PDA

View Full Version : Montana or N.Dakota.

longshotz
10-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Been lookin' at the hunting opportunities in Mt. and N. Dkt.
I've hunted birds in southern Sask. for the last 5 years and the amount of deer (Whitetail and Mulies) as well as Pronghorn, not to mention the phenomenal bird shooting lead me to research the 2 states for big game hunting as both are only a 1-2 hour drive south from my present hunt locale in Sask
All I can say is, amazing.
Online research shows both states have an access management plan in place that seems to allows out of state (Canadian) hunters outstanding opportunity.
Mt. has the Block Mngmnt. program and N. Dkt the P.L.O,T.S program which, very simplified, is an access arrangement plan through the F&W Depts. in the respective states with landowner/ranchers to hunt their land.
It seems to be mostly a pre-arrangement gig and, sometimes, "just a drive in and arrange on arrival thing". Still researching this.
My interpretation is that this land for hunting is available in some form or other to anyone, including Canadians, without paying extortionate sums of $'s in the form of a guide fee requirement as is needed in Alberta or Sask to hunt big game and certain birds on crown/public land under the guise of proper game management.( A rip off in my view, and less to do with proper game management than purely $$ profit sanctioned by provincial governments after rolling over to the guide/outfitter interest group lobby)
Looking for someone who has done this and can give some real, been there done that, experience.
**No disrespect intended, but not looking for the "I know someone who did this etc., etc. type of info. Thanks but no thanks.
Rather personal "boots on the ground " input.**
Thanks in advance.
Longshotz

David Heitsman
10-14-2009, 12:01 PM
You might needs to drive down and check it out one time. I'd be surprised if there are any "over the counter drive up" ranch owners tags. They sell these to augment their crop losses etc. Perhaps with the difficult times right now the prices will be reduced.

MT has a draw system for non res but I've never put in for SD.

Hopefully a member here can provide you with more concise information.

You might want to subscribe Garth Carter's Hunter Services. He lists a lot for the do-it yourselfer.

longshotz
10-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the tip.
Did some more looking and it seems that the OTC (over the counter) purchase of big game licenses is only of somewhat limited benefit to the non-resident, in that only certain species in a limited number of areas in a certain time frame and yadah, yadah, yadah, blah, blah, blah etc.
One can enter the non-resident draws (LEH in another language) and take your odds, however the draws are, in my view, prohibitively expensive to participate in.
Have to look more into the ranch owner sponsored tag thing.
Still doing research and have some questions for the Montana F&W people on a couple of issues.
Thanks

longshotz