PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit?

koolken
12-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,I was wondering if any of you guys know how to make rabbit?Mom used to make then when I was a boy but she passed away a couple of years ago,so can't ask her anymore,unfortunately,and I see there are lots of tracks around.Let me know,Thanx.

Marc
12-30-2005, 06:41 PM
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsletters/newsarticles/wildrecipes/list.html

try this link and look under Rabbit. Tonnes of ideas to try with rabbit.

Marc.

CanAm500
12-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Whats rabbit taste like?

Onesock
12-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Chicken!! Chicken!!

CanAm500
12-30-2005, 10:01 PM
lol

doesnt everything nowadays?

BOOMSTICK
12-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Nothing like a good ol' rabbit stew and a couple o' taters!:grin:

And a Beer.

Sideofabarn
04-18-2006, 06:59 PM
If it's young then you can roast the little guy, otherwise the slow cooker is the only way to go. If you don't have one, spend a few bucks and get one, they are invaluable. I usually substitute rabbit for chicken in a cacciatore, plenty of recipes online, it's essentially a tomato base. I add red wine which both adds flavor and tenderises. I tried a french recipe once, but the butter flavour killed the rabbit taste.

Ronforca
04-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Like Boomstick says they maxe a great stew.Throw a Grouse in the stew pot with the Rabbit and you have a feast for a King.

CHilko21
05-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Amen to what sideofabarn said, slow cooker are the way to go! LOL, Rabbit really does taste like chicken...I can remember my aunt doing them up much like we cook grouse, with mushroom soup mix and baking them in the oven...Ronforca, I can definately see where rabbit and grouse would be a wicked supper combination....yumm.

MB_Boy
05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Here is another link to a bunch or recipes. I remember when I was young my Dad used to make an appetizer called Rabbit Surprise, but I don't think it is the same as the one on this link.

http://pan-am.uniserve.com/pg000005.htm

Sikanni Stalker
07-10-2006, 09:20 PM
If you want to taste it just plain Jane then try this. Pressure cooker ( small one) 1 Onion chopped, 4 cloves garlic, and a little moisture....water , apple juice. whatever you like 8 minutes later voila. this is how we do the first one every year, then after that all these recipes will work too. Stew, soup, southern fried, roasted etc. If you can do it to chicken , wabbits work too.

brotherjack
07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
ditto the pressure cooker comments. Also, they will be MUCH more tender eating if you give them 24 hours in the fridge for the rigormortis to get out of the meat.

Hagen
09-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Had rabbitt deep fryed in camp once, tasted pretty good, but missing something, maybe a little bland, but not bad at all though. Certainly willing to try it again

partsman
09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
When making Rabbit, one has to make sure not to get "hare" in it and too much can make you jumpy.:biggrin:

but rabbit is really good, I have not had it for a long time.
Guess I should go out for some.

cannonboy
11-03-2007, 12:09 AM
the best rabbit I ever had was backed in a pie.

Bow Walker
11-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I've been wanting to try a Hunter's Stew with rabbit, squirrel, and grouse. Just can't get all the ingredients together at any one time.

I've also heard it said that rabbit - by itself - has no nutrition whatever. Anyone know for sure?

bsa30-06
11-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I've been wanting to try a Hunter's Stew with rabbit, squirrel, and grouse. Just can't get all the ingredients together at any one time.

I've also heard it said that rabbit - by itself - has no nutrition whatever. Anyone know for sure?

Bow Walker, i have been told the same thing about rabbitts not having nutrition.Maybe somebody here can answer that question.

bsa30-06
11-03-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.hunting-game-nutrition-value.html

anybody interested in nutrition values of game meat can try this link, sorry for the hi-jack but i thought it would help answer the rabbit question.

newhunterette
11-03-2007, 10:47 AM
order a cookbook from marc - recipes for rabbit in the book as many other wonderful delectable delights

:)

Jagermeister
11-03-2007, 12:42 PM

I've also heard it said that rabbit - by itself - has no nutrition whatever. Anyone know for sure?Actually, that's not the case. I just read recently that the protein in rabbit is totally assimilated through digestion by humans, this is not the case with other meats. I'll try to find the article.

kaptkannon
11-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Newhunterette beat me to the sales promo. LOL. And yes there are several recipes even some wild bird recipes that could be modified to use rabbit instead.

Bow Walker
11-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Actually, that's not the case. I just read recently that the protein in rabbit is totally assimilated through digestion by humans, this is not the case with other meats. I'll try to find the article.
It'd be interesting to know for sure...but they are tasty non the less.:p