PDA

View Full Version : First time out for waterfowl

rollingrock
01-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Went to the Pitt marsh early this morning with two of my friends. None of us had hunted waterfowls, and my friends were both bow hunters for the past. So we only had a 20" trench gun 12ga which is my bear defence gun only. :mrgreen: We all thought that was crazy but gonna see how a 20" shottie would do, but our advantage is that one of us has a canoe. Yahoo!

So we got there around 6:30 in the rain. My friend said that the rain was gonna deter a lot hunters today. Well obviously that wasn't the case. Right after we got there, two more cars showed up, and one had a canoe on its top too. Everybody was laughing in the dark, yeah, today was gonna be a fun day!

We headed to the centre of the marsh land in our boat. I was sitting right in the middle with my gun, and friends were paddling. We didn't have any idea where we were gonna head to until we heard the first gun shot when the first light broke in. Damn it, we got to be faster! So we just made turn onto the first water entrance. We heard the ducks far away and really couldn't see any of them. So I said I'm gonna shoot anything I see and could shoot.

Not long there came a flock of coots on the water. None of us had any idea how the birds were spooked in this area. So Jamie and Marshal started darting the boat towards the coots. I guess the coots were still not totally awake and shocked to see our canoe charging towards them. When I saw the distance narrowed to about 30 metre, I pumped my gun, Jamie got down to the bottom of the canoe with Marshal keeping paddling. The coots started taking off. As soon as they were in the air, I rapidly let 3 shots out by pumping the gun like nuts. Two dropped. What a start of the day!

After we got three coots, the birds started being spooked and figuring out how to deal with us. They wouldn't let us get within 50 yards. So we decided to avoid the open waters and get into smaller and windier channels. So we were still able to get another two. However, the shots obviously didn't look as powerful as we thought if we shot at the birds above 30 metres. At first we thought it might be because of the distance. But after we lost two beautiful ducks even after they were definitely hit by the pellets at about 30 to 35 yards, we figured there was something wrong with our shot sizes. We used #4 and #5. One duck was hit by the pellets, and all of us saw the shock he took. For a second we all thought he's gonna drop as his wings stopped moving for a second, but he managed to regain his strength and slided into bush 60 metre away where we had no way to get in to find him.

So we finally came back home with 5 coots, and that wrapped up our day. I think next time we'll bring #2 and #3 shots to clean the house:razz: . My friend sare already budgeting for a 28" barrel for the next trip.

Freshtracks
01-09-2006, 12:17 AM
:redface: ... ouch.

Johnnybear
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Sounds like an interesting trip. You should try blinding the canoe and calling them in it's a real blast. That 28" barrel you talked about is a must. I use #2 steel and a modified choke seems to work the best for me. Just my 2 bits.

rudar
01-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I'm just starting, too, and shooting over decoys is definitely easier than pass-shooting. They're nice and close and moving slow. Not that I've tried jump-shooting from a canoe, so your mileage may vary...

Reliable down on Fraser and 16th had decoys for $50/dozen, if they still have 'em in stock... Of course, you need weights and cord on top of that. Mail-order from Alberta's about ten bucks cheaper, but then you pay $10 for shipping and don't get them before the end of hunting season...

rollingrock
01-09-2006, 01:03 PM
For some reason I kinda doubt if calling is going to work in Pitt marsh because there're so many hunters in that small area and the birds are so spooked. We saw a lot of blinds at one spot and actually two guys sitting in one of them calling the ducks. They used decoys too. But the ducks didn't seem to be willing to get over their heads.

todbartell
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
pass shooting with a defender, sounds like fun :roll: :grin:

rollingrock
01-09-2006, 01:28 PM
pass shooting with a defender, sounds like fun :roll: :grin:

:mrgreen: believe it or not, that was so much fun! Next time we're gonna change the tactics a little bit.

NEEHAMA
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
what do you do with coots? i never shot one. can you eat them?

lip_ripper00
01-09-2006, 01:32 PM
where they old coots?:p

rollingrock
01-09-2006, 01:36 PM
what do you do with coots? i never shot one. can you eat them?

I made a good soup out of them, and actually the size and the weight aren't as bad after I cleaned them out. I just stew the birds in the soup for hours with ginger and green onion. That smelled so good! But cleaning the feather is quite a bit hassle.

rollingrock
01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
where they old coots?:p

Ya, ya, you're right!;-)

Dano
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Good to hear you got out and had a good time.
Get to know the marsh a bit and where guys set up before you shoot where you can't see for a long way. I'ld hate to think you may jump a duck near by me and shoot at grass level and I was within range (it's happened before, only bounced off my vest :eek: ). Also, for your buddies safty and your own piece of mind, it would be best for the shooter to be in the bow of a canoe. Safest place and no chance of your buddy trying to sneak a peek of what is going on. I've done the canoe hunting before. I found the most success by staying close to shore on the inside of a turn and the bow shooter has to be ready to get that shot off. Position the boat and your self to allow the greatest amount of swing.
You may also find a later start time won't change your results to much and guys like me don't mind if you travel around scaring up birds mid morning.
See you out there, I'll be the guy who calls ducks and they come in!
Dano

rollingrock
01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you, Dano! We actually saw two guys sitting in their blinds before we left. They had their decoys set up on water and called pretty well (really sounded like a duck), about 150 metres away. At first I didn't notice them, and a duck suddenly darted out of the grass. I raised the gun rapidly and almost slapped the trigger, but my buddy stopped me, only because the direction I was gonna shoot in pointed right into where the hunters were sitting at.

Victor
01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Hello,

Happy to hear you made it out before the end of the season. I know some people will think I'm crazy, but as far as I'm concerned, there arent enough duck hunters in the Pitt marsh- let me explain. Everytime I've hunted the area this season, whether a Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday, I've only heard the shots of 2, maybe 3 other groups of hunters. For an area as HUGE as the Pitt marsh, that's NOTHING. 15 years ago, I used to hunt the area with my dad. Way more hunters, but more than enough room for everyone. If you ran into other hunters in your "favorite" spot, you would just have to move another 500 plus yards and set up there. There was always lots of shooting, which moved the ducks around- better for everyone. In addition, consider this. We all know that hunting, especially in the Lower Mainland, is more and more being frowned on. The way I see it, it's just a matter of time before the powers that be decide that, due to a few complaints from anti hunters, it would be best if they close the area altogether. How many of us will speak up for the right to continue to hunt the area? It's just a matter of time before the awesome priveledge of hunting within 45 minutes of Vancouver will be taken away. The thought of possibly not being able to take my two year old son hunting to a place that my father took me bothers me to no end. That's the eay I see it- feel free to disagree!

Victor

PS- If you dont think duck calling works, think again. All you have to do is spend 10 minutes in a blind with a good duck caller like Dave, or I'm sure Dan as well, and you'll change your mind. Hunting over decoys with a good duck call and a dog- now that's duck hunting- nothing like it:D

todbartell
01-09-2006, 11:11 PM
really gotta watch what's behind your target when pass shooting ducks :o

rollingrock
01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
really gotta watch what's behind your target when pass shooting ducks :o

oh yeah, for sure! but some blinds are so well built that you can't see them from a distance. now it looks like I need to glass each spot I'm heading into.

Dirty
01-11-2006, 12:55 AM
We actually saw two guys sitting in their blinds before we left. They had their decoys set up on water and called pretty well (really sounded like a duck), about 150 metres away. At first I didn't notice them, and a duck suddenly darted out of the grass. I raised the gun rapidly and almost slapped the trigger, but my buddy stopped me, only because the direction I was gonna shoot in pointed right into where the hunters were sitting at.

ahhh isnt the first thing u learn in hunting is not to shoot towards other people? remember guns aint toys ALWAYS look around for other hunters before shooting in an area.

kishman
02-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi all I gues i'm kind of dredging up an old thread here but I have a question that works here. I know we can hunt on Pitt marsh, but for those of us who are a little more landlocked i.e. not boat, are we able to hunt geese/ducks anywhere along the dyke that heads down river/up lake from the boat launch? I'm also new to waterfowling so I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for where I can/can't hunt in the lower mainland.

NEEHAMA
02-23-2006, 10:54 AM
you need to grab a copy of the "fraser vallley special area's map" it should be at every hunting store. it's very easy to read.

kishman
02-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Thank you neehama, I've been finding info like that harder to come by than the birds themselves;)