PDA

View Full Version : My grouse!!

CanAm500
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Well it is the second last day before grouse season ends, and today I shot a big willow! The chicken was standing right in the middle of the road. Im going back out tomorrow to try the other side of the lake. We must have seen 100 + elk out there.

Sry I didnt have a camra, ill try to remember to bring one when we go out tomorrow.

Marc
12-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Congrats on finding a grouse stupid enough to stand on the logging roads this late in the season. I figured by now all the stupid ones would have been shot up. I supose there isn't to many people in the woods disturbing them this time of the year and are probably getting brave again.

My question is they fill their crop with pebbles in the summer from the roads, what do they use in the winter when the ground is covered with snow?

Marc.

Darren
12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Good work on getting the grouse. That is a good question marc? I saw 4 or 5 grouse while out on my a.t.v. on boxing day, might be worth going out for a year end hunt tomorrow!!

CanAm500
12-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Same stuff as in the summer, well atleast this one had the same stuff in its stomach.

Yeah this one was pretty stupid, we where doing 60km on the road and my friend comes to a sudden stop, then i tried to to fit a 20 gauge shell into my shotgun. Pretty stupid for just sitting, it only turned the stupid thing.

Marc
12-30-2005, 06:58 PM
I know hunting can be exciting but you've got to stay safe. Always wait till you've stoped and gotten out of the vehicle before you load your shotgun. Not only is this a safety concern it's against the law to load your gun inside a vehicle or to carry a loaded gun in your vehicle.

You'll learn all of this on your C.O.R.E. course. Your friend who was with you at the time driving who should of had the C.O.R.E. course already should have told you that. If you had been stoped or seen by a CO your buddy could have lost his vehicle and anything inside of it including your gun.

Marc.

ruger#1
12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
baller becareful what you say on here, there are a few cos that read some of this. i met one a month ago and he was talking about it and asked me if there were any other places like this one.

The Bulkley Bruiser
12-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Marc, in the winter the grouse get the gravel joff the raods just after the sand truck goes by. I see this every year while Ptarmigin hunting.

CanAm500
12-30-2005, 09:16 PM
I was outside, sry ment to say that he stopped and then i jumped out...lol im still going over it in my head of how fast we stoped and i bailed.

CanAm500
12-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Marc, in the winter the grouse get the gravel joff the raods just after the sand truck goes by. I see this every year while Ptarmigin hunting.

lol the eat anything that is round.... rocks, gravel, barries, etc :smile:

CanAm500
12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
What kinda of grouse are on the island? I know there is willow and blue grouse, but is there any others?

Thunderstix
12-30-2005, 11:19 PM
What kinda of grouse are on the island? I know there is willow and blue grouse, but is there any others?
I have never even heard of a willow grouse, but I did take the core in 1979.

BlacktailStalker
12-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Lotsa people call the ruffed grouse willow grouse, no clue where the name came from.

Marc
12-31-2005, 01:06 AM
He's refering to a Ruffed Grouse also known as a willow grouse or partridge. They hang out in, you gest it, the willows or alders. I've only ever seen blues and ruffed grouse on the Island so far. But then again I've onlybeen here a short while so that's not to say we dont' have spruce grouse or Hungarian Partridge. I know there are quail on the Island but i haven't come across a pheasant yet but I'm sure there probabyl are some on the farms. The blue grouse are found up high in the mountains. I managed to scratch 3 ruffed grouse a couple of days before the open Deer/Bear season.

Marc.

YukonJack
12-31-2005, 06:25 AM
Yes. Only those two grouse species. We have quail of course, like Marc says, and Pheasant. Rock and Mourning Doves when you find them, and Woodcock/Rail when they pass on through....mmmm, upland birds. Tasty *******s!

...Oh yeah,...the only time I've heard of "Willow Grouse" is when talking about the Ptarmigan...

CanAm500
12-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Alrighty, we are heading out in about 30min to get us a blue grouse (hopefully).

So its ruffled and blue...

Thunderstix
12-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Aaah! Now Ruffed I know about!:-)

Fred
12-31-2005, 10:36 AM
That young whipper snapper was just trying to confuse us Stix! ;-) :biggrin: Fred

johnes50
12-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Well it is the second last day before grouse season ends, and today I shot a big willow! The chicken was standing right in the middle of the road. Im going back out tomorrow to try the other side of the lake. We must have seen 100 + elk out there.

Sry I didnt have a camra, ill try to remember to bring one when we go out tomorrow.
Nice to get a few grouse this late in the season. I haven't seen too many this year.Where'd you see the elk?

Thunderstix
12-31-2005, 11:20 AM
That young whipper snapper was just trying to confuse us Stix! ;-) :biggrin: Fred
I know I kow! They also say stuff like Nip it in the "Butt", instead of "Bud". "Butt" Naked, instead of "Buck". The others will come to me:grin:

elkster
12-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Marc,
there's lots of pheasant on the Island, but most of them are on private property. They are always around our golf course in Port. They are hard to hit with a golf ball. Can't use anything else as its in the city limits and private property all around.

CanAm500
12-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Well just got in, saw 2 grouse but didnt take anyshots at them. One was hiding in some bush that was too dense to shoot at, the other flew off just as we got outta the truck. Oh well, still got two in the freezer.Johnes50: the elk we saw were on the Youbou main line, the main road that takes you up to Shaw, McKay and Cottonwood.

johnes50
12-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Good way to spend the last day of the year.Been up McKay, Shaw area a few times, but haven't been lucky enough to see any elk. Didn't know that elk came that close to the lake, I'll have to go have a look more often. Saw a cougar on McKay once.You live in a nice spot. Enjoy your chickens.

CanAm500
12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
The first time i went out we saw a heard of elk away up Cottonwood almost in Nanaimo, amazing were you can go on these logging roads. Its pretty cool seeing the elk like 10 feet away from you, good thing they weren't bulls.

Fred
12-31-2005, 03:05 PM
I know I kow! They also say stuff like Nip it in the "Butt", instead of "Bud". "Butt" Naked, instead of "Buck". The others will come to me:grin:

I heared a rumour that these kids have made up an internet game called "Confuse a Fart". I an not sure if you are old enough to qualify as a subject of abuse, But I am! :biggrin: Fred

Thunderstix
12-31-2005, 03:17 PM
I personally don't think 40 is old enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

Jager
12-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Just thought I'd add that I've seen ptarmigan on the Island as well. Top of the mountains...and no they were not ruffed aka willow grouse.

CanAm500
12-31-2005, 08:04 PM
Just thought I'd add that I've seen ptarmigan on the Island as well. Top of the mountains...and no they were not ruffed aka willow grouse.

Do they taste the same as grouse or is it completely different?

Darren
01-01-2006, 11:58 AM
I think I have seen ptarmigan also, were they white with a bit of black speckling?

Johnnybear
01-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I haven't seen an ptarmigan but we have lots of pheasants up here in South Nanaimo. As the others have said they are smart buggars and stay to the edges of the farmers fields. In the early morning on the way to work a couple of times I have gotten out of my truck and walked right up to them. I just about grabbed em with my hands right on the side of the road. The ones in this area seem quite tame.

death-junky
01-13-2006, 06:42 PM
has any one alse been wondering where all the grouse have whent????
i havent seen very many and the ones i have seen are gone befor i could shoot.
so i never got a one all year :(
talk to ya all later
Riley

CanAm500
01-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Come down to the lake, theres atleast one on every road :).

My goal next year is to use my .22 for grouse hunting, I want a little bit of a challenge.

hunter1947
01-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Come down to the lake, theres atleast one on every road :).

My goal next year is to use my .22 for grouse hunting, I want a little bit of a challenge. lots of grouse op around the 15 mark on robinson main line. hunter 47.

CanAm500
01-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah there seems to be alota grouse up on that side of the lake. Ive seen 5 or 6 up Truck roads 12 and 2. Caycouse mainline has some aswell.

hunter1947
01-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah there seems to be alota grouse up on that side of the lake. Ive seen 5 or 6 up Truck roads 12 and 2. Caycouse mainline has some aswell. Lens creek has lots of grouse also. wayne.

moose hunter
01-14-2006, 07:10 PM
gouse are not a challenge even with a 22 they just stand there like they think u cant see them

CanAm500
01-14-2006, 07:17 PM
hunter1947 > I am going to try the lens creek this year.

moose_hunter > I know, but still.