america they seem to have had either the brains bred out of them for show or they are tightly wound trials dogs.
Does you group allow working dog of various breeds from EU working bloodlines(all sporting breeds, spanials Vizla,Hanovarian ,stHubert,bloodhounds, otterhounds etc) or is it only limited to a certain or specific breeds

here is an interesting articile http://www.policek9.com/html/theory.html

Mooseman
01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
One of the goals this club will have is to assist any handler with any breed of dog that has an interest in tracking wounded game with his/her dog/s within the law. E.g.: leashed while tracking any big game animal other then bear or cats.

I have grown up with the tracking for wounded game with trained dogs and have practiced it in the last 19 years as an outfitter and have done tracking for resident hunters that asked me to.

There are others that do the same then me. I just think it would be a good idea to have more of us out there. The type of dog one wants to use is up to the handler. There are also people already part of our affords and will be members once set up, that have no dog and might not ever get one. But they think it is a good idea and would like to help!

I'd be more then happy to add you to the email-list and keep you in the loop of things and if at any time you would like to do or help some how, just let us know.

One thing has to be very clear: This group will have a mission and a mission statement to reduce the loss of wounded animals. The people in this group will come from all different demographics and any other ongoings will be no part of this organization. No tolerance for bringing up "negative" issues. E.g. Resident - Non Resident, GOABC - BCWF, Trad. Bow - X-Bow, First Nations - Last Nations. Whatever else goes on has no part in our mission.

It will:
- show that we care
- reduce the # of lost animals
- have a very positive effect on the non hunting population
- provide common goals for all hunters and real conservationists
- provide help to the wildlife branch when needed
- help wildlife populations

and last but not least be a lot of fun!

Best Regards,
Michael

michael@going-hunting.com

Barracuda
01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
well that sounds like an intersting and realistic group . I would appreciate being kept informed . You folks are located in Prince George only right?
does anyone in your group use Dachhunds or Bassets?

Mooseman
01-11-2006, 12:51 PM
I live in Prince George but the future members are from all over BC, Yukon, USA and Europe. That is as of now the interest that I am getting. Many from outside Canada are only wanting to be part since they would like to help us succeed. Some of them have trained tracking dogs and have done thousands of successful searches and will provide us with all the information and advice we need.

I don't know of anyone right now that has contacted me with an attempt to be part of this org. with a Dachshund or Basset.

If you would like to be on the Email list, please email me to the above address and I will send you some more info.

Best Regards,
Michael

houndogger
01-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey cuda any of those over grown beagles you are running will do! I mean walkers. Oh wait a minute I have three!:mrgreen: Just kidding buddy.;-)

I have talked to Mike about being part of the club. Any excuse to have another dog!:mrgreen: Mike I have been thinking of training up a bloodhound for search and rescue man tracking stuff. Now you are the guy with all the experience hear, what are your thoughts? Mine are these dogs are give the scent or track you want them to follow. So I should be able to train one to do both huh? It just has to have big long ears for me!:mrgreen:

later Dave

Mooseman
01-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey cuda any of those over grown beagles you are running will do! I mean walkers. Oh wait a minute I have three!:mrgreen: Just kidding buddy.;-)

I have talked to Mike about being part of the club. Any excuse to have another dog!:mrgreen: Mike I have been thinking of training up a bloodhound for search and rescue man tracking stuff. Now you are the guy with all the experience hear, what are your thoughts? Mine are these dogs are give the scent or track you want them to follow. So I should be able to train one to do both huh? It just has to have big long ears for me!:mrgreen:

later Dave

Excellent idea. Just make sure that longbow is mine when she cuts your throat. LOL

There is tonns of info on man trailing and search and rescue work on the web. That is a very close thing to tracking wounded game but it has differences.

Right now I am just trying to get the organization up and running. The next step would be to get a webstite up and fill it with good contacts and information. The dog training and handler training corses will be done at a later stage.

BTW, could you send me your input for the Sunday meeting?

Greetings,
Michael