PDA

View Full Version : Turkey hunting

Angel a
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Why is it that the hunting reg's( region 4) states that you can only use shots in the fall...but 22's and center fire rifles are okay in the spring to shoot
Turkeys?

huntwriter
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I have no clue why it says "Bow or SHOT Season". There are a few things in the regulation that make little sense.;)

Having said that, you're better off hunting turkeys with a shotgun anyway. Especially in the fall where the hunting can be very though. Why make it more difficult using a bow or a rifle.;)

Kody94
09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Why is it that the hunting reg's( region 4) states that you can only use shots in the fall...but 22's and center fire rifles are okay in the spring to shoot
Turkeys?

Its never OK to use center fire rifles....just rimfire.

RMG
09-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Its never OK to use center fire rifles....just rimfire.

I have been wondering the exact same thing, about shot only during the fall, but rifles ok for the spring. Upon looking at the regs, it now makes less sense. I can use my 338 mag for grouse, and ptarmigan any time they are open, yet I cant use it for turkeys.

Some times you just gotta shake your head. :confused:

Kody94
09-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I have been wondering the exact same thing, about shot only during the fall, but rifles ok for the spring. Upon looking at the regs, it now makes less sense. I can use my 338 mag for grouse, and ptarmigan any time they are open, yet I cant use it for turkeys.

Some times you just gotta shake your head. :confused:

I can understand the principle behind the centerfire thing....would be pretty easy to overharvest them, in theory. I don't understand why the hyper velocity rimfires are allowed if there is a concern with centerfires though.....17 HMR or 22 WRM take birds out beyond 100 yards.