PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Pronghorn Hunter Host Adventure

Springer
10-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Alberta Pronghorn Hunter Host Adventure.

Well since there has not been a bunch of Antelope pics on here i thought i would share my adventure with ya'all.

The adventure began a little over a year ago when my good friend Greg Peet and i were sitting in his Boat on the Columbia River fishing for Rainbow's that were feeding on the surface. Greg moved back to Trail after living and working in Red Deer for years. Greg pops the question, Hey Phil, being a BC resident i need to apply for Antelope with an Alberta resident in order to boost my priority. Better than that Greg i will put you in with me and we will Hunt Antelope together if drawn!!
August rolls around this year and my WINRELM results says Trophy Antelope...SUCCESFUL !

I get on the phone and inform Greg he better get practiced running at 60 mph because we are going on a hunt for his first ever Pronghorn Antelope.
We agree to meet at camp Saturday Night after their long drive from Trail BC.
I headed out Saturday at noon just as excited as them.Along the drive i watched for Antelope and hopefully one of those Prairie Bulls i have heard about will show himself, when low and behold i encountered this nice 6 point Bull.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/PrairieBull.jpg

After some pics and video footage i carried on to Hanna to get some fuel and look for Donny Bears camp there, but he was out scouting like an educated Antelope hunter should.

I arrived at camp parked in the shade of the big Cottonwoods waiting for Greg and His Father, Austin to arrive. Around 7:30 that evening the guy's arrive just before the storm hit. We sought refuge under the big trees but when they started blowing over we pulled out into the field . Hail damage can be repaired ,one of those humungus trees landing on us could end the trip right there.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/afterthestorm.jpg
After the storm subsided we set the wall tent up in the dark and light rain shower. Once settled in we had some vittles a drink of rum and got a restless sleep with the tarp flapping,coyotes howling and that lonely Bull Elk calling along the river valley.

We spent Sunday exploring the country and went to see if Hank the Tank was still around from last Tuesday's scout. Sure enough he was right in same spot but never provided me a close photo opportunity but he is still absolutely the biggest Antelope i have ever seen.!!
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/NiceBuck2.jpg

Monday opener i had Hank in the crosshairs at 348 yards when a vehicle on the road comes to a screaching halt in the gravel and his 2 Does are up and running and so is he. Hank did the Houdini in the rolling hills and i never saw him again.

After passing on numerous Bucks we spot a nice heavy horned Buck but he is up and on the run. We pursued this Buck trying to head him off and i Missed my first shot in the howling wind. Again we spot him and he's headed South so we get way ahead and hoof it across the rolling landscape only to come to an abrupt stop when a pocket holding 12 Does and another smaller Buck. Were patiently waiting their move when my Buck heads right into their group. Again they are headed South and again I miss when my Buck turns just before my shot. Further South we go and they head West this time . Now their a km away and we head back North, then West awaiting their next move. We see Austin in the truck and he is waving to head West we crouch and run SW and await their arrival. Were laying in the tall prairie grass when they start coming over the rise ,here comes my Buck and Whop i hit him !! High fives exchanged and some whoops let out. We head for the crest there,he lays,wait a minute, this is not the Big Buck i saw earlier,he pulls the Ground shrinkage ,the Bigger Buck slipped away but I am still happy.
We spend the next 2 hours reliving the hunt and get my Buck photographed,cleaned and caped.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/SpringersBuck.jpg

Were off again and scout and Greg turns down many good Bucks.On the way back to camp we drool over some big Whitetail and Mule Bucks and a Brute of a 7x7 Bull Elk that showed now fear. It was to dusk for photo's but his rack is engrained in our memories.
Day 2 were up and down the road after a hot Tip from another hunter that told us of a spot along the river valley on EID land bordering posted land.
We spot some great Bucks on the posted land and as we continued on the foot access only area Greg spots his Buck with a Doe. This time we hunker down and think this one out. Hmm what are they going to do ??
Along comes a truck a km or so away and they spook the Antelope toward us .Greg sets out the bipod and when the Buck slows to a slow walk his 280 rings out and his 250 yd shot connects with a Whop. Again the high fives,whooping and hollering we walk up Greg's fine looking Antelope.
Austin joins us a short while later and we relive the adventure.Austin was able to watch both kills through the spotting scope. We take photo's and tag,clean and cape Greg's Buck.
Sadly our successful Hunter Hosted Antelope Hunt comes to an end.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/GregsBuck.jpg

We head back break camp and were off to home to visit Marco at Sugar Creek and drop off Greg's Buck for mounting.

Greg and Austin are 2 of the finest gentleman i have ever hunted with and i cant wait to Host Austin for first ever hunt and Greg and I again for ours.
Thank's guy's and your welcome around my camp anytime.

Springer

rishu_pepper
10-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Nice looking speed goat! I should apply with you next time :biggrin:

bridger
10-23-2009, 08:26 AM
great hunt and well done story thanks for the post. i have heard that if you aren't sucessful in the draw and guided hunt is around $3000 do you know if that is true? thanks

whitetailsheds
10-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Nice read/ photos, thanks Phil! Couple more years, hopefully, for myself. Bridger, check out Silver Sage Outfitters' website. 3 day rifle 'lope hunt - $4200. They have donated 'lope hunts at the WSSOBC banquet the last couple years. Taking some big antelope those boys!

Ruger4
10-23-2009, 08:35 AM
great photos

mountainman
10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Nice story and pics. Gee next year I should be priority 2 for speed goats! Guess who I'm calling for guiding?

10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Very Very Cool and Congrats, Pronghorn,that's one of the many hunts on my .......

BUCKET LIST

Nice animal and great experience.

Nice pics too.

CT

Blainer
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM
What a great opportunity.
Good on ya! and beautiful Antelope.

David Heitsman
10-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Real 'heart shaped' horns. Will make a beautiful mount.

Springer
10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Yup Antelope hunting is the most fun you can have with your clothes on thats for sure!
Mountainman you'll have to be priority 6 at least to get drawn but I would love to guide you!!
Met some BC guys,well Guy Scott and another fella that were guided by Silver Sage for the price quoted. My biggest surprise was they donated the meat because their guide said it was not very edible !! Not true,actually its my favourite wild game. Silver sage do take Big Antelope and put on many many miles scouting for their clients.
I am very disappointed on the size of my goat after turning down Bigger and not getting the BIG one I had scouted.He'll be a European mount though.
If you have Alberta Buddies that hunt they can put 2 out of province hunters on their draw forms ,then @ 6 years down the road you can go on a very affordable Antelope Hunt.

Cheers!

Donny Bear
11-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Good on you Springer nice goats and good guide! Someday you and I will team up. Like you I would be more than Happy to take a guy out think I might be able to get someone in on a good speeder.

srupp
11-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Well done Phil..hmmmm obviously NOT using REDS rifle..OOPS

GREAT article and photos...

cheers

Ruppster

Caveman
11-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Awesome Job Phil! Congrats to both of you guys on a successful hunt and a great memory.

Mik
11-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Congrats on the bucks. Great pics. I too am looking forward to a hunt, 2010 should be our year as we were priority 6 this year.

goatdancer
11-21-2009, 01:19 PM
250 yd shot. Now that would have been a god send. Laying in wait in tall prairie grass, that too would have been nice. You got some nice antelopes. We got one out of 4 hunters and that was at over 425 yds. Most of the ones we tried to sneak in on were over 600 yds before we ran out of cover. No tall prairie grass, just little bits of stubble and bits of sage brush among tons of prickly pear cactus. It's amazing how they can pull the Houdini act and just seem to disappear without running away. After opening day, they were very edgy and always on the move. All in all, antelope hunting is a real rush.

Springer
01-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Donny Bear you should post your son Adisons Antelope !! Now theres a Toad of Goat shot this year by a junior hunter. Man this Buck of his was not only larger horn size but his head was almost twice as big and he has Jowels under his chin!!
Don did his homework,some preseason scouting and had him on Opening morning i believe.

Depending on the terrain. You may or may not have cover for a sneak Goatdancer. Close to the river valley should provides this.

srupp
01-01-2010, 02:17 PM
well done Springer..now you need some holidays..hmmm where to?????

Happy New Year

and to all your friends in PROVOST too..

Steven..aka Elmer FuddRuppster

01-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Alternativelly, you can apply in Montana or Wyoming. The draw is much easier to get, usually no more then two years and often you'll get drawn the first year. You must have a passport and you must get a BATF permit to take your rifle into the States.

The rural folk down there are great, very helpful, and getting permission for private land is relativelly easy. The ranches are huge, up to 40 sections of land in some cases. Also the Block Management Access systems they use in both States are very good, you can usually get permission to hunt huge blocks of private land (two or three ranches) right at the F&W offices. A do-it-yourself hunt is very feasible, no guide or resident sponsor is required.

Zone 700 near Miles City in southeastern Montana issues 13,000 antelope tags per year and 1300 of them are allocated for non-residents. It's mostly on-foot hunting, spot and stalk, most areas do not allow vehicles to go off the county roads. This makes for a very good undisturbed hunting experience and backpacking an antelope out is a piece of cake on flat ground.

goatdancer
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Depending on the terrain. You may or may not have cover for a sneak Goatdancer. Close to the river valley should provides this.

The area we were in had no river valleys so cover was very limited. Might have to pick a different area next time.
Sure would like to see more picks of 'prairie racing goats'. They are awesome animals. If one gets lucky and bags one early, the rest of the time could be spent looking for one for your hunting partners. If not, it becomes a tremendous weight loss program. Great challenge, no matter what.

Cariboospeed
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Cool story, I'm very envious. Definitely on my list of things to accomplish.

Springer
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Goatdancer,what WMU were you hunting and where did you stay.
I feel the same way about wanting to Harvest a Nice Pronghorn as i do want to hunt a Stone Sheep and how cool the opportunity would be,but without $20,000 or so I am S.O.L.
At least you BC hunters can come to AB and something you may only hunt once or twice in a lifetime here.
I think Alberta is pretty generous on Non resident hunters on a variety of game .

It's amazing how you can look across a flat prairie and be fooled their not there and the next thing you know while traveling across it there's a pocket full of Antelope.
Believe me If i could hunt them every year i sure would.How many days did you guys hunt for Goatdancer.

goatdancer
01-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Goatdancer,what WMU were you hunting and where did you stay.
I feel the same way about wanting to Harvest a Nice Pronghorn as i do want to hunt a Stone Sheep and how cool the opportunity would be,but without $20,000 or so I am S.O.L.
At least you BC hunters can come to AB and something you may only hunt once or twice in a lifetime here.
I think Alberta is pretty generous on Non resident hunters on a variety of game .

It's amazing how you can look across a flat prairie and be fooled their not there and the next thing you know while traveling across it there's a pocket full of Antelope.
Believe me If i could hunt them every year i sure would.How many days did you guys hunt for Goatdancer.

I think the WMUs were 108 & 112, the two that are on the Saskatchewan, Montana, and Alberta border (the extreme southeast corner of Alberta). We camped at Elkwater and hunted for 5 days. There were 4 of us hunting. We saw lots of animals but lack of antelope experience probably cost us some good opportunities. Opening day was so windy I couldn't keep a steady aim with a bipod. The terrain didn't allow us to get close enough for a decent shot ( none of us was going to shoot at 600+ yards).
After opening day the critters just got spookier every day. Lots of guys driving the roads so it was hard to put a sneak on. Any hints on a better area to apply for? Most guys we talked to said it took about 6 yrs to get drawn so we're going for it again. It would be nice to have better terrain to sneak up on them because I'm going to be really long in the tooth by the time the next draw happens.
I can't help you with the sheep. We tried to get a permit to accompny for my hunting partners brother but it's a no-go.

BCRiverBoater
01-08-2010, 05:44 AM
You can get permits to accompany Canadian residents for most species in BC except Sheep and of course Grizz being on LEH. Do not see any BC residents getting to hunt Alberta bighorns either. :(

Springer
01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
BC riverboater Yes i knew years ago I could not hunt sheep there.Still makes me want one though. There is a small amount of tags going to BC Hunters and it is on a priority draw as well. I believe you have to draw with an AB resident when you do though.

Goatdancer i will look at the WMU map and get back to you. I believe the provincial record Buck was shot in Mannyberries down there.

Springer
01-14-2010, 08:49 AM
So i finally looked at the WMU Map G.D. and i am surprised where you went that you cam home empty handed. The closer you are to the Montana Wyoming corner i would expected you would have seen higher numbers of Antelope. I have never hunted that far South. Did you see some Good sized Mule bucks there?
I would pick WMU 150,151,152 or 160 or 162 myself. Oh and the use of a Decoy will improve your chances in the earlier season for sure.

goatdancer
01-14-2010, 01:29 PM
So i finally looked at the WMU Map G.D. and i am surprised where you went that you cam home empty handed. The closer you are to the Montana Wyoming corner i would expected you would have seen higher numbers of Antelope. I have never hunted that far South. Did you see some Good sized Mule bucks there?
I would pick WMU 150,151,152 or 160 or 162 myself. Oh and the use of a Decoy will improve your chances in the earlier season for sure.

We had no experience hunting these goats before and it was a huge learning trip. Saw lots of antelope, some very nice ones. We will do things differently next time (lessons learned). There were some very nice muley bucks there. Can you use a decoy during the trophy hunt?

Springer
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes you can use a decoy,Your going to get people hacking on you if you do because someone may shoot you ,mistaking you for a Pronghorn.

But as you now know its a lot of wide open real estate and with anyone else hunting ,you will see them and not use your decoy. My preference next time would be a 2D lightweight decoy . We had a Flambeou Antelope decoy but it was big and cumbersome to handle. One of the most hilarious moments on the scout trip was when we put the decoy on the road allowance and drove off 200 yds. A Buck had it spotted and was coming directly at him when it blew over due to the wind there. He kept coming and walked right up to him kicking dirt and checking out the decoy. When he knew he had been fooled he carried on.

srupp
01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
hmmmm interesting what a SHEEP decoy would do in Provost..

a whole different story..

cheers
SR

waistdeep
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Grew up in Sask and hunting those many years. Great memories of many lopes hanging in the garage after a day of chasing around the hills. Largest we nailed I believe was 16 3/4 inch. Good to hear of others still enjoying that hunt, never mind the muleys you kick up while searching the hills :)