PDA

View Full Version : BC Bison hunting

longshotz
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Looking for some info on non-guided but outfitted Bison hunts in BC.
I know of the LEH for Bison, but what I am looking for is a non-guided but outfitted hunt IE. Have use of the outfitters facilities for accommodation and assistance as needed in getting the critter out.
If they allotted tags for sale so much the better, as the LEH is, as you all know, a rare thing to get!
One qualifier here and it is a biggy.
*Looking for actual, first hand, on-site, boots on the ground, been there done that info*
Thanks for any input you've got.

Longshotz

bighornbob
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Looking for some info on non-guided but outfitted Bison hunts in BC.
I know of the LEH for Bison, but what I am looking for is a non-guided but outfitted hunt IE. Have use of the outfitters facilities for accommodation and assistance as needed in getting the critter out.
If they allotted tags for sale so much the better, as the LEH is, as you all know, a rare thing to get!
One qualifier here and it is a biggy.
*Looking for actual, first hand, on-site, boots on the ground, been there done that info*
Thanks for any input you've got.

Longshotz

As all bison hunting is LEH, getting help from the outfitter is moote without first getting a tag. I had a LEH last year and stayed at the outfitters. Great people and great help. Stayed in their cabin and they cooked me my meals for a very reasonable rate I was even taken out for a few days but you are still hunting on your own for the most part.

I think they sell bison hunts for like $6500. That gets you a tag, food, accomadation and help once the meat hits the ground. You can try and phone the outfitters and see if they have left over tags they may sell you a lot cheaper but that is just the tag. if you want the full meal deal it will probably cost you $6500. But you nevr know, give them a call.

BHB

bigwhiteys
10-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Rhyason Buffalo Ranch in FSJ...

It's not a wild herd, but the ranch is so large they might as well be... Spot and Stalk to your hearts content.

I think it's about $600 for a yearling or 2 year old now... More for the bigger bulls... They have a bunkhouse you can sleep in...

It can be as easy or as difficult as you want it at their place.

Carl

GoatGuy
10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Rhyason Buffalo Ranch in FSJ...

It's not a wild herd, but the ranch is so large they might as well be... Spot and Stalk to your hearts content.

I think it's about $600 for a yearling or 2 year old now... More for the bigger bulls... They have a bunkhouse you can sleep in...

It can be as easy or as difficult as you want it at their place.

Carl

The last I was told is that this is a grey area. Might find yourself in a bit of trouble.

I'd check it out with the COS first.

Don't kill the messenger.

bigwhiteys
10-07-2009, 12:02 PM
The last I was told is that this is a grey area. Might find yourself in a bit of trouble. I'd check it out with the COS first. Don't kill the messenger.

They are a ranchers private stock, if it's a grey area then there are quite a few ranchers around FSJ that are potentially in trouble.

Carl

GoatGuy
10-07-2009, 12:19 PM
They are a ranchers private stock, if it's a grey area then there are quite a few ranchers around FSJ that are potentially in trouble.

Carl

That's what I said. :neutral:

longshotz
10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks all for the info., but reading it I get the impression (correct me if I'm wrong here) that the respondents haven't actually hunted them.
I have heard of the ranch hunts and have not really pursued them as they seem to be a canned hunt, however I will look into the ranch thing as mentioned.
Still looking for info from someone who has "ben there, done that".
Thanks anyways people.

d6dan
10-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I did a ranch hunt in 2004. Now I'm disabled so I have to shoot from the truck. A friend of mine owns the Bison Ranch and i asked him , how do we go about this? he says, go check this area and that area. If you see this Bull, then shoot him if not I've got another one i want removed from the herd over here.

Do you see how it works?. Anyway i shot a 5yr old. nice bull weighed in at 947lbs on the hook. skinned and quartered. The beauty of a farmed,free ranging bison is their tender!!.

Good luck to you.. now i'm out of here, heading north for my cow moose today...

David Heitsman
10-08-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't think the outfitter(s) can sell a quota'd tag and not guide the specie.

bighornbob
10-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks all for the info., but reading it I get the impression (correct me if I'm wrong here) that the respondents haven't actually hunted them.
I have heard of the ranch hunts and have not really pursued them as they seem to be a canned hunt, however I will look into the ranch thing as mentioned.
Thanks anyways people.

I have actually hunted them, last year. Drew a tag and stayed with the outfitter.

BHB

bigwhiteys
10-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Ben, there, Done that, on several ranch Buffalo... Want to see the video :lol: ?

They taste every bit as good if not better then the wild ones... Grain Fed :)

Carl

bridger
10-19-2009, 02:42 AM
I don't think the outfitter(s) can sell a quota'd tag and not guide the specie.

quota tags are good for either resident or non resident hunters. if a resident can pay the price of the tag and opts to go without the guide services that is legal. the other avenue is to get an assistant guides license for the outfitters area and buy the tag from the outfitter as long as u r a resident.

hntcrazy
10-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Give Dixie and Mike Hammett(sp) a call I think they run 7k or so but as Dave said they have to guide you ,.......

longshotz
10-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Ben, there, Done that, on several ranch Buffalo... Want to see the video :lol: ?

They taste every bit as good if not better then the wild ones... Grain Fed :)

Carl
Love to see it, but not sure how to on the site.
My computer skills are not up to the same standard as my shooting skills.
So, how to see it?

Gregg