PDA

View Full Version : pse bow tuning

turns
09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
hey fellow hunters i have a question for you bow experts out there, i bought a new pse stinger bow a week ago and had it tuned and set up at a particular new store in nanaimo, and after noticed that my split limb were the idler wheel is attached were uneven and the idler wheel was canted over close to 3/8ths of an inch, now i took it back in and showed it to the bow tech and he gave me a really hard time about it and said it was fine like that and i basically had to force him to even it up so the limb wasnt twisted along with the wheel. now the question is, was he right saying it was fine to shoot all twisted up like that or should i go somewhere else to have my bow work done?

willyqbc
09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Cam lean is common in most bows due to the fact that the cables are being pulled to the side to go through the cable slide. Many people don't bother fixing it....I am not one of them. Its such an easy fix there is no need to leave it leaning. In cases of extreme lean I have seen the string derail at the shot due to the fact that at full draw the string is not directly behind the track on the cam. The more common result I see from cam lean is the arrow fishtailing due to the left/right movement in the string as it moves forward. This can make a bow difficult to tune and you will often end up with a less than perfect tune as a result. Long and short of it is that you can fix cam lean in a matter of a few minutes and your set-up will be much better for it.

As always...just my opinion
Chris

turns
09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
thanks for the reply willy, thats kinda what i thought, i new it wasnt right and also a quick fix, i am also not impressed at all with the bowtech for not taking the little amount of time it took to correct it (with me standing over top of him to get it right), after paying upwards of 700$ to buy the bow from this store. that will be the last time i buy anything from this place.

Foxtail
09-25-2009, 11:32 AM
It's hard to find good bow techs. The really good ones don't work at shops and are just self schooled/learned and treat it as more of a hobby. The point I'm trying to make is, it's better to learn how to tune/fix your own stuff. If that isn't an option for you, go to your local archery club and ask around. There is usually a few guys that would be willing to help you out.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
My opinion is the same as Willys ....

Most think that a little cam lean is ok .... and it is if you are just out to hit a 9" pie plate at 20 yards sort of deal .... if you wanna consistantly hit the tick on the hair on that moose at 20 yards ... you best correct it

Bow Walker
09-25-2009, 09:49 PM
For what it's worth, I agree with Chris and Mike. :mrgreen:

:eek: Yup, I'm actually going "on record" as agreeing with Mike, right off the bat and right outta da gate. Shock ya BZM? :wink: :smile:

Bigbear
09-26-2009, 05:38 AM
It's The same at our shop here , It only take a few min to fix cam lean. It's a regular part of out Bow tune ups.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-26-2009, 10:16 AM
For what it's worth, I agree with Chris and Mike. :mrgreen:

:eek: Yup, I'm actually going "on record" as agreeing with Mike, right off the bat and right outta da gate. Shock ya BZM? :wink: :smile:

not really .... if you take enough beatings you will eventully come around ;)

Eagle1
09-27-2009, 08:16 AM
If a cam or idler wheel is leaning and can be straightened up, it should be.
It puts pressure on one side of the axle and creates friction, straighten it up and it runs smooth and proably gains a little speed. If every thing runs true and smooth there is less wear on the parts and less chance of a part failer.
Would you leave the tire on your car running at an angle{cam lean} NO, you'd get it fixed so it runs true.