PDA

View Full Version : ptarmigan hunt.. maybe

humanhound
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
New to the Trail Area and looking to shoot my first ptarmigan, thinking of taking a day walk on top of the Kootany pass, is it any good up there? And can I hunt that little park I see there on the right?
Any advice would be appreciated

Boombb
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Have fun Chuckers are a great game bird....

Just a word of caution.. Its generally (ever?) not permited to hunt in parks..

humanhound
10-20-2009, 11:47 AM
went all the way there no birds, some tracks... there was a foot of snow on the ground at the top. Couple of cariboo running around checked the regs on this area and hunting is allowed for grouse

FLHTCUI
10-20-2009, 05:05 PM
You can hunt in some Provincial Parks, you just need to check the regulations against the names of the Provincial Parks that allow hunting durring lawfull hunting seasons.
As the first poster didnt mention if it was a provincial park or a city park I can not say for certain if it is open, suffice to say check the regs. and then check them again.
Rob

palmer
10-20-2009, 05:19 PM
went all the way there no birds, some tracks... there was a foot of snow on the ground at the top. Couple of cariboo running around checked the regs on this area and hunting is allowed for grouse

I am not sure that Stagleap is open to hunting and the area behind it is a no shooting area. I could not find Stagleap in the open section of Parks...You better call the CO.

Palmer

chukar bob
12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Have fun Chuckers are a great game bird....

Howdy:

Just for your information chukars are completely different from grouse.

JCVD
12-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I am not sure that Stagleap is open to hunting and the area behind it is a no shooting area. I could not find Stagleap in the open section of Parks...You better call the CO.

Palmer

OR you can look it up yourself lol http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/stagleap/

yes hunting is allowed there during a lawful hunting season.

chukar bob
10-08-2010, 08:09 PM
looking for info on where to find chukars in the Kamloops area and Keremeos area.

kyleklassen
10-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Howdy:

Just for your information chukars are completely different from grouse.and grouse are different than chukars and ptarmigan.

bearslayer01
10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
i have the exact answer i was sheep hunting there and was glassing from the highway when approached by a co the answer for me was yes u can and he said no after a heated debat and further research we were both righ if u go to the actal park website it says yes it is open to hunting if u go to the web site in the hunting regs and click on the list of parks that u are able to hunt it is not listed so i wouldent be huntign there any more i ruined it for everybody and got sombody at the parks in a lot of trouble just glad i didnt shoot my ram in the park

Gumsehwah
11-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I believe if an official says you can, an it turns out that you can't, it's called "a mistake of fact", and it can be used as a defence in a court of law.

. . .just sayin'

Amphibious
11-24-2011, 03:43 PM
have you eaten any of these ptarmigan? I shot a bunch one winter east of Prince George and they tasted like pine sap and ass. was not impressed.

Jagermeister
11-24-2011, 04:46 PM
have you eaten any of these ptarmigan? I shot a bunch one winter east of Prince George and they tasted like pine sap and ass. was not impressed.I guess that pretty well sums them up, but having never tasted ass, I cannot attest to that.

Foxton Gundogs
11-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Not sure about the Koots but when I hunted Ptarmigan in the Cassiar Country the best time was around the end of Aug. when the birds had started to flock up. Put the dog down and watch the fun they break into smaller groups flying about 200yds then get at them again. You can chase them all afternoon in a small area and pick your shots let the dog have fun and get some serious training done.

jtred
11-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Check out the "Know before you go section" in the website for Stagleap it states that "Hunting is not allowed in Stagleap park." I wanted to hunt up there for rabbits last year so I checked it out. Great place to snowshoe though, has to be one of my favourite places to head to in the winter. Wanted to go snowshoeing on the full moon last year but it just didn't work out.

Foxton Gundogs
11-24-2011, 07:45 PM
have you eaten any of these ptarmigan? I shot a bunch one winter east of Prince George and they tasted like pine sap and ass. was not impressed.
Never eaten pine sap or ass but the ones I got up north in Aug. were very tasty crops full of berries.

Good Old Outdoors
01-08-2012, 03:15 AM
This is great! I never knew you could hunt in approved BC parks! I have been watching a massive whitey for years! The BC Parks website says its open so thats perfect! I dont think too many people know that so thanks for the info.