PDA

View Full Version : Want to hunt sask.

bozzdrywall
10-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi all well the next big thing on my to do list is a sask white tail hunt, with a rifle. So any info would be great. From where to go and yes i want hot spots LOL. I am looking for the open season dates after i post this but if you know please share. this will be a first time so iam wanting to do it right. I dont plan on taking a small buck i want a wall hanger or nothing at all. I can shoot a meat buck down here if i want to any day of the week but a monster is what i want. After the year I have had so far a big buck is next. Any info will help. Thanks :cool:

Blainer
10-01-2009, 07:15 PM
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=8155f538-6052-4598-a799-d1209c01a1e9 (http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=8155f538-6052-4598-a799-d1209c01a1e9)

There was a thread started a couple days ago regarding the same info.
Search out of province hunts.
Hope this helps

Manglinmike
10-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I just read in the new Big Buck mag. that the gov. has introduced a new trespass law in Sask., and it doesnt sound good for the non resedent hunters.I have also read that they arnt to fond of out of prov. hunters there anymore.

bearass
10-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I have hunted sask three times for whitetails. I would have to say I have not met one land owner that I didn,t like.99% of the land owners we talk to are very helpfull. What I would suggest is figure out were you want to go hunting.there are big bucks all over the province.there are alot more big ones in the north.So figure out were you want to hunt first, next get the R.N. map for that area.Then show up in the area two days before the season starts, on the saturday.Go and buy your tags first. some years it has been hard to find a place that sells tags and if you show up on sunday they are not open and then you spend the first morning of your hunt buying your tag. Then go out on sunday and scout from morning to dark and ask as many people for permission as you can.When and if they give you permission ,hylight the sections on the R.N. map that they let you hunt on with a hyghlighter so you don,t forget.After a few years you get to know them and getting permission gets easyer and easyer.Also if you go out on the sunday to ask for permission you are more likely to find the people at home. The R.N. map will also give you the location of the land owners residence. I hope this helps.

bearass
10-01-2009, 10:15 PM
O ya if the buck looks like he is 300 yards away he,s more like 500

Pack an extra box of shells :-D lol

barry6.5x55
10-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Here are some hints it really helps if you know someone out there because the best areas are on farmland that borders the Northern forest area and areas that have the Saskatchewan River near by for cover. I have been here for 20 years now and the great thing about BC is all the crown land available to you so having a local guy who knows the farmers and can get permission is invaluable.

North Battleford has an area called BelJennie that is where I shot a Boone and Crockett also Whitko and Glaslynn are good. There is an area North of Saskatoon called Shell Lake and South of Saskatoon called Dundurn.
Borden is also fantastic. Hatherlie is also good basically on a map use Meadow Lake as the farthest North point and most areas about 75 - 100 miles South of that are great ...than stop dont bother with the Southern part as that is Antelope - Mule deer area.

If I remember the deer season is in Nov so it can easily be - 20 at times and with a wind its cold. The big bucks can really only be had in the rut as big racks are usually at least 5-8 yrs old and are fairly clever especially if they survived a near miss. They bolt right away and a lot of bucks in Sask are taken on the run so get ready to shoot at running deer and I mean running they don't lope away like Mulies. A good sign is if you are in an area and you start seeing lots of displaced fawns standing around get ready as that means the rut is going strong as the Big Bucks first chase the spring fawns away from the does so they go into heat again.

Forgive my spelling on some of the names of those towns its been a while but really I do suggest you try to hook up with someone local, perhaps there is a website like this in Sask and you can trade a hunt with someone from out there who may want to try something like Goat or Elk . I still know guys out there who are serious big rack guys and next year may go back as my mothers house is in North Battleford and we still own it.

Good Luck

longshotz
10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I've hunted the area around LaFleche for the past 5 years for birds and honestly see as many deer there on any given day as I do in a 10+ day hunt here in BC.
NO comparison. Its a whole different league.
And that includes the biiiiig boys!
Never, say again, never had a problem with access. In fact I have been invited to hunt on farms after striking up a conversation in restaurants, shops and other services in and around LaFleche.
Then again my wife says that I have the "gift of the gab".
On the topic of access, I strongly suggest that you stay at the Flying Goose Inn in LaFleche. Larry and Ev are the owners and are well known in the area. This helps access issues immeasurably.
Still, if you approach for access, respect and politeness will win the day.
Only issue is the Whitetail for Canadian residents season is the last week on Nov. The big boys are super smart and wary. Long range shots are the order of the day, (close range is 200 yards, and counting) and oft times running on after burner.
It can and often is Verrrrrrry friggin' cold !
Minus 15 to 20 and 15-40 KMH wind chill. Better have a block heater in your vehicle and make sure your gun is in top shape for arctic temp. operation.
You might try further north for earlier openings for both rifle and especially muzzle loader.
Haven't hunted there myself, but locals in LaFleche say that is a better early season deal than around LaFleche if you from out of province.
Good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

Savage Man
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I have been two times and both times it was -30 and the wind was blowing. The first year the drifts were 5ft. high and snow above your knees on the flat, very tough hunting but saw a couple hogs. I have never seen deer like this in my life , tough with the weather but a great time. Be prepared for the weather and look north of Saskatoon .

Buck
10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Just like to thank you guys for posting this great info.I have an interest in hun ting there as i just got back from Pheasant hunting in Montana and was curios while travelling through Sask.Are antelope open to Non residents?

cainer
10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Without actually looking at the regs-i think you can only hunt on the farmland areas from Nov 25-30. It's divided up into zones in Sask, so you really need to figure out what you're going to do before the 25th, as it doesn't leave much time.
You can hunt in the forested areas north of Tobin lake (i think) earlier in the month, so why not give that a shot first, and then pop around to some farms after the day of hunting and introduce yourself. Days'll be short by then so plenty of time to hit the farms after dark to seek permission.
Don't forget your colors! you can only wear orange, white or yellow from the waist up. (no white on the head though) - also, i thought i heard you can hunt on sundays now too-not sure about that though.
Blast a biggun! I might see you out there in Nov.

Twobucks
10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I've hunted Sask WT's several times - and it can be freakin' cold at the end of Nov. When the weather gets really tough, you need partners to help push bush.

As for your license - you can order it online through the Sask gov't website. It takes about three weeks, but then you've got your tags before you leave.

I hunted teh Dundurn pasture south of Saskatoon a couple of times - we found it crowded with other hunters and one year there was a crust on ths snow that warned everything within 500 yrds that we were coming.

Never had a problem with access - lots of public land, a few farm fields are posted, but people are friendly. Just be considerate where you drive and make sure you close gates and give farm yards a wide berth.

My only other tip applies to the grainlands - the big bucks will often hole up in what you'd think was mulie country, then work their way down through the draws and coulies in late afternoon.

buckwild76
10-25-2009, 02:30 PM
getting a license in sk. is relatively easy, but you need to check out the regs. on where and when us out of province guys can/can't hunt. check out this wb site for the info. www.environment.gov.sk.ca (http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca) I am leaving on Nov.17 to hunt Alberta for 5 days then on to Sk. in zone 47 for 5 days. Knowing a seasoned Sk resident will definitely help you out. If you got the dough it is well worth it to try an outfitter in the province, last year I went just outside of Peirceland to Log Cabin Outfitters, well worth the money. Experienced guide, awesome food, LOTS of big game. Hope this helps, good luck!

Hotshoe
10-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Enjoy the current regs while you can, apparently next year will require a Canadian resident to either enter a draw or have a hunter host just like AB and BC require currently.

pete_k
10-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Talk to the guys at Frontier Firearms in Prince Albert.