PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna area UPLAND

Griffon
10-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Hey all, I am planning on going for some upland in the Kelowna area,could anyone give me some general areas to look around in ? Grouse ,chukar,quail?I am looking for someone to hunt with too,so if anyone is interested,I would be glad to hear from you!

Thanks!

mark
10-10-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39293

britman101
10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
As others have mentioned in previous threads, it is getting harder and harder to get access to farmland in the Okanagan. Part of it is the encroachment of subdivisions on farmland so it makes it unsafe to hunt in those areas. Other times I believe it is anti-hunting sentiment which has made hunting very unpopular, so out of sight out of mind mindset has taken place. I know because I grew up in the Vernon area, and the city council there has made discharge of a firearm so restrictive you have to be in the woods before you can shoot at anything. Unfortunately, Pheasants and Quail favour farmland, so that makes getting access very hard. However, at this point of the season I would focus on grouse. Any forest service road in the Dee Lake chain, or the roads in and around Oyama Lake should give you some opportunities before the snow flies.
Then early next year you can begin the door knocking campaign to see if any farmers will grant you hunting access. For me, if I really want to see my dog run, I scoot over to Alberta. Hectare after hectare of land open to the public, and you will see all sorts of birds ranging from pheasant, to sharptail grouse to hungarian partridge. My two cents worth.