PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops chukar

Tuffcity
09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Heading up that way either 8/9th of October or 13/14th. I'd like to get my green as grass 11 month old GSP on to some birds. Was thinking about the west end of Kamloops Lake / Savona area. Good choice or waste of time? (for the area- remains to be seen about the dog ;))

thanks,
RC

PGK
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Chukar = devil bird. I don't know too much about bird dogs, but a green as grass pup probably isn't the best dog for the hardest upland game bird bc has to offer.

Tuffcity
09-24-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm going to introduce him to some ruffies in the Okanagan as well. He's got drive and a good nose so we'll see. :)

Moose72
09-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I was just hunting sheep there and didn't see a damn bird. Lotsa cactus in there so it'd be pretty hard on a dog.

Buck
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
You got to have boots on that dog or you won"t be there 2 minutes.

LeverActionJunkie
09-24-2009, 10:56 PM
+1 on the boots for your pup. Check out the east end of the lake, the rocky hillside all along the railroad tracks has produced chukars for me in the past. I haven't hunted them for quite a while since my friends Brittany passed.

Also along the tracks down river of Ashcroft produced for us, but some places you will need permission.

Best of luck they are lots of fun. If you can't kick up any chukars along the lake, head up the hillside into the trees for some blues:)

Tuffcity
09-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Having lived up that way years ago I know all to well about cactus! Dog boots are going. :)

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

zaconb
09-27-2009, 01:44 PM
I hit the Savona area 3 times a year for the "devil birds" and have a great time. Lots of cacti and I mean lots! Tough on man and dog, I talked to the Ministry Biologist there and he sent me to the Walhachin area and accross from Juniper beach lots for birds less cacti! This year i'm towing a boat and trying some new areas and camping. good luck!

Griffon
10-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey I am hunting around the area for upland too,anybody got any tips on good places to try for upland?

how about between Kamloops and Kelowna?

thanks for any info,or if anyone wants to connect that would be great!

I have a young dog too.

thanks!

chukar bob
11-08-2010, 08:52 AM
+1 on the boots for your pup. Check out the east end of the lake, the rocky hillside all along the railroad tracks has produced chukars for me in the past. I haven't hunted them for quite a while since my friends Brittany passed.

Also along the tracks down river of Ashcroft produced for us, but some places you will need permission.

Best of luck they are lots of fun. If you can't kick up any chukars along the lake, head up the hillside into the trees for some blues:)

Hi:

I know there is not much time left in the already short season bu t if you would like to shoot over my champion shorthair you are welcome. I know a couple of places but you probly know others.

cheers,

bob
250 491 1795
212 7031 Kelowna

cmgustafson
04-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Bumping this thread as I plan on heading up to Walhachin for the opening of Fly only on the Thompson. Eager to scout around the tracks across from Juniper beach for Chukar season. My only problem is I don't have a dog. Is it even worth it? Cheers.

Foxton Gundogs
04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Bumping this thread as I plan on heading up to Walhachin for the opening of Fly only on the Thompson. Eager to scout around the tracks across from Juniper beach for Chukar season. My only problem is I don't have a dog. Is it even worth it? Cheers.

U can walk up birds but they are runners and it's kinda a futile effort imo but I have never hunted that particular area and always have a dog or 4 so maybe someone can shed more light on the walk up aspect.

Good Luck

.300wsm
04-26-2011, 05:31 PM
boots and pliers or thick gloves those cactus suck trying to pull out of their feet and wherever else they end up.

Cariboo Game Calls
04-28-2011, 11:15 AM
If anyone needs a new set of Avery Dog Boots, I have a set of large ones for sale that will be on my table at the Kamloops Show this weekend. I bought the boots online for my chocolate lab, but this feet are far too big for them. I've got them packed away with all my duck and goose calls already, however I believe the price tag on them is around $16.00. If you are interested, just look for tables C-106 & C-107 in Area C which is the building on your right when you come through the admission door. You can't miss my tables, they are at the northwest end of the building and there will be a couple of hundred vintage/collector game calls layed out on them.