PDA

View Full Version : Tidal charts

Archive
01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Never been to Pitt marsh but was wondering if its as tidal as Delta 4shore (Brunswick / Westham). The ducks seem more stationary at certain times.
Anyone else use tide tables?
I only started looking at them after having to paddle hard for what seemed like an eternity up middle arm on an outgoing tide.

Dano
01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
The Pitt Marsh isn't tidal but the water level does change a lot during the season. The Pitt River foreshore all the way up to and including Pitt lake is tidal.
Dano

Victor
01-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Hello,

If you want to check tides, here's a good website- www.waterlevels.gc.ca (http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca)
Knowing what the tides are doing is important, especially when setting up decoys and hunting with a boat. I've been hunting the Fraser last few times, and have had to deal with up to 8 feet of tide differential over the course of the day. If you're not aware of the tide before heading out, you'll be spending more time moving decoys than hunting over them! And after you've dragged your boat thru the soft mud for 50 yards because the tide differential left you high and dry, you'll be careful to check the tide info before heading out. I know because I've had to do it- not much fun:wink:

rudar
01-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Another site I use is
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/ (http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?tplotdir=horiz;type=graph;gx=640;gy=2 40;caltype=ndp;interval=00%3A01;glen=4;fontsize=%2 B0;units=any;tzone=local;ampm24=24;weekday=1;notim es=1;colortext=black;colordatum=white;colormsl=yel low;colortics=red;colorday=skyblue;colornight=deep-%3Cbr%20%2F%3Eskyblue;colorebb=seagreen;colorflood =blue;site=Vancouver%2C%20British%20Columbia)

It's not ``official'', but it makes pretty pictures and looks close enough to the DFO data for hunting purposes. If you're running a unix variant, you can also install a local copy of the server, which I find even more flexible... But neither of these sites will really tell you exactly what's going on further upstream, where the tides will be a bit lower and possibly delayed by some amount.

NEEHAMA
01-09-2006, 02:00 PM
i find at low tide the river will have sand bars exposed. alot of the geese/ducks roosting there may get up and fly after the tide comes up and moves them off. i shoot way more birds at hight tide.
some areas i hunt. i sit there at low tide waiting. then as the water comes in around me waves of birds can follow. (i have also been swamped so be careful). i bought a camo mustang floater jacket it's the way to go.

for me it's all about the tides and weather.

MichelD
01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm new to waterfowling, but after having grown up on the coast, I have found that whether you are a kid playing on the beach, just going for a walk, digging clams, fishing salmon, bird hunting, towboating, working on the log booms or doing anything else near tide water, you gotta know what the tide is doing.

Your life depends on it.