PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Elk down

mountainman
10-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Well I got a tip from a friend of mine where a bull had been bugling, he actually had the bull come in to him cow calling on Sunday but was not able to close the deal on him. He is unable to get out hunting again till the weekend after this one, and looking more for moose he gave me directions to where I could find the bull.

So Wednesday morning found me well before sunrise up and out of bed with the truck loaded with the bugle and cow calls rolling down the road to the area where the bull was.
I slowly made my way up the line where the bull was last seen, the temperature was perfect with a slight dusting of snow in the higher elevations.
I cow called as I slowly made my way up the line, 3/4s the way to the end of the line I saw a very fresh scrap and decided to try the bugle. No answer from the bull.
So I decided to head out and check another line in the same area. With no luck in the area I went for a drive to check another area, seeing only a couple moose. Which I relayed to my friend later that morning (his brother inlaw took one that evening)

So I headed into town for some lunch and see if I could round up a second guy for the hunt. One of my friends decided to come along as he had an elk tag also. We split up and I went down the same line as I had in the morning slowly walking and cow calling with 3 different cow calls the hoochie momma, the cow girl and a screery cow call.

Once I got to where the scrape was I sat down for a while and cow called thinking I might get the attention of the bull hopefully coming around to check his line. After about 10 minutes I thought I would walk to the end of the line and see if anything was hanging around. As I started to walk I decided to let rip with a big bugle from the terminator bugle.

Being half deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other I thought I heard the high end and growl of an elk. I let out another bugle and bam right away I have an answer and he is moving fast towards me. Being on the wrong side of the line and not having time to move off the line I crouched down in some tall grass and watch. i can hear him crashing in the bush accross from me. I let out another bugle and he screams back at me and is he mad now.

I can just make out the tan body as he works through the bush towards the line. I put up my .300 Weatherby and watch through the Zeiss scope as he works through the thick bush to the more open forest on the edge of the line. He stops just behind a small spruce with just enough of his head sticking out to count points 6 on one side 3 more then I need for a legal bull. He slowly looks in the line for his opponent unable to see him he walks ahead into an opening and the .300 WBY barks and he humps up and starts to run back into the bush.

I watch for a minute as he disappears into the bush, as I am watching he disappearsand a small tree starts to thrash about ELK DOWN! As I walked up to him I could see he was a nice 6x6. Perfect bullet placement right through the lungs.

I walked back to the truck got the quad and pulled him out to the truck and began field dressing him.
Elk back to the truck by 6:30pm, dressed out at 7:30 and loaded by 8:30 back in town by 9:30.
All in all one heck of a day.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/mountainman1/JoesElk09.jpg

Blainer
10-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Nothing like a happy ending.
Good on ya!

jrjonesy
10-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Congratulations! Solid mass on him.

d6dan
10-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Congrats Mountainman! thats a great bull..thanks for sharing:-D

Leaseman
10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Way to go Joe!

Nice looking animal.... now maybe you can come out here and help Steve with his moose.....:wink:

srupp
10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Great job done as usual Joe..looks like a good bull...

ya ya Mike..just cuz YOU wouldnt come up...:mrgreen:..

G'DAY MATE..

Steven

elk74
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Nice looking bull ,Sounds like it was a fun hunt.Thanks for the story.

mountainman
10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Way to go Joe!

Nice looking animal.... now maybe you can come out here and help Steve with his moose.....:wink:
I know Steve needs help but thought it was from a Dr. not me :biggrin: Heck of a packer and seems this year the moose love me seen some big bulls around here lately. I am free for the most part from the 7th of Oct as the wife is going to work. Did promise the guy that gave me the tip that I would help with his moose though!
must be that dang strike is over now Steve actually has to work :roll: :twisted:

kennyj
10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Great story!Love it when a plan comes together.
kenny

Leaseman
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Great job done as usual Joe..looks like a good bull...

ya ya Mike..just cuz YOU wouldnt come up...:mrgreen:..

G'DAY MATE..

Steven

I wasn't invited......;)

So how is your month off going so far Steve? And when did you get home from down under Joe??

mountainman
10-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I got home on the 19th 2 days into our season. I should be going back in a couple weeks I do believe.

plumbob
10-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Great job joe,you can't complain at that one at all.congrats