PDA

View Full Version : Alberta wild boar hunting

longshotz
09-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Would like some accurate,real time, real experience, actual boots-on-the ground info. on hunting alberta wild boar.
Not looking for a canned hunt, rather a true fair chase gig.
Where to go, when, accommodations....the usual stuff that hunts are planned around.
Pix would be great and thanks all.

4570hunter
09-24-2009, 12:52 PM
They are raised on farms restricted by fences as per law in Alberta so no chance of not getting a canned hunt. No wild Boars either if they escape farmers are to contact F & W ASAP or face fines and hunters got and kill them all. Same goes for Buffalo. Escapes are treated like the plague and are shot on sight. This is to protect the natural wildlife surroundings. I have been on one of those round ups for Buffalo, farmers claim a break out insurance pays and the hunters get to shot them all. Nice meat!
They are Russian Boar and charge about $400.00 to shoot them and they are tough, aim straight.

3kills
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
i was just talkin to my cousin and his wife not to long ago and where they live there is a bounty on a bunch of them..

09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
There are always some that escape, but they are few and far between as most get shot within a day or two of escaping. For a true wild hunt you need to go to a place like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/1899/boar.jpg

The picture was taken in the former Yugoslavia.

BruceW
09-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Seems 80% of people hunt in Ab(not really that many), but everyone within driving distance of where the bounties are/were has looked for them.
Occassionally I hear of someone getting one, but I personally think the "wild ones" were pretty much turned into bacon before the rest of us heard about it. Not that there may not be some, but unless you're living in the area I doubt you'd be successfull.

There are two places I've heard of that offer hunts, one is I believe around Mayerthorpe, and if I'm not mistaken they have only a 1/4 section and offer bow or rented crossbow hunts. Just do a search for Alberta Boar Hunting, should come up.
The other I heard of once, but can't track it down. I heard it was somewhere in E central Ab, and offered hunts with everything from a spear(thats right, a spear!) to a rifle. Unfortunately I didn't get a name.

09-24-2009, 07:55 PM
You are not thinking of the one by Carrot Creek (near Niton Junction) are you? That one was run by a fantastic family on a 3600 acre piece of land. Unfortunately they sold it some time ago and I doubt there is any hunting left.

EvanG
09-24-2009, 10:09 PM
The one in mayerthrope starts their hunts at around $600 but I believe it may be bow only. I think they have an ad in the regs

Blacktail
09-26-2009, 11:31 AM
the one in mayerthorpe is Hog Wild Specialties
run by Earl and Debbie Hagman
bowhunting for boars

tollfree in Canada 1-888-668-9453

Also in the regs is an ad by Savage Encounters
403-722-3435
www.savageencounters.com (http://www.savageencounters.com)

Wild one
09-26-2009, 02:57 PM
The only guys I met in Alberta that shot the boars that got loose had farmers that would phone them and tell them when they showed up in there property. If you want to hunt them I think you are better of going to a fenced hunt.

MikeH
10-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm originally from Edmonton hunt the area where the boars are.Families been hunting this area for almost 30 yrs.The bounty on them is from the county of Mayerthorpe 50 bucks for a pair of ears the pigs are a pest.The numbers are not high in this area anymore been thinned out:twisted:.All the land out there is private land.Miss hunting back home moose, deer ,elk ,trophy mule and white tail deer and chickens oh and yeah bacon.

wow $400 to shoot those damn things lol mine were all free.Some of the land family hunts is next to a Buffalo pen seen many deer and elk trapped inside.

IronNoggin
10-04-2009, 02:31 AM
The only guys I met in Alberta that shot the boars that got loose had farmers that would phone them and tell them when they showed up in there property.

aYup! 8)
i guide in some of the areas of question, and have for a handfull of years. We can count on one hand how many "boars" we've taken...

Make damn SURE it;s "free range" before you fire Ladz! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

sako_sniper81
01-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Anyone have solid info of where wild boars have been located in the cecil lake area, I would like to do tracking for them but this area is huge and a guy could definitely spend several years looking and never really see sign. Any info would really help.

IronNoggin
01-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I've hunted and guided in Alberta for a considerable period of time now - working on 3 decades actually. Amongst our crew we have taken 3 boars over that time period - one on Milk River Ridge (a buddy and myself) and the other two west of Edmonton. All three were simply a case of running across them when in pursuit of different game. Only ever saw one other group, that 2 years ago. They (a boar, sow and 7 piglets) although feral, were on posted land. By the time we got the required permission and returned, they had fled to points unknown.

We cover a LOT of ground out there each year, and I can verify that the Province is anything but over-run with them.

For any reasonable chance of success, you'd be looking at a "farmed" style hunt as noted by those above.

Cheers,
Nog

Barracuda
01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
wouldnt mind dogging a few and useing a spear or knife.:mrgreen:

wildprotien
01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the input.
Seems from the drift of the replies is that there is more hype than fact in this boar hunting thing.
If you read the stuff from Alberta, it sounds like they are overrunning the province by breeding like........well like boars; 2-3 litters a year and 4-6 piglets each time, crop damage, attacking domestic animals and in some cases (unconfirmed) people, etc., etc.
Indeed the "problem" seems to have taken on the parameters of scourge proportions.
Have sent email inquiry to Sustainable Resources Alberta about the Boar problem and the details hunting them. Will post it when I get a reply.
Thanks again.

Looking forward to the info you get pls post it as I would like to hunt boar some day .

Springer
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Being an Albertan I know lots of other Albertans asking the same question of where to hunt the escapees. My younger brother lives at Bergen,south of Sundre and he has killed 2. He says they are tough to hunt and locate . My older brother who lives near Nipawin Sask showed me video footage last week of a bunch of escapees. I plan on going to Sask before the snow is gone and try my luck.

yes there are the canned hunts and i am sure it would be fun for a weekend to do one. The prices i saw at the Sportsmen show last March were way more than $400. I think it depends on Hog size.

Good luck.

Lillypuff
02-21-2010, 11:36 AM
There are those rotten pigs in the Keg River, Manning area in the North we have killed a couple in the past. I am sure there is now a bounty on them

luckynuts
03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
[quote=Blacktail;520299]the one in mayerthorpe is Hog Wild Specialties
run by Earl and Debbie Hagman
bowhunting for boars

tollfree in Canada 1-888-668-9453

A good friend of mine just got back from there. He was done in 2 days. He was looking for a larger boar that had teeth exposed and finally connected. He took his with his 300wm. dressed out around 170-175#

He said most guys sit in tree stands and wait but he likes to walk and the big boys are in the thick shit. only problem is so are the sows and little ones. Must be quick on your feet if you run into them. He said he had a chance a a really big one but gave him the slip. Also watch out when walking by the hay bales they like to tunnel into them and can surprise you when your not expecting it:-D

The owner and his whole family are great people apparently, and you can rent cabins for 25 bucks a night I was told.

Have fun.

W.

buck buster1
06-21-2012, 12:16 AM
i spent 6 months in saskatchewan last year, while there i did some recon on wild boars, as it turns out some areas of saskatchewan have severe feral pig problems, however they are extremely hard to track, and extremely hard to hunt. basically what i learned was that youd better be ready to travel far, hunt hard, and come back empty handed.