PDA

View Full Version : Pellet gun for hunting Grouse?

mijinkal
09-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey guys and Gals,
Just wonderin if it is legal to shoot grouse with a pellet gun. My buddy just got a 1000fps .22 pellet gun and I know it'll pack enough punch to take down a grouse. I was thinking of getting one because they're much quieter to use so I won't have to worry much about spooking the big game in the area. I just didn't see it anywhere in the regs or by using search here about hunting with a pellet gun.

DBM
09-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes, it's legal. I sent an email to a conservation officer 3 weeks ago and he said for grouse it's fine.

just-one-shot
09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
If you are worried about sound then us a 22 rifle and get a box of CB shells. They are alot quieter than the 22 longs or the shorts in my opinion.Have worked for me for years cause I do not have a .410 yet.

Dually
09-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Pellet guns are good to go, as longas they are rifles. I don't think you are allowed to hunt with the pistols. I killed my first probably 10 grouse when I was a kid with a 177 pellet gun and I don't think it even shot 500ft per second , so that 22 pellet will definately be more than enouph.

mijinkal
09-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the quick response guys.
Does anybody have any supporting documents that I can look at? I don't want to tell my hunting partner that the guys on the internet said it's ok so it must be fine.

huntcoop
09-23-2009, 10:33 AM
......I don't think you are allowed to hunt with the pistols.....

Can anyone confirm this, I have a wicked Webley Tempest .22 cal pellet pistol that would be awesome to carry for grouse.

goatdancer
09-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Can anyone confirm this, I have a wicked Webley Tempest .22 cal pellet pistol that would be awesome to carry for grouse.

Read the regs. It's there.

huntcoop
09-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Read the regs. It's there.

Found it, thanx.

09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
well?????????
im not near my regs
can you or not use a hand pellet gun?

Gateholio
09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
well?????????
im not near my regs
can you or not use a hand pellet gun?

Welllll

If you are near your computer, you can look up the regs online.

BC prohibits the use of a handgun for hunting.

09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
damn i was really close to the computer. like really close

Dhegg
09-23-2009, 09:19 PM
My son, uses my old .177 Beeman rifle. He keeps us well fed on our weekend excursions. Works great, just aim for the head!!

David Heitsman
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
I have one of those RWS magnum 52's that shoots a .22 calibre pellet and I have to say that the grouse fly off with the pellet as often as not. If they are hit in the breast there isn't enough impact to knock them over or really stun them.

A head shot is always mortal and a wing shot will cripple them till you can wring their neck. I keep mine on the quad as it is quieter than a 22 rimfire.

As far as hunting with a pellet gun. I had to register it so as far as I'm concerned that makes it legal to hunt with. It was also a real hassle importing it too as I didn't realize that it exceeded the fps' requiring it to be licensed.

Kids like shooting them as well.

bogtrotter
09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Page 16 has "Legal Hunting Methods " listed by species. No mention is made of pellet guns. The definitions include pellet guns and handguns and aBB guns as "Firearms" but that does not make it legal to use any of them.
I would be careful on this one.

Gateholio
09-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Page 16 has "Legal Hunting Methods " listed by species. No mention is made of pellet guns. The definitions include pellet guns and handguns and aBB guns as "Firearms" but that does not make it legal to use any of them.
I would be careful on this one.

It also doesn't list rocks, spears, sticks, but they are all legal to hunt with.

If pellet guns are ILLEGAL to hunt with, there would be an actual law written down prohibiting it.

Steeleco
09-25-2009, 06:50 PM

I have the Hurricane and would love to use it, but stupid people make stupid rules!:wink::wink:

huntcoop
09-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I have the Hurricane and would love to use it, but stupid people make stupid rules!:wink::wink:

No kidding, I'd love to pack that in the boosh, silent shooting for the grouse while deer hunting.

DBM
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Here's my email from the C.O., I've cut and pasted it - his response is in the first line.

Use a pellet or a single shot rifle is fine for grouse in BC. Hope this helps

Kevin Van DammeConservation OfficerClearwater, B.C.Office: 250-587-6679Cel: 250-318-5992Fax: 250-587-6559e-mail: Kevin.Vandamme@ gov.bc.ca

Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:55 PM
To: VanDamme, Kevin ENV:EX
Subject: Legal Grouse Hunting Methods

Good Morning Sir

I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I've been trying to figure out if using a slingshot or pellet rifle (.177 cal) are legal hunting methods for grouse here in B.C. It doesn't state in the synopsis that these are legal methods, but it doesn't mention them being illegal either. It'd be much easier, and cheaper, than shooting them with the bow.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ElkMasterC
09-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Here's my email from the C.O., I've cut and pasted it - his response is in the first line.

Use a pellet or a single shot rifle is fine for grouse in BC. Hope this helps

Kevin Van DammeConservation OfficerClearwater, B.C.Office: 250-587-6679Cel: 250-318-5992Fax: 250-587-6559e-mail: Kevin.Vandamme@ gov.bc.ca

Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:55 PM
To: VanDamme, Kevin ENV:EX
Subject: Legal Grouse Hunting Methods

Good Morning Sir

I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I've been trying to figure out if using a slingshot or pellet rifle (.177 cal) are legal hunting methods for grouse here in B.C. It doesn't state in the synopsis that these are legal methods, but it doesn't mention them being illegal either. It'd be much easier, and cheaper, than shooting them with the bow.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Right beside the "Submit Reply" button, there's a "Preview Post" button.

Just throwin' that out there......

bogtrotter
09-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Mijankel,

If I was you, I would seriously wonder what a judge might think if you showed up in court waving DBM's scrambled email and claiming " I have it on good authority".

I admit that it is unlikely for a CO to concern himself with people shooting grouse with pellet guns given all the thieving carnage going on in BC right now.

But I still think that the section of the regs entitled "Legal Hunting Methods" is where you should start your search regarding pellet guns. Rimfire is allowed, centrefire is allowed, shotguns are allowed. No mention of pellet guns, spears, rocks, vehicles, slingshots etc.

Gateholio
09-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Mijankel,

If I was you, I would seriously wonder what a judge might think if you showed up in court waving DBM's scrambled email and claiming " I have it on good authority".

I admit that it is unlikely for a CO to concern himself with people shooting grouse with pellet guns given all the thieving carnage going on in BC right now.

But I still think that the section of the regs entitled "Legal Hunting Methods" is where you should start your search regarding pellet guns. Rimfire is allowed, centrefire is allowed, shotguns are allowed. No mention of pellet guns, spears, rocks, vehicles, slingshots etc.

The regulations synopsis is not the law. The "legal hunting methods" section shows what is illegal (rimfires for big game for instance) and it also shows common legal methods. It does NOT show every legal weapon to hunt with.

There is no restriction on pellet rifles, rocks/sticks/spears in the BC Wildlife Act, which is actual law.

Please study the Act, you will find no law against it.

bogtrotter
09-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Gatehouse,

How can you say that the "Legal Hunting Methods" section of the regs only shows the illegal methods ?

Think about it.

green machine
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
here we go again

Paulyman
09-25-2009, 09:51 PM
It says in the regs that legal hunting methods for Grouse are shotgun,cenrefire and rimfire.Hoe does hunting with a pelletgun or slingshot fall into the above categories???

Gateholio
09-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Gatehouse,

How can you say that the "Legal Hunting Methods" section of the regs only shows the illegal methods ?

Think about it.

Clearly YOU shoudl think about it!:mrgreen:

Go to the BC Wildlife Act and show us which section prohibits shooting a grouse with a pellet rifle

*Hint* you will not be able to find it becasue no such law exists.:wink::wink:

Gateholio
09-25-2009, 10:22 PM
It says in the regs that legal hunting methods for Grouse are shotgun,cenrefire and rimfire.Hoe does hunting with a pelletgun or slingshot fall into the above categories???

It says that in the Synopsis..which is not the law.

another hint * They do not say 'with the exclusion of all other methods*:-D

Amphibious
09-26-2009, 06:50 AM
so if your pellet pistol is sub 500fps, then it is not a firearm, how does that make it a handgun?

a spear can be operated single handed.... as can a rock....

hmmmm

Steeleco
09-26-2009, 07:21 AM
I thought like you, if I don't use my fancy pellets, it's sub 500fps, but they have that covered too.

Handgun – is a firearm that is designed,
altered or intended to be aimed and fired by
the action of one hand or that has a barrel
less than 305 mm (12 in.) in length.The rule is plain stupid, but I suppose they are trying to save us from ourselves. LOL

Don't anyone tell them they make "pistol grips" for shotties!!!!

Amphibious
09-26-2009, 07:41 AM
but all firearms in this country must be registered. so if it's sub 500fps it is not registered, ergo, not a firearm. yes?

Steeleco
09-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm SOOOOO confused.

ElkMasterC
09-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Humble Hunter and I got 5 with a rock once.......is that legal? lol

Gateholio
09-26-2009, 09:30 AM
but all firearms in this country must be registered. so if it's sub 500fps it is not registered, ergo, not a firearm. yes?

I wish that were the case, but I believe they have a separate definition of handgun in the Wildlife Act.

It would be nice if the BCWF followed up on their resolution of a few years ago to ask that handgun hunting be permitted in BC.If it was allowed, You still wouldn't' be allowed to pack your .44 Magnum, but you could use your pellet pistol for grouse.

Probably bigger fish to fry right now, anyway, but it's a silly regulation.

Legi0n
09-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm with Gatehouse here. To my knowledge, anything not expressly prohibited is permitted.

bogtrotter
09-26-2009, 04:18 PM
It's not what is expressly prohibited - it is what is expressly permitted. That's why there is a section called "Legal Hunting Methods" - anything not mentioned there is illegal.

sobirch
09-26-2009, 05:32 PM

5 with "a" rock, musta been a helluva throw lol.

igojuone
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
OMG, I can't believe this is even a thread.

DBM
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Email the C.O. in your area with your question, then you've got a hard copy if another C.O. disagrees with using a pellet rifle.

Legi0n
09-26-2009, 06:19 PM
It's not what is expressly prohibited - it is what is expressly permitted. That's why there is a section called "Legal Hunting Methods" - anything not mentioned there is illegal.

let's summarize that section:
no handgun
no more than 3 shot cartridges in a shotgun
no rimfire for big game
no shotgun less than 20GA for big game
no bullet less than 175gr and 2,000 ft lbs for bison
and so on

To me it looks like that section is rather prohibiting what's illegal than allowing stuff.
But then again, one could argue the opposite.

wolverine
09-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm with Gatehouse here. To my knowledge, anything not expressly prohibited is permitted.

Yup. With you on that one. If it's illegal there has to be a written gazetted law. Once you determine that there isn't, you know it's legal. Just be sure that you are sure there is no written law.

ElkMasterC
09-26-2009, 08:42 PM

5 with "a" rock, musta been a helluva throw lol.

Same rock, five throws....there was one damn rock for a mile around, so one guy threw while the other watched where the Chicken Rock went....lmao.
Good times....

Gateholio
09-26-2009, 11:43 PM

I"ll try this again, a little stronger:

You are 100% completely INCORRECT.;)

I will be happy to eat crow if you can find the section of the Wildlife Act that states "it is illegal to hunt grouse with a pellet rifle"

But you wont' be able to show us that section because it does not exist.

Paulyman
09-27-2009, 10:57 AM

I agree!

You wouldn't shoot a moose with a .22 even though it isn't expressly prohibited.

husky30-06
09-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I agree!

You wouldn't shoot a moose with a .22 even though it isn't expressly prohibited.

It is........no rim fire for big game!!!!!!!! I am with Gatehouse on this, also..... Slingshots, rocks, a spear, a snare wire on a pole are fine!!!!!
I would not carry a pellet handgun... just asking for trouble if someone sees you with it and is not familiar with guns.... Ever had a 357 or 9mm handgun pointed in your face when the law comes for you....NOT FUN!!!!!!

sawmill
09-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I"ll try this again, a little stronger:

You are 100% completely INCORRECT.;)

I will be happy to eat crow if you can find the section of the Wildlife Act that states "it is illegal to hunt grouse with a pellet rifle"

But you wont' be able to show us that section because it does not exist.

Yup,and this comes from the man who wants to get a bear with a spear.You can use a rock or a pointed stick or a Boomarang if you like.
I don`t think you can run them over with your truck though.{on purpose:biggrin:}

Gateholio
09-27-2009, 12:02 PM
I agree!

Better check the Wildlife Act and the Regulations synopsis again- Hunting big game with a rimfire is most definitely prohibited!:-D

sawmill
09-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Better check the Wildlife Act and the Regulations synopsis again- Hunting big game with a rimfire is most definitely prohibited!:-D
OH YES!!But I wonder if shooting a 180 Mulie with a 10 inch drop tine that is eating my garden with a .22 pellet gun (ass shot) is legal?Long distance,Don`t want to harm him.just run him off.I have photo`s of him.gotta figure out how to post them.

bogtrotter
09-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Nice to see that Gatehouse is starting to clue in !

Gateholio
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice to see that Gatehouse is starting to clue in !

Have you found the section in the WA prohibiting the use of a pellet rifle on grouse yet?:biggrin:

Gateholio
09-27-2009, 08:03 PM
OH YES!!But I wonder if shooting a 180 Mulie with a 10 inch drop tine that is eating my garden with a .22 pellet gun (ass shot) is legal?Long distance,Don`t want to harm him.just run him off.I have photo`s of him.gotta figure out how to post them.

I think it could technically be called harassing wildlife but I dont' think anyone is going to do anything about it.:wink:

bogtrotter
09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Have you found the section in the WA prohibiting the use of a pellet rifle on grouse yet?:biggrin:

No and I don't have to. If it isn't mentioned on page 16 in "Legal Hunting Methods" , it ain't legal !!

Gateholio
09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
No and I don't have to. If it isn't mentioned on page 16 in "Legal Hunting Methods" , it ain't legal !!

Persistant, arent' you?

Persistently wrong, that is!:mrgreen:

Flip to page 2 of the BC Hunting & trapping Regulations Synopsis and read the part about You and THE LAW

YOU and THE LAW:
The British Columbia Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis is intended for general information purposes only. Where there is a discrepancy between this
Synopsis and the Regulations, the Regulations are the final authority. Regulations are subject to change from time to time, and it is the responsibility of an individual
to be informed of the current Regulations.

In short, the actual regulations, and NOT the synopsis is the actual law. The guide on page 16 seems designed as an easy guide to help out hunters who may wonder if they are permitted to use a rimfire or a shotgun for big game, or what is not permitted to be used on waterfowl etc.

It doesn't take in account every hunting weapon ever thought of or employed.

To lawfully disallow a weapon, the guide on page 16 requires actual written law to back it up. You will find what is excluded in the Wildlife Act hunting regulations, but you won't find a restriction on pellet rifles for grouse!:wink:

I bet you think that baiting for deer is illegal, too! :)

FLHTCUI
09-28-2009, 07:26 AM
FFS, use an airrifle or for that matter a slingshot.
Or just chuck a rock, how hard can that be.
Oh , I need a coffee refill.
Rob

TheDuckinator
09-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Why do you need a pellet gun, just pick up a rock :p I used to use the .22 with cb longs but this year im trying a high powered slingshot.

denali
09-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Just read through the Wildlife Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20W%20--/Wildlife%20Act%20%20RSBC%201996%20%20c.%20488/00_96488_01.xml#section26). Gatehouse is absolutely right - no where does it say you can't hunt grouse with a pellet gun...

... or even a slingshot for that matter :D

mijinkal
09-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Wow, this turned into quite the debate. I was just reading the synopsis, not the wildlife act. Looks like I'll be picking up one this week.
Thanks for the response guys!

Icedog
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Grouse? Use a rock, a stick, a pellet gun, a can of beans, a sling shot, a spear, or just sneak up and grab'em by the neck if you can.... you're legal, and Gatehouse is right.

Gateholio
10-03-2009, 01:14 AM

Found anything yet? If you do, let us know since I was just asked today about this, and I told the young fellow that it was OK. If you have different info, let me know, I wouldn't want him to get in trouble...

Salty
10-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I knew an old bush rat up north that used about a 8 ft stick with a small noose at the end made with cord. He picked off a lot of fool hens out of the trees near his cabin with this set up :D

city hunter
10-03-2009, 07:21 PM
why don't use .22 rifle with CB bullets ? it's awesome and even more quiet than air-rifle ,I have been using it to shoot grouse for a few years,one was being shot and down another one was no idea what was going on then you can shoot one by one.........you won't disappointed at it.

huntcoop
10-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Found anything yet? If you do, let us know since I was just asked today about this, and I told the young fellow that it was OK. If you have different info, let me know, I wouldn't want him to get in trouble...

Poke him with a stick, a really long stick :wink: .

wrenchyanker
10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
What are CB bullets?

city hunter
10-03-2009, 10:45 PM
What are CB bullets?
Conical ball

Shooter
10-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I just heard of a guy yesterday that was pinched for shooting grouse with a pellet gun here on the Island. Not sure what the fine if any was. Perhaps a warning but apparently the CO was less than impressed.

DBM
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, you can use a pellet rifle. Call Conservation Officer Van Damme in Clearwater. He'll give you the same answer he gave me.:roll:

Here's his contact info.

Kevin Van Damme
Conservation Officer
Clearwater, BC
Office 250-587-6679
Cel 250-318-5992
email Kevin.VanDamme@gov.bc.ca

Spyder
10-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes if it does not fire over a certain fps it is not considered a firearm ie. paintball rifles and airsoft rifles fall into that type of classification(really what that is saying is its not considered lethal velocity for the size of projectile fired) Anything that fires over a certain fps is considered lethal velocity and must be registered.

BCHunterTV
11-05-2013, 09:49 PM
If one uses a Airgun that can shoot up to 1500fps with alloy pellets can it be legally used for bobcat? a 22cal rimfire is legal and shoots 1200-1300 fps average

Gateholio
11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
If one uses a Airgun that can shoot up to 1500fps with alloy pellets can it be legally used for bobcat? a 22cal rimfire is legal and shoots 1200-1300 fps average

I don't see why it would be illegal if it's capable. How many grains are the pellets?

adriaticum
11-05-2013, 10:34 PM
I don't see why it would be illegal if it's capable. How many grains are the pellets?

7, 10, 12 gr for .177
and up to 20 gr for .22

I dropped a crow with a .177 head shot at 10 yards with a 490 fps.
I'd go with a .22 over .177.

caddisguy
11-06-2013, 07:28 AM
The confusion seems to stem from the synopsis chart listing "legal hunting methods" ... it might be implying that using methods not listed such as air rifles and slingshots would not be legal. However, I was unable to find any law actually stating methods outside the "legal methods" chart are actually illegal. To muddy the waters further, there are mixed stories about some CO's saying ok, others saying no-go along with hunters getting fined for it.

Like many laws surrounding hunting and firearms, each individual hunter and each individual CO has their own interprutations / beliefs. Unless someone fights a ticket / charge for an identical scenario and gets a ruling from a judge, the answer varies depending on which CO or hunter you ask.

I'd donate $100 and a six pack for anyone fighting a fine/charge for using a pellet gun on a grouse. Hope some others would join in.

MRP
11-06-2013, 09:01 AM
A stick, rock, pellet gun, slingshot all good. BUT YOU must have a bow of 40lb ?????

adriaticum
11-06-2013, 09:47 AM
The confusion seems to stem from the synopsis chart listing "legal hunting methods" ... it might be implying that using methods not listed such as air rifles and slingshots would not be legal. However, I was unable to find any law actually stating methods outside the "legal methods" chart are actually illegal. To muddy the waters further, there are mixed stories about some CO's saying ok, others saying no-go along with hunters getting fined for it.

Like many laws surrounding hunting and firearms, each individual hunter and each individual CO has their own interprutations / beliefs. Unless someone fights a ticket / charge for an identical scenario and gets a ruling from a judge, the answer varies depending on which CO or hunter you ask.

I'd donate $100 and a six pack for anyone fighting a fine/charge for using a pellet gun on a grouse. Hope some others would join in.

I had a similar discussion on another thread and a couple of fellows persuaded me that in the Wildlife Act anything that is not deemed illegal is legal.
I could not find any evidence to the contrary. By that theory you can hunt game with your car, explosives etc. It's not illegal.
This doesn't mean I am going to use any method that is not listed as legal because it could be a simple oversight in wording by the authorities and could cost me.
In the fishing regulations everything is illegal unless listed as legal.
So I'm still confused and will ask COs when I run into them.
Probably get different answers too.

swampdonkey
11-06-2013, 09:54 AM
7, 10, 12 gr for .177
and up to 20 gr for .22

I dropped a crow with a .177 head shot at 10 yards with a 490 fps.
I'd go with a .22 over .177.

You must be a good shot

Gateholio
11-06-2013, 10:57 AM
I had a similar discussion on another thread and a couple of fellows persuaded me that in the Wildlife Act anything that is not deemed illegal is legal.
I could not find any evidence to the contrary. By that theory you can hunt game with your car, explosives etc. It's not illegal.
This doesn't mean I am going to use any method that is not listed as legal because it could be a simple oversight in wording by the authorities and could cost me.
In the fishing regulations everything is illegal unless listed as legal.
So I'm still confused and will ask COs when I run into them.
Probably get different answers too.

Car? Nope. That's in the regs. Explosives would require a bunch of permits to blow stuff up on down land anyway.

boxhitch
11-06-2013, 11:11 AM
anything that is not deemed illegal is legal.But if lawmakers had their run of things , they would have it all covered. Can you imagine the paperwork for that , explaining every possible scenario like some HBC viewers insist on.

now ie goats = no rimfire no shotguns , but ok for spears and atlatls and darts

Gateholio
11-07-2013, 03:49 AM
But if lawmakers had their run of things , they would have it all covered. Can you imagine the paperwork for that , explaining every possible scenario like some HBC viewers insist on.

now ie goats = no rimfire no shotguns , but ok for spears and atlatls and darts

x2

Most of the regulations pertaining to what is illegal to use on certain species stems from correcting a "problem"

People shot and wounded big game with 22's so rimfires were made illegal. Same with shotguns. People shot big game with light target bows so the poundage restriction was put into place. Lead shot was toxic so non toxic shot was mandated for waterfowl, etc etc.

People may cry "foul" if someone suggests they might use a pellet rifle or spear or whatever, but most of the discussions are somewhat hypothetical. We dont' have a problem with people wounding game with pellet rifles or spears, so really there is no reason to outlaw their use.

And really, the regulations in many states and provinces haven't kept pace with technology. Some modern airguns have taken all sorts of species of big game. SOme places don't allow anything less than .243 for deer, yet modern bullets make .22 centerfires deadly on deer. We have the bison restriction, but I'd rather use a 165gr TSX bullet on a bison than a 180gr cup and core bullet, but the TSX wouldn't be legal.

In the last few years I've heard people getting upset about the new 17 and .20 caliber centerfires, and how BC should change the laws to not allow them for big game. In hypothetical conversation, maybe it sounds like a good idea. But the reality is that we dont' have any problems with people using these cartridges to hunt big game. I've never even heard of someone using one- not in person on on the intraweb. And most hunters want to hedge thier bets, not handicap themselves, so they pick a 30-06 anyway.

I personally think that if the animal in question can be humanely killed, then it should be legal. Bottom line is that if an air rifle is using a similar weight projectile at a similar velocity as a .22, then it should work fine for bobcats, and it's not illegal. Don't just look at page 16, it's not a comprehensive list.

Rackem
11-07-2013, 08:21 AM

Wrong wrong wrong. I have spoken to several CO's and they have ALL told me that hunting grouse or upland game with a slingshot is AOK. Gatehouse is right. I will email my local CO and have it in writing for you.

And I know of a guy who was attacked in his driveway by a buck, wouldn't let him get to his door, and when he finally made it past the buck he was pissed off and grabbed the pellet gun and shot it to try and scare it off. To his shock, it dropped dead. He had somehow hit it in a vital area...very illegal.

lookclosely
11-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Email the C.O. in your area with your question, then you've got a hard copy if another C.O. disagrees with using a pellet rifle.

This is by far the best advice I've ever read by a member on this website. Instead of bickering back and forth for days on end about what you "think" or what you "interpret", go to the source and get it in writing. If you're called to Court, you will have evidence to support your explanation. Case closed.

hare_assassin
11-07-2013, 09:11 AM
This is by far the best advice I've ever read by a member on this website. Instead of bickering back and forth for days on end about what you "think" or what you "interpret", go to the source and get it in writing. If you're called to Court, you will have evidence to support your explanation. Case closed.

As a CO, what's your take on it? I suspect you won't want to answer publicly, which is understandable since you must agree that the regulations and the synopsis leave a lot to interpretation.

caddisguy
11-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Wrong wrong wrong. I have spoken to several CO's and they have ALL told me that hunting grouse or upland game with a slingshot is AOK. Gatehouse is right. I will email my local CO and have it in writing for you.

Trouble is that your local CO might say one thing while other CO's might say another. It would not even carry much weight in court even if the same CO who said it was OK was the one charging you. Heck, 30 LEO's might say the same thing, but that doesn't make a lick of difference when the 31st one goes on the attack.

Laws need to be clear to all hunters and LEO's whether it be the Wildlife Act, Firearms Act, Criminal Code, etc. For example, take 86 (1) from the Criminal Code:

"86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons."

It is because of this type of vague nonsense that people still get charged under 86(1) for storing ammo inside of a magazine, having ammunition within reach while driving, in the ashtray/glovebox/butt-stock holder, etc, etc, etc, etc. I think the vast majority of us do things in a way that is contrary to some LEO's personal interprutations and opinions and as a result, folks get charged. Judges usually see through the nonsense, but people don't get their firearms back until $50,000-100,000 legal expenses and 4 years later.

The above translates to 72 "laws" based on 4 variables left to be defined by a LEO and upheld or discarded by a judge. Regardless of the judges decision, severe punishment has already been inflicted on the person. What is it called again when enforcement is able to act as judge, jury and executioner?

You can be right, but you are still vulnerable to being punished. I'm not interested in shooting grouse with pellet guns or slingshots, but it pisses me off to hear that people have been fined for it due to the same flaws which also result in more serious charges for people having a non-restricted rifle by our side and a couple rounds in the center console.

Guys with loaded guns in the vehicle, shooting across busy roads, playing target practice on deer out of season and letting them rot don't get punished, but good law abiding folks sure as hell do.

Wow I'm a little wound up this morning. I need to get out in the bush... and maybe cut down on the caffeine ;-P

Rackem
11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
This is why I wrote to the CO's this am and will have it in writing. Courts value due diligence and reasonable persons.

HIGHRPM
11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes, go for it. As long as the air rifle has good FPS speed, there is no issue, just keep the shots as close as possible. Have fun !

hare_assassin
11-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Wow I'm a little wound up this morning. I need to get out in the bush... and maybe cut down on the caffeine ;-P

Careful. That's reason enough right there for the pricks to come and take your guns.

(Read Blair Hagen's article in the current "Western Sportsman")

caddisguy
11-07-2013, 09:53 AM
This is why I wrote to the CO's this am and will have it in writing. Courts value due diligence and reasonable persons.

I admire your slingshot abilities--being able to pop grouse--by the way. I've put in many hours, but anything grouse-size from 8+ meters and my odds are 1/10 at best. I always wanted to be like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0 :D

caddisguy
11-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Careful. That's reason enough right there for the pricks to come and take your guns.

Haha... caffeine... having human emotions... that's two strikes for sure. And I've already taken heat during vehicle searches at CO/RCMP road blocks on two separate occasions... one for posessing an empty "unpinned" 25 round 22LR hotlips magazine and a butt-stock ammo holder. Tried to explain it is legal, but was just told both times "Quit while you're ahead. We're giving you a break this time. You're lucky so get out of here". Ever since I put the dashcam in, they let me through without much trouble.

Does this stuff happen outside of the lower mainland? Never had problems in Merrit, Kamloops or Lac la Hache. Only a couple interactions, totally positive.

hare_assassin
11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
I admire your slingshot abilities--being able to pop grouse--by the way. I've put in many hours, but anything grouse-size from 8+ meters and my odds are 1/10 at best. I always wanted to be like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0 :D

When I was 11-12 years old I shot much like Rufus. Successfully hunted snowshoe hare in the forests north of Cold Lake, AB. I even got a pheasant one day. However, I was using a Marksman with wrist support and ball bearings, not a homemade slingshot with rocks!

It's true what he says in the video. You don't "aim" with a slingshot. You just look at the target. Many excellent archers use the same technique.

Rackem
11-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Hello Ellen,

Thank you for your email dated November 7, 2013, regarding the legality of using primitive weapons or air rifles for hunting grouse in BC. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

The Wildlife Act definition of “firearm” is:

"firearm" includes a rifle, shotgun, handgun or spring gun and any device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, compressed gas or spring but does not include a bow;

Pellet guns, BB guns, and paintball guns all meet the definition of “firearm”: propel a projectile by means of compressed gas.

The Wildlife Act definition of “hunt” is:

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;

The possession of a pellet/bb/paintball gun (firearm) or slingshot (other weapon) while meeting the definition above is considered hunting and can only be done in compliance with hunting regulations in the province.
There are currently no prohibitions on the use of air guns, slingshots, or rocks to hunt upland game birds/small game in British Columbia. However, note that it is an offence to hunt with a with a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in length.
While it is not prohibited to hunt grouse with an air gun, slingshot, or rock, please be advised that it is an offence to injure wildlife and fail to make every reasonable effort to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Considering the limited killing ability and range of air guns or primitive weapons it is possible that possession of only an air gun/sling shot to kill wounded wildlife would be inadequate to meet the standards of “every reasonable effort” to retrieve and kill a wounded animal. It is possible that it would be an offence to wound game with an air gun and not be able to kill the wounded animal and retrieve the meat. Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber.
Ethics play a large role in the hunter’s decision to hunt with a pellet gun or sling shot. The hunter should consider whether the method being used is an effective and humane way to harvest an animal, and that the potential for wounding loss or unnecessary suffering is minimized.
The use of snares to hunt grouse is prohibited. Only fur bearing animals may be trapped/snared in the province and this is restricted to trappers on traplines, private property, or under permit. The only animal a person may snare under the authority of a hunting licence is snowshoe hare. I’ve added some information on snaring snowshoe hares below for your information.

Rackem
11-07-2013, 10:16 AM
It is not illegal to snare snowshoe hares in BC. However, the person using the snare must be a licensed hunter, abide by open seasons and bag limits, and the snare must be non-braided, 20 gauge or less and without a locking device. However, please note the following regulations pertaining to the trapping of fur-bearers (note that snowshoe hares are not considered fur bearers, I have copied the below legislation to make you aware that if you incidentally snare a furbearer you may be in offence):

Wildlife Act

Hunting and licences
11 (8) A person commits an offence if the person traps fur bearing animals unless he or she holds a trapping licence.

Prohibition within a trapline
41 A person commits an offence if the person sets a trap for, hunts, kills, takes or captures a fur bearing animal in an area of British Columbia unless the person
(a) is a registered holder of the trapline for that area,
(b) has written permission of a registered holder of the trapline for that area,
(c) is the owner or occupier of the land,
(d) has written permission from the owner or occupier of the land, or
(e) holds a permit to trap that is required by regulation.

Designation and Exemption Regulation
Fur bearing animals
16 The following mammals are designated as fur bearing animals:
(a) Canis latrans — coyote;(b) Canis lupus — wolf;(c) Ursus americanus — black bear;(d) Castor canadensis — beaver;(e) Lutra canadensis — river otter;(f) Ondatra zibethicus — muskrat;(g) Vulpes vulpes — fox;(h) Alopex lagopus — Arctic fox; (i) Vulpes macrotis — kit fox.(j) Urocyon cinereoargenteus — grey fox;(k) Martes americana — marten;(l) Martes pennanti — fisher;(m) Mustela erminea — ermine;(n) Mustela vison — mink;(o) Mustela frenata — longtailed weasel; (p) Mustela nivalis — least weasel;(q) Tamiasciurus hudsonicus — red squirrel;(r) Tamiasciurus douglasii — Douglas squirrel;(s) Glaucomys sabrinus — northern flying squirrel;(t) Gulo gulo — wolverine;(u) Lynx canaensis — lynx; (v) Lynx rufus — bobcat;(w) Procyon lotor — raccoon;(x) Mephitis mephitis — striped skunk;(y) Spilogale putorius — spotted skunk.

If you were to incidentally trap one of the fur bearers listed above in your snare you would be in offence of sections 11(8) and 41 of the Wildlife Act.

Other legal methods of hunting a snowshoe hare include by the use of a firearm and archery equipment. A hunting licence is sufficient/required to use a killing snare for snowshoe hares in BC.
Regards,
https://blu180.afx.ms/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=7312598e-47ce-11e3-9643-002264c1d2c0&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid:image001.jpg%4001CEDB98.22B51DD0&cid=68a298bbca9a281e&hm__login=holdfastabs&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.148.78.8&d=d1601&mf=0&hm__ts=Thu%2c%2007%20Nov%202013%2017:04:41%20GMT&st=holdfastabs&hm__ha=01_4e4ae0d1f21112d3d4aa8fb299e3700657671db5 6d453c82eb0ec149cc40022b&oneredir=1Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email:stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca (stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca)

Rackem
11-07-2013, 10:28 AM
So you can legally hunt grouse with a paintball gun?? LMAO...

BRvalley
11-07-2013, 10:28 AM
LOL "thank you for your email dated from 2 hours ago"

stepehen must be a lurker on this forum....you get a same day reply?!?! seriously....everybody else waits 3+ weeks

I'm going to get to you knock on the ranchers door to ask permission next year....oh wait, you already got permission from every rancher within 100kms!!! hahhaha

Rackem
11-07-2013, 10:31 AM
LOL "thank you for your email dated from 2 hours ago"

stepehen must be a lurker on this forum....you get a same day reply?!?! seriously....everybody else waits 3+ weeks

I'm going to get to you knock on the ranchers door to ask permission next year....oh wait, you already got permission from every rancher within 100kms!!! hahhaha

LOL! Can't blame the boobies this time...

hare_assassin
11-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Haha... caffeine... having human emotions... that's two strikes for sure. And I've already taken heat during vehicle searches at CO/RCMP road blocks on two separate occasions... one for posessing an empty "unpinned" 25 round 22LR hotlips magazine and a butt-stock ammo holder. Tried to explain it is legal, but was just told both times "Quit while you're ahead. We're giving you a break this time. You're lucky so get out of here". Ever since I put the dashcam in, they let me through without much trouble.

Does this stuff happen outside of the lower mainland? Never had problems in Merrit, Kamloops or Lac la Hache. Only a couple interactions, totally positive.

Funny you should ask. I was stopped for the first time ever in BC the other day just outside of Kamloops. They were doing a routine check-stop. I rolled up with my .270 and my .22WMR right in the front seat. 2 female LEOs. As one arrives at my window, I say (with a big grin)...

"I've got guns in here."

She says (with a smile) "Yes, you do. Are they loaded?"

Me: "No."

LEO: "Where are the magazines?"

Me: "Here, in my pockets." (I take them out and show her)

LEO: "You should have the bolts removed."

Me: "Pardon?" (I actually didn't think I heard her right)

LEO: "It is best practice to have the bolts removed, if you don't want to be shot."

Me (confused): "Ummm, OK." (but I made no move to actually remove the bolts)

LEO: "So, what are you hunting for?" (it was obvious I was going hunting)

Me: "Deer... maybe some grouse and rabbit."

LEO: "What kind of guns are they?"

Me: "A .270 and a .22 magnum."

LEO: "Can you shoot a deer with a .22 magnum?"

Me: "No. That's illegal."

LEO: "Hahahaa.. Do you have your driver's licence?" (the laugh was genuine, but seemed odd, like she found it funny that I was telling her the law)

Me: "Yes.... right here... hmmm... there's my PAL...(she says "that's good") .. and there's my driver's licence."

LEO: "OK, Mr. _________, remember to renew your DL before your birthday."

Me: "OK."

LEO: "Are you going to be drinking when you are hunting today?"

LEO: "OK, well, good luck out there, I think! ... Poor Bambi..."

Me: "Oh, they are so delicious" [big grin]

LEO: "Actually I started eating meat 2 years ago and I tried deer. It was pretty good."

Me: "Cool. Take care." [smile and drive away]

Good thing I didn't have a dash cam, because my wife would have been jealous as hell. The LEO was pretty cute and she was giving me the glad eye the whole time... ;)

BRvalley
11-07-2013, 10:37 AM
LOL! Can't blame the boobies this time...

my money is on MacIver being a lurker of the appreciation thread....lol

caddisguy
11-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Funny you should ask. I was stopped for the first time ever in BC the other day just outside of Kamloops. They were doing a routine check-stop. I rolled up with my .270 and my .22WMR right in the front seat. 2 female LEOs. As one arrives at my window, I say (with a big grin)...

"I've got guns in here."

She says (with a smile) "Yes, you do. Are they loaded?"

LEO: "Where are the magazines?"

Me: "Here, in my pockets." (I take them out and show her)

LEO: "You should have the bolts removed."

Me: "Pardon?" (I actually didn't think I heard her right)

LEO: "It is best practice to have the bolts removed, if you don't want to be shot."

Me (confused): "Ummm, OK." (but I made no move to actually remove the bolts)

LEO: "So, what are you hunting for?" (it was obvious I was going hunting)

Me: "Deer... maybe some grouse and rabbit."

LEO: "What kind of guns are they?"

Me: "A .270 and a .22 magnum."

LEO: "Can you shoot a deer with a .22 magnum?"

Me: "No. That's illegal."

LEO: "Hahahaa.. Do you have your driver's licence?" (the laugh was genuine, but seemed odd, like she found it funny that I was telling her the law)

Me: "Yes.... right here... hmmm... there's my PAL...(she says "that's good") .. and there's my driver's licence."

LEO: "OK, Mr. _________, remember to renew your DL before your birthday."

Me: "OK."

LEO: "Are you going to be drinking when you are hunting today?"

LEO: "OK, well, good luck out there, I think! ... Poor Bambi..."

Me: "Oh, they are so delicious" [big grin]

LEO: "Actually I started eating meat 2 years ago and I tried deer. It was pretty good."

Me: "Cool. Take care." [smile and drive away]

Good thing I didn't have a dash cam, because my wife would have been jealous as hell. The LEO was pretty cute and she was giving me the glad eye the whole time... ;)

Haha every stop seems to have its own crazy spin. That stuff about removing the bolt and feeling sorry for bambi is some alice-in-wonderland stuff right there. I'm guessing they were RCMP and not CO's? Also wondering why the asked to see the magazines. I've never been hasseled over a magazine containing ammo, but it seems to happen to other people... maybe just checking for prohib mags?

My favorite stop was when I was with two other people at we all had 4-5 shotguns/rifles each. There were CO's accompanied by RCMP.

CO: Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?
Me: Yes
CO: We just have to check them to make sure they are all unloaded OK?
Me: Alright. Do you want me to pull off to the side here? It's going to take a while if you want to check them all.
CO: What do you have?
Me: We have 2 10-22's... 2 SKS... 1 30-06, 4 12 gauges, 1...
CO: OK OK you're good, just go, have a good night!

BCHunterTV
11-07-2013, 08:06 PM
The co replied and said its illegal to use one for bobcat and lynx...

guntech
11-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I have not read every post in this thread but the 2012-2014 Regulations Synopsis on page 16 states the legal hunting method for upland game birds is either a Rimfire rifle, a Centerfire rifle, a Shotgun or a Bow.

No where does it state you can use an air gun of any kind.

KodiakHntr
11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Should probably read the entire thread.........

Rackem
11-08-2013, 01:53 PM
I have not read every post in this thread but the 2012-2014 Regulations Synopsis on page 16 states the legal hunting method for upland game birds is either a Rimfire rifle, a Centerfire rifle, a Shotgun or a Bow.

Especially Post # 86 where I have a direct answer from https://blu180.afx.ms/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=ea567d4b-47d0-11e3-8331-10604bb386bc&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid:image001.jpg%4001CEDB98.22B51DD0&cid=68a298bbca9a281e&hm__login=holdfastabs&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.148.78.8&d=d1601&mf=0&hm__ts=Fri%2c%2008%20Nov%202013%2020:53:03%20GMT&st=holdfastabs&hm__ha=01_6cfaa4a4aa6b1c5d87c0b10e995116e699625471 93c010a60a175d3203b8cfe6&oneredir=1Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email:stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca (stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca)

guntech
11-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Especially Post # 86 where I have a direct answer from https://blu180.afx.ms/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=ea567d4b-47d0-11e3-8331-10604bb386bc&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid:image001.jpg%4001CEDB98.22B51DD0&cid=68a298bbca9a281e&hm__login=holdfastabs&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.148.78.8&d=d1601&mf=0&hm__ts=Fri%2c%2008%20Nov%202013%2020:53:03%20GMT&st=holdfastabs&hm__ha=01_6cfaa4a4aa6b1c5d87c0b10e995116e699625471 93c010a60a175d3203b8cfe6&oneredir=1Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email:stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca (stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca)

What I stated is correct...No where does it state you can use an air gun of any kind... Interesting how often the Synopsis that is produced for hunters to use contains lousy information... why they would specifically state that the only legal method is Rimfire - Centerfire rifles, Shotguns and bows in a publication meant to guide us... another synopsis screw up...

Rackem
11-08-2013, 03:16 PM
What I stated is correct...No where does it state you can use an air gun of any kind... Interesting how often the Synopsis that is produced for hunters to use contains lousy information... why they would specifically state that the only legal method is Rimfire - Centerfire rifles, Shotguns and bows in a publication meant to guide us... another synopsis screw up...

PAGE 2 of the Regs:
YOU and THE LAW:
The British Columbia Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis is intended for general information purposes only. Where there is a discrepancy between this Synopsis and the Regulations, the Regulations are the final authority. Regulations are subject to change from time to time, and it is the responsibility of an individual to be informed of the current Regulations.

Synopsis: a brief summary or general survey of something.

"a synopsis of the insurance cover provided is set out below"

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 03:31 PM

That is only a quick reference guide that shows examples of common hunting weapons. It is not a comprehensive list of all legal hunting weapons.

adriaticum
11-08-2013, 03:32 PM

guntech, I would have agreed with you a while ago, but after a discussion on another thread with few folks I have concluded that the Wildlife Act and the Regulation Synopsis are like the Old and New Testament.
It's all left to interpretation.
In the Wildlife act it lists only illegal methods and so it can be interpreted that if it's not on that list, it's legal.
Also in the Reg. Synopsis it lists legal methods for hunting, so it can be interpreted that if it's not on that list, it's illegal.

I would rather not be at the mercy of some CO who may or may not like you when they talk to you.
But if someone has the money and the energy to prove their point in court, knock yourself out.

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 03:32 PM
The co replied and said its illegal to use one for bobcat and lynx...

Considering there are some air rifles that are capable of cleanly killing moose, I think it depends on the air rifle.

guntech
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
..... So how many here ignore the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis and go to the Official Wildlife Act (Regulations) to obtain the actual 'correct' information? Not many I would assume...

You would think the frigging Fish and Wildlife Department could actual publish the correct information for the public in the Synopsis....

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I think the chart on Page 16 is "correct enough"

It covers most common hunting weapons and answers most common questions about legality. Most important, it spells out quite clearly what is not legal.

caddisguy
11-08-2013, 07:32 PM
..... So how many here ignore the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis and go to the Official Wildlife Act (Regulations) to obtain the actual 'correct' information? Not many I would assume...

You would think the frigging Fish and Wildlife Department could actual publish the correct information for the public in the Synopsis....

Would be nice, but for now you can read both and many things are still vague or undefined. Summary is, nowhere does it say it is legal and nowhere does it say it is illegal to shoot upload game birds with a pellet gun.

If one wants to hunt grouse with a pellet gun, there is risk involved. Though not illegal as far as we can tell, some CO's will charge you while others will not. If one wants to spend money in court fighting it, Rackem has a letter you can print out which may help in court.

I will personally donate $100 towards any fees or lost wages associated with a charge/fine for shooting grouse with a pellet rifle meeting proper barrel length, fps and other restrictions. Having a printed CO letter in the glove box might help, but a court ruling seals the deal.

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Some air rifle hunting pics:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/tractor841/dukec2.jpg

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/index.1.jpg

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/steph_bison.jpg

http://www.crosman.com/croswords/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Eva_Pig2.jpg

adriaticum
11-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Gatehouse those are nice, but how many of them are from BC?

JCVD
11-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Air rifles over 495 fps are considered firearms. Which is why you used to have to register them just like your powder burners.

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

I don't think any of them are. BC bears and elk would probably die just the same though.

Sofa King
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

that last pic looks so staged.
perfect angles, moody sky in the background, professional lighting, pose a dead hog, bring in the model and gun, hold it just right so the name is visible, and make sure there's no blood showing anywhere.

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 10:07 PM
perfect angles, moody sky in the background, professional lighting, pose a dead hog, bring in the model and gun, hold it just right so the name is visible, and make sure there's no blood showing anywhere.

No doubt Eva Shockey had a few professional photographer/camera operators with her. Filming hunts is her family business. Not everyone puts as much effort into game photos, but it's nice to see how the pros do it.

Sofa King
11-08-2013, 10:27 PM
No doubt Eva Shockey had a few professional photographer/camera operators with her. Filming hunts is her family business. Not everyone puts as much effort into game photos, but it's nice to see how the pros do it.
it a great pic, no doubt.
but too fake for me.
I don't need guts and gore, but i'd much rather see a gal who just downed her trophy than a princess who just walked out of the makeup trailer.

adriaticum
11-08-2013, 10:36 PM

Lol, gotta look good while you are standing over a gut pile.

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 10:36 PM
it a great pic, no doubt.
but too fake for me.
I don't need guts and gore, but i'd much rather see a gal who just downed her trophy than a princess who just walked out of the makeup trailer.

I'm not sure whats fake about posing with an animal she killed with the rifle she killed it with, unless good photography looks "fake" to you.

themernbrowning
11-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Just have to be aware of barrel length as per regs they changed it a while back where you couldn't use a hand pellet gun anymore.

1/2 slam
11-08-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure whats fake about posing with an animal she killed with the rifle she killed it with, unless good photography looks "fake" to you.

Most people on this site haven't got a clue how to take a good picture.

Rackem
11-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Eva wears makeup hunting....to each their own, I think she is beautiful and very very lucky...and the photo is great. I am going to try taking pics with no visible blood and posed nicer than I have in the past...(moose head on hood of truck, blood running down...gutted deer blood on snow...) but I won't bother with makeup lol.

guntech
11-09-2013, 10:50 AM
I think the chart on Page 16 is "correct enough"

Most important, it spells out quite clearly what is not legal.

Well it doesn't... from other posts in this thread an air rifle is considered the same as a rifle and can be used on grouse... and if they can be used on grouse they could also be used on Lynx... sufficient power apparently is a requirement... and they do not define what power would be required... It would be interesting to own one of those powerful hunting air rifles you posted pictures of...

KodiakHntr
11-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I think the CO that sent the email stating an air rifle as NOT legal for lynx is making an assumption and personal interpretation, based around the law stating you can't intentionally harm wildlife.

I'd have zero qualms around air gunning a lynx with my RWS 350 Magnum. And I'd fight a ticket in court as well should it come to that point. But I don't think it would, as the Act doesn't state it's illegal.

Gateholio
11-09-2013, 01:04 PM
I think the CO that sent the email stating an air rifle as NOT legal for lynx is making an assumption and personal interpretation, based around the law stating you can't intentionally harm wildlife.

I'd have zero qualms around air gunning a lynx with my RWS 350 Magnum. And I'd fight a ticket in court as well should it come to that point. But I don't think it would, as the Act doesn't state it's illegal.

My guess is that the CO isn't familiar with high power airguns and was thinking along the lines of a Red Ryder. :)

And I don't think you would get a ticket because a) You probably won't run into a CO anyway and b) What would you get charged with?

KodiakHntr
11-09-2013, 06:36 PM
That "what would you be charged with" aspect is exactly it. Nothing to be charged with, so no worries on being charged.

BCHunterTV
11-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Hello Danny,
Thank you for your email dated November 8, 2013, regarding the legalities of using pellet guns and other weapons for the purpose of hunting in BC. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response. My apologies for the delay.
The response you previously read is likely as follow:
*********** The Wildlife Act definition of “firearm” is:
"firearm"*includes a rifle, shotgun, handgun or spring gun and any device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, compressed gas or spring but does not include a bow;
Pellet guns, BB guns, and paintball guns all meet the definition of “firearm”; propel a projectile by means of compressed gas.
The Wildlife Act definition of “hunt” is:
"hunt"*includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,
(a)*with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b)*while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;
*********** The possession of a pellet/bb/paintball gun (firearm) or slingshot (other weapon) while meeting the definition above is considered hunting and can only be done in compliance with hunting regulations in the province.
There are currently no prohibitions on the use of air guns to hunt upland game birds/small game in British Columbia. *There are no restrictions on velocity/ammunition requirements. However, note that it is an offence to hunt with a with a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in length.
While it is not prohibited to hunt with an air gun, please be advised that it is an offence to injure wildlife and fail to make every reasonable effort to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Considering the limited killing ability and range of air guns it is possible that possession of only an air gun to kill wounded wildlife would be inadequate to meet the standards of “every reasonable effort” to retrieve and kill a wounded animal. It is possible that it would be an offence to wound game with an air gun and not be able to kill the wounded animal and retrieve the meat. Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber.
Ethics play a large role in the hunter’s decision to hunt with a pellet gun. The hunter should consider whether the method being used is an effective and humane way to harvest an animal, and that the potential for wounding loss or unnecessary suffering is minimized. Hunting big game with an air gun is not recommended, besides the fact that it could be considered an offence if the hunter is unable to track and kill the wounded animal with that weapon, most air guns do not have the power to ethically and humanely kill an animal. It is highly recommended that if you are hunting with an air rifle that you also carry a rim fire or center fire rifle in the case that a wounded animal needs to be tracked and killed.
*********** In response to your specific enquiry, there are no prohibitions on the use of a pellet gun capable of shooting 1500fps or more to hunt lynx or bobcat, however the caveats noted above still apply.
Regards,
*Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

BraveKnight
12-19-2013, 04:06 PM
In the hunting regulations and core manual it states no hunting with hand guns

Singleshotneeded
12-22-2013, 02:42 AM
I just heard of a guy yesterday that was pinched for shooting grouse with a pellet gun here on the Island. Not sure what the fine if any was. Perhaps a warning but apparently the CO was less than impressed.

He must have been using a pellet air pistol...
I've heard the stronger .25 caliber air rifles with heavy pellets can be used for small cats and coyotes...

BCHunterTV
01-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I've heard the stronger .25 caliber air rifles with heavy pellets can be used for small cats and coyotes...

While it is not prohibited to hunt with an air gun, please be advised that it is an offence to injure wildlife and fail to make every reasonable effort to retrieve the wildlife and kill it.

Alec
02-05-2014, 09:40 PM
The comment re use of the pellet gun on 'big game' would be a violation because it is not a "center fire" rifle as per page 16 of the current regulations.

eaglesnester
02-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Well U can kill a grouse with a hand full o rocks, like Jeremiah Johnson's wife did.

Cheers and Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Did the indians put U here? "twerent Mormans"

eaglesnester
02-08-2014, 11:34 AM
If your air rifle is designated as a firearm (over 500 FPS MV) and requires a pal to own, carry, and shoot U should be OK.

BCHunterTV
03-10-2014, 10:18 PM
If your air rifle is designated as a firearm (over 500 FPS MV) and requires a pal to own, carry, and shoot U should be OK.

any pellet gun is ok

BCHunterTV
03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
The comment re use of the pellet gun on 'big game' would be a violation because it is not a "center fire" rifle as per page 16 of the current regulations.

Bobcat, Lynx and Wolverine are Big Game no? you can use rimfire for them....

ruger#1
09-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Get a chipmunk 22 They shoot shorts to long rifle. They weigh only 2 1/2LBS. Use Remington subsonics and you should be okay. Subsonics sound like an air rifle. And they are 40grns.

Gateholio
09-30-2015, 07:00 PM
You bored, Ruger #1? :)

ruger#1
09-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Ha Ha Yes. I don't even know how I got on this post.

IslandBC
09-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Well thanks for the post anyhow . Going to try the subsonics

Gateholio
09-30-2015, 09:12 PM

Even though this is way old, this is incorrect. Page 16 is not the law.

ruger#1
10-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Ha Ha . Clarke,Are you sure your not bored?

J_06
10-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Bobcat, Lynx and Wolverine are Big Game no? you can use rimfire for them....
Furbearers. Legal to use rimfire.

Frango
10-24-2015, 06:08 PM
I have a pal required pellet gun.I think it shoots around 1200 fps .It has killed many black squirrels and a few rabbits. I see no reason why it would not kill grouse. My 22 shooting shorts is way quieter though. I have shot at squirrels with 22lr CCI bullets(22 with shot shell) and they are useless. They would not kill a squirrel at 20 feet. Pellet gun all the way.

thedougler
10-25-2015, 01:49 PM
I do now know if it legal or not but this Just my thought on using a pellet pistol.
If by chance you get pulled over on the drive up and an RCMP officer want to check how you are transporting firearms ( been there ) and he comes across something that "looks" like a restricted firearm? Right or wrong Your proabaley going to get hassled. I could see a C O putting you through the ringer if he came across it on your person, let alone with a pistol your hand. Either way it's time lost hunting.

Gateholio
10-25-2015, 02:53 PM
ANY handgun is prohibited for hunting in BC.

goatdancer
10-25-2015, 03:41 PM
We took a CO2 177 pellet pistol on a hunting trip quite a few years ago. Used it to plink at targets when we were done hunting. Got stopped at a game check and got no hassles, just a lot of curiosity because it had a scope and a rifle type stock.

Stresd
10-26-2015, 07:18 AM
It doesn't matter what Mods you have done to your Airgun. If it was a pistol originally from factory, then it is still classified as a pistol according to the law. As to no hassle at the game check. It's not illegal to carry an an airgun pistol in your vehicle. Say, for plinking with while in camp. Just illegal to hunt with it.

goatdancer
10-26-2015, 09:00 AM
It doesn't matter what Mods you have done to your Airgun. If it was a pistol originally from factory, then it is still classified as a pistol according to the law. As to no hassle at the game check. It's not illegal to carry an an airgun pistol in your vehicle. Say, for plinking with while in camp. Just illegal to hunt with it.

Didn't hunt with it, that's why no hassle.
The mods make it very accurate and it looks "cool".

Stresd
10-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Didn't hunt with it, that's why no hassle.
The mods make it very accurate and it looks "cool".

I can relate. In the past I Got pretty heavy into collecting,modding and repairing AG's. Still own a couple hundred.

wideopenthrottle
10-26-2015, 12:20 PM
I can relate. In the past I Got pretty heavy into collecting,modding and repairing AG's. Still own a couple hundred.

wow...you could make a lot of kids happy with a garage sale...heheheheh

walks with deer
03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Used a 177 gping 1200fps for coons ddad coons no problem

pnbrock
03-21-2016, 08:10 PM
^^^^^^^ what he said !!